Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
I don’t visualise a huge problem if she had presented certain songs she liked to any would be producer. Unless of course they were at the quality of “We Are The Children”.
Katz produced five of the eight songs featured on ross 83, with the disjointed “Girls’ the only Ross production.That’s a fair few.
My point being, when you have the best selling album of your career, why not go for a follow up. If anything, it was a style and genre of music she appeared for the most part to avoid.
i think you're right about the importance of a follow up lp. the story is that chic was to produce a 2nd album on her at motown but of course she left the label before that could happen.

had she stayed - maybe she would have done more chic and maybe not. even if they had produced something, it might not have been released. the very early 80s were really a period of musical change as "disco" died and other more new wave sounds went mainstream.

I believe the next lp would have been a full Masser production with all new tunes, as opposed to the mishmash we got on To Love Again. That would have taken her through 1981

so that puts us at 1982. maybe the label would have brought Michael on board to work with her after the phenomenal success of Off The Wall and the Jackson's work at epic. MJ still had a good relationship with Berry and so even being at a different label probably wouldn't have totally stopped it. and if it was for Diana, hey no rules apply.

Lionel would almost undoubtedly produced her too. Assuming Endless Love still happened [[no reason it shouldn't in this timeline), then Dreaming Of You would probably have been a released too since both artists would have been on the Motown label.