[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Missing You

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I'm not sure the Chic sound is worth revisiting. Do you really want even more of UPSIDE DOWN kind of stuff from her?
    Seems like the artists that got the Chic treatment tapped into it briefly then moved on.
    A little goes a long way.
    Even Chic's own albums ....well I don't listen to them.

Disco worked best as a kaleidoscope of songs and artists and sounds being interweaved together. You got a bit of this and a bit of that and you moved on. That was a big factor in its magic.
    I think the public were clamouring for another “Upside Down” from her. Far more so than dated musical retreads or fluffy pop. There was definitely room for one more album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think the public were clamouring for another “Upside Down” from her. Far more so than dated musical retreads or fluffy pop. There was definitely room for one more album.
    He's right that the Chic sound was dead. She didn't need to revisit that. Besides, Nile Rodgers had moved on had some huge successes.

So in all my criticisms of Diana during this time, I have failed to remember what she was dealing with. She apparently recorded the SA album when her mother was battling cancer. Then her mom dies like a month or two after the album dropped. There's no way Diana was thinking clearly during this time, nor that of when the EA album was being recorded. While I like the SA album, I've been brutal with my thoughts about the EA album and the dumb decisions I feel Diana made with the entire thing. I'm officially forgiving her EA. It's unfair to ask someone to be focused during such a tough time.

That being said, Nile would have been perfect for the follow up to SA. Like A Virgin had blown up, among some of his other projects, and while I wouldn't think Diana needed to be doing Madonna songs, Nile had certainly proven that he could produce quality albums around unique talent. I think he would have found a way to give Diana age appropriate songs that would appeal to the youth market and the more adult market. He most certainly would have given her a better all around album than EA.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    He's right that the Chic sound was dead. She didn't need to revisit that. Besides, Nile Rodgers had moved on had some huge successes.

So in all my criticisms of Diana during this time, I have failed to remember what she was dealing with. She apparently recorded the SA album when her mother was battling cancer. Then her mom dies like a month or two after the album dropped. There's no way Diana was thinking clearly during this time, nor that of when the EA album was being recorded. While I like the SA album, I've been brutal with my thoughts about the EA album and the dumb decisions I feel Diana made with the entire thing. I'm officially forgiving her EA. It's unfair to ask someone to be focused during such a tough time.

That being said, Nile would have been perfect for the follow up to SA. Like A Virgin had blown up, among some of his other projects, and while I wouldn't think Diana needed to be doing Madonna songs, Nile had certainly proven that he could produce quality albums around unique talent. I think he would have found a way to give Diana age appropriate songs that would appeal to the youth market and the more adult market. He most certainly would have given her a better all around album than EA.
    Without sounding hard hearted, it’s hard to comprehend that she spent two years not thinking clearly owing to her mother’s illness. It must have been difficult having to perform at Radio City every night, but i can’t believe the task of finding a strong producer would have added additional strain to the process of recording an album.
    Many of us have to deal with the grief of losing a parent while still having to make important business decisions. Having a single producer take control would i have thought been an asset in freeing up time for her to concentrate on more personal matters during that difficult time.
    I definitely think she should have teamed up with Nile and Bernard anytime between 81 -87. None of the albums she recorded during that time frame will ever be considered classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Without sounding hard hearted, it’s hard to comprehend that she spent two years not thinking clearly owing to her mother’s illness. It must have been difficult having to perform at Radio City every night, but i can’t believe the task of finding a strong producer would have added additional strain to the process of recording an album.
    Many of us have to deal with the grief of losing a parent while still having to make important business decisions. Having a single producer take control would i have thought been an asset in freeing up time for her to concentrate on more personal matters during that difficult time.
    I definitely think she should have teamed up with Nile and Bernard anytime between 81 -87. None of the albums she recorded during that time frame will ever be considered classics.
    As I have to repeatedly remind people, grief affects everyone in different ways. And yes, cloudy judgement is one of those things. And because one person can do "thing A" while grieving, another person may find it hard to even get out of bed. So yeah, I can forgive her these mistakes. Now, of course I have no way of knowing if this was Diana's issue or not. Contrary to popular belief, she doesn't confide in me. I'm just giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As I have to repeatedly remind people, grief affects everyone in different ways. And yes, cloudy judgement is one of those things. And because one person can do "thing A" while grieving, another person may find it hard to even get out of bed. So yeah, I can forgive her these mistakes. Now, of course I have no way of knowing if this was Diana's issue or not. Contrary to popular belief, she doesn't confide in me. I'm just giving her the benefit of the doubt.
    I think few of us need any lessons on grief, but can’t really see it was responsible for her making questionable decisions over a two year period.
    Until that all revealing book arrives, i guess we will never know for sure.