[REMOVE ADS]

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Rock Hall Plaza
    2024 nominees announced
    ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES NOMINEES FOR 2024 INDUCTION
    THE 2024 CEREMONY RETURNS TO DISNEY+ AND ABC
    The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced today the following Nominees for 2024 Induction:
    Mary J. Blige
    Mariah Carey
    Cher
    Dave Matthews Band
    Eric B. & Rakim
    Foreigner
    Peter Frampton
    Jane's Addiction
    Kool & the Gang
    Lenny Kravitz
    Oasis
    Sinéad O'Connor
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Sade
    A Tribe Called Quest
    The 2024 ceremony will once again stream live on Disney+ with a special airing on ABC at a later date and available on Hulu the next day. The 2023 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony streamed live on Disney+ for the first time ever; the special on ABC reached over 13 million viewers across linear and streaming, and ABC’s New Year’s Day telecast was the No. 1 entertainment choice among Adults18-49.
    To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. Ten out of 15 of the Nominees are on the ballot for the first time, including Mariah Carey, Cher, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Kool & the Gang, Lenny Kravitz, Oasis, Sinéad O’Connor, Ozzy Osbourne and Sade.
    “This remarkable list of Nominees reflects the diverse artists and music that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame honors and celebrates,” said John Sykes, Chairman of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. “Continuing in the true spirit of Rock & Roll, these artists have created their own sounds that have impacted generations and influenced countless others that have followed in their footsteps.” 
    The Nominees were announced today in partnership with ABC/Disney+ at the TCA in Los Angeles and on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame social channels.
    Nominee ballots will be sent to an international voting body of more than 1,000 artists, historians, and members of the music industry. An artist’s musical impact and influence on other artists, length and depth of career and body of work as well as innovation and superiority in style and technique are taken into consideration.
     Inductees will be announced in late April. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2024 Induction Ceremony will take place in Cleveland this fall with date and on-sale information to be announced.
    Select Rock & Roll Hall of Fame donors and members receive exclusive Induction ticket opportunities. Donate or join by June 30 to be eligible. Visit rockhall.com/membership to learn more.
    Press can access hi-resolution images and bios for the 2024 Nominees can be found here. Media credential applications for the Induction Ceremony will open in July.

About the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
    Born from the collision of rhythm & blues, country, and gospel, rock & roll is a spirit that is inclusive and ever-changing. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame celebrates the sound of youth culture and honors the artists whose music connects us all. We share stories of the people, events, and songs that shape our world through digital content, innovative exhibits, live music, engaging programs, and our annual Induction Ceremony. We intentionally foster a diverse and equitable non-profit Museum that encourages and embraces creativity and innovation. As a community leader, we value, empower, and respect all people. Join the millions who love rock & roll as much as you do. Visit us in Cleveland, Ohio or at rockhall.com and follow us on Facebook [[@rockandrollhalloffame), Instagram [[@rockhall), Twitter [[@rockhall), TikTok [[@RockHallFame), and YouTube [[youtube.com/rockhall).

###
    A TRIBE CALLED QUEST
    A Tribe Called Quest forever shifted the hip-hop landscape and expanded the creative possibilities for music. Their freedom of expression, ingenuity, and minimalist brilliance continue to inspire generations of artists and fans.
    One of the most artistic, eclectic, and perceptive rap groups of the 1990s, A Tribe Called Quest nurtured a new alternative hip-hop sub-genre with a caste-free cross-pollination of hip-hop, jazz, and alternative rock. The pioneering group abandoned the aggressive machismo and hard-hitting sounds of James Brown that were prevalent in the era, delving instead into the more laid-back samples of the jazz-rap revolution. Their music was meant to create a metaphysical space for the listener, where one could retreat and confront the social issues facing the African American community with peace rather than rage and violence. This cerebral approach exemplified an intermingling of cultures and sound to yield beauty and understanding.
    Formed in high school in Queens, New York, in 1985, A Tribe Called Quest featured Q-Tip serving as the producer-leader, Phife Dawg as the MC, Jarobi White as the spirited everyman, and Ali Shaheed Muhammad as the DJ and coproducer. Within four years, the group released three albums, now recognized as among the best: People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, The Low End Theory, and Midnight Marauders. “It was listening to N.W.A’s Straight Outta Compton that inspired us to make The Low End Theory,” said Q-Tip. “Years later, I spoke to Dr. Dre, and he told me that hearing The Low End Theory inspired him to make The Chronic.”
    The group became the nucleus of a New York collective known as the Native Tongues, a musical movement deeply rooted in Afrocentrism and positive, open-minded messages welcoming diverse identities and conceptions of Blackness. They created underground waves that continue to ripple throughout hip-hop, influencing artists like Pharrell Williams, Tyler, the Creator, and Quest Love in their approaches to social commentary, the use of Black musical traditions, and the visual culture of the African diaspora.
    Selected discography:
    “Can I Kick It?,” “Bonita Applebum,” “I Left My Wallet in El Segundo,” People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm [[1990) • “Check the Rhime,” “Jazz [[We’ve Got),” “Scenario,” “Buggin’ Out,” The Low End Theory [[1991) • “Electric Relaxation,” “Award Tour,” Midnight Marauders [[1993) • “Find a Way,” The Love Movement [[1998)
    Nominees: Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Phife Dawg, Q-Tip, Jarobi White

CHER
    An artist so iconic she needs only one name, Cher has used her distinctive voice, stage presence, and avant-garde fashion to achieve unprecedented success while blazing a trail for women performers. A musician who personifies female creative freedom in a male-dominated industry, Cher is the only woman to have a Number One hit on a Billboard chart in each of the past seven decades.
    Cher’s breakthrough came from her work with then-husband Sonny Bono in the duo Sonny & Cher. Their 1965 signature hit “I Got You Babe” was a definitive musical moment for the early hippie counterculture. Amid the pair’s success, Cher launched a solo career, scoring hits like “Bang Bang.” In 1971, The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour TV variety show helped establish Cher as a consummate entertainer and fashion icon. From bell-bottom jeans to feathered headdresses to navel-baring evening gowns, Cher has always brought personality and bold irreverence to her looks.
    In the early 1970s, Cher gained even more popularity as a solo performer, and for more than five decades, she continuously reinvented her style and mastered multiple musical genres. Equally adept at the earthy folk pop of “Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves,” the melodic disco of “Take Me Home,” and power ballads like “I Found Someone,” Cher’s versatility is evident. With acting roles in Silkwood [[1983) and Mask [[1985), Cher also became a star of the silver screen, winning the Academy Award for Best Actress for Moonstruck in 1987.
    Cher released the quintessential dance-pop classic “Believe” in 1998, pioneering the use of Auto-Tune as an artistic tool. This worldwide hit became an enduring queer anthem, solidifying her role as a longtime ally of – and inspiration to – the LGBTQIA+ community. Cher’s work has influenced other trailblazing artists including Madonna, Beyoncé, and Lady Gaga. She has continued to fill dance floors with singles like “Woman’s World” and her 2018 ABBA covers album Dancing Queen. A tenacious performer who has triumphed over adversity and made comeback after comeback, Cher has earned her status as the Goddess of Pop.
    Selected discography:
    “I Got You Babe” [[Sonny and Cher) [[1965) • “Bang Bang [[My Baby Shot Me Down)” [[1966) • “Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves” [[1971) • “I Found Someone,” “We All Sleep Alone,” Cher [[1987) • Heart of Stone [[1989) • Believe [[1998) • “A Song for the Lonely,” Living Proof [[2001) • “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” [[2010) • “Woman’s World,” Closer to the Truth [[2013)
    Nominee: Cher

crock of CRAP. NOT CREDIBLE!!The Marvelettes & Mary Wells are TRUE/REAL ROCK PIONEERS.

Cher got nominated? I wonder if she will keep her word, when she said this in Dec when her Christmas album was on the charts

In the past, Cher expressed her feelings candidly. She once stated, “You know what, I wouldn’t be in it now if they gave me a million dollars. I’m not kidding you. I’m never going to change my mind. They can just go you-know-what themselves”

And still no Connie Francis? Still no nomination She is now 86 and retired. But she was all over the charts in the late fifties and early sixties.

Connie Francis was the first woman to reach No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 in 1960. She sold over a hundred million records worldwide, and still nothing from the Hall of Fame. No respect for that organization.

I hope Cher keeps her word

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    We're all watching LOL. And if she does not...

The article alludes to the problem they have juggling the contemporary artists with a huge career vs. the rock band that falls clearly within “rock and roll”.

But they’ve not juggled the two very well and in the process, combined with Jann Wenner, they’ve compromised their credibility.

This crop isn’t going to fix anything.

I hope Cher stands her ground and I bet they will kiss her ass like you wouldn’t believe.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Cher got nominated? I wonder if she will keep her word, when she said this in Dec when her Christmas album was on the charts

In the past, Cher expressed her feelings candidly. She once stated, “You know what, I wouldn’t be in it now if they gave me a million dollars. I’m not kidding you. I’m never going to change my mind. They can just go you-know-what themselves”

And still no Connie Francis? Still no nomination She is now 86 and retired. But she was all over the charts in the late fifties and early sixties.

Connie Francis was the first woman to reach No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 in 1960. She sold over a hundred million records worldwide, and still nothing from the Hall of Fame. No respect for that organization.

Milven, I couldn't agree with you more. It's a damned shame that Connie has been so blatantly ignored. It's a real slap in the face after all of the many MGM hits that she's had over the years. But Connie's attitude at this point in the game is to hell with it. She doesn't want it now. "It's too late!" Who could blame her?
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-15-2024 at 05:43 AM.

I don’t see Tiny Tim in the list. He can’t be far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I don’t see Tiny Tim in the list. He can’t be far behind.
    He haw!
    Bobby Sherman anyone !? Long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    He haw!
    Bobby Sherman anyone !? Long overdue.
    If memory servers right, Bobby Sherman was inducted last year along with Debby Boone.

Here’s hoping Charo is inducted next year.

Cuchi-cuchi
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-15-2024 at 07:06 PM.