Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
I never heard that Berry hated Stoned Love
i'm not sure if it was Frank Wilson or Barney Ales that told the story, but yeah it's been said he didn't like it

it possible that it's too cerebral. Berry was a fan of the old adage, KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. make the storyline believable, to the point, of the moment, direct. don't get all weird and fancy and confusing as that makes it harder for a general listener to pick up what the song is saying.

it's also been said by many people that Berry was very Black and White. a song was either a smash or garbage. no middle ground

so Stoned Love comes along with its unique imagery of a man on who's shoulders the world must depend. the various nature and god themes. while it's not a complex riddle, you do have to sort of listen to the lyrics to grasp it. i've had friends that are not familiar with the expanded body of the Supremes ask what the song was about when they just happen to hear it in my car or at home or whatever. they're used to Baby Love and Someday and You Keep Me Hanging On - songs that are about love and heartbreak. very straightforward.