[REMOVE ADS]

SUPERBOWL Half Time Show

Okay.....why hasn't Usher been cast in a Marvin Gaye biopic?

Someone want to explain to me what that mess was all about?

Ralph, it's what all the kids are doing!?! Lol.

I really wasn't that impressed, but I will say, there was a moment when Usher had his shirt off and he was glistening in sweat, and it gave me a 1000% Marvin vibe.

I won't be running out to buy any of his cds but I thought Usher put on an entertaining show. It was certainly better than Rihanna's performance last year.

As a reminder that time is marching on, my 7 year old grandson said “he’s taking his shirt off!”

I told him when Michael Jackson did the half time show, 99 million people watched the Super Bowl and 133 million people watched the half time show.

He said “who’s Michael Jackson?”

I watched the two halves of the game but passed on the halftime show. I haven't seen one yet that I found that interesting. They always sound so mechanical and electronic.

@MaryBrewster, Usher and company [with the exception of Alicia Keys] definitely killed, but I think him playing MPG mightn't fly in on the big screen. Lifetime, possibly. He's definitely taken a page out of Marvin's book, though...I see why you'd say that.

And how 'bout that Yeehawncé drop? So on-brand and timely. Here for it!
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-12-2024 at 08:14 AM.

David, you missed nothing. Trust me. Complete waste of time.

Mary, I feel sorry for today's kids. They have no concept of real talent. Bring back the bands for half time shows.

And when I say "bands", I don't mean Boy Bands.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Mary, I feel sorry for today's kids. They have no concept of real talent. Bring back the bands for half time shows.
    Aw, come on, Ralph! I get a sense that you're not a fan of hip hop, but you can't deny that Usher is talented, now. He's an old-school showman in the mold of the great R&B song-and-dance men, IMHO. And unlike most autotuned brats these days, that mic was ON.

I've got no beef with Usher or Hip Hop if done well. What I generally see from some of the acts is poor arranging. So many times {and it happened last night} a song will just end abruptly. I'm an old school musician. I believe in composition, which includes verses and choruses with maybe a bridge thrown in for good measure, AND a well thought out ending. Generally I don't see that in most Hip Hop, and don't get me started on sampling. I've been hit a few times. As far as last night's show....close but no cigar.
    Last edited by ralpht; 02-12-2024 at 10:15 AM.

I've got no beef with Usher or Hip Hop if done well. What I generally see from some of the acts is poor arranging. So many times {and it happened last night} a song will just end abruptly. I'm an old school musician. I believe in composition, which includes verses and choruses with maybe a bridge thrown in for good measure, AND a well thought out ending. Generally I don't see that in most Hip Hop, and don't get me started on sampling. I've been hit a few times. As far as last night's show....close but no cigar.
    Fair enough.

Thank you, Sans, for accepting my rant.

And further more.....I like Usher. He definitely is more Old School than most of his contemporaries. I would like to see him on the Super Bowl stage with a kick-ass band , and good back up singers. Then just sing to his audience. I know it would go well and he could leave the cheese behind.

I used that time to make a quick run to Grocery Outlet for some popcorn. hee haw !
    Great finale [the game itself]!

And further more.....I like Usher. He definitely is more Old School than most of his contemporaries. I would like to see him on the Super Bowl stage with a kick-ass band , and good back up singers. Then just sing to his audience. I know it would go well and he could leave the cheese behind.
    I feel ya. Personally, I got a charge out of the breakneck pace... he had 30+ years of hits to cover in 13 minutes, after all...but removing one glittery white glove was a bridge too far for me. I'm like, "I see whatcha did there. You're good, but not that good, kid. Simmer down, now."
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-12-2024 at 11:40 AM.

so true… the world is so dumbed-down …

I believe Usher is indeed a very, very talented entertainer. I recall when I saw his video, "Call Me a Mack" back before he ever became popular or mainstream. I said to my friends, "This little guy is gonna be something someday." There was just an "it" factor that I detected.