[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves' Exclusive Newsletters

Way back when [I do not know the time frame] for $20 one could subscribe to Martha's Exclusive Newsletter. The money order was to be sent to a post office box in Paramount, CA.

Subscribers were entitled to:

One newsletter each month for 1 year [[12 newsletters)
    Exclusive information about Martha Reeves
    Information about her touring engagements, television appearances, etc.
    Invitations to events, celebrations and private parties
    Special awards will be presented to devoted fans
    Information about her memorabilia

I would like to know the following:

How many issues were ever issued?
    Does any forum members have these in their collection, if so would you be willing to share them?

I regret deeply not taking advantage of this at that time, but I didn't.

Thanks for any insight into this information.

I remember writing to the fan club address listed in the Vandellas' LIVE WIRE!: THE SINGLES 1962-1972 set, but I don't recall ever receiving anything.

In the early 1990s there was drag queen out of NYC who will remain nameless that advertised a Martha fan club. We all sent him money and never got anything in return. When I inquired several months later to him he mailed me a profanity-laced letter that I forwarded to Martha. She did know him and put an end to that.

Later there was one out of California but it didn't last very long unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    In the early 1990s there was drag queen out of NYC who will remain nameless that advertised a Martha fan club. We all sent him money and never got anything in return. When I inquired several months later to him he mailed me a profanity-laced letter that I forwarded to Martha. She did know him and put an end to that.

Later there was one out of California but it didn't last very long unfortunately.
    Tony Turner? Lol.

It is a shame when sincere fans such as ourselves are duped like that. Reminds me of that guy 10 years or so ago that was supposedly selling the Motown drink coasters. Fortunately my credit card company ultimately refunded my money.

The only positive experience I had with fan clubs was the old Dionne Warwick club run by the two gals from Pennsylvania. They delivered a quality newsletter and helped me connect with many friends that I still have today.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

The only positive experience I had with fan clubs was the old Dionne Warwick club run by the two gals from Pennsylvania. They delivered a quality newsletter and helped me connect with many friends that I still have today.
    They were very nice women. I met them when Dionne was doing a tryout of her "DIONNE SINGS DIONNE" show. But then I think Dionne's club was being handled by someone else?

The worst example I can remember is the person who supposedly had access to a bunch of rare Motown video and was charging outrageous prices for it. I had a friend who offered to spilt the cost with some other fans but in the end, decided against it. I don't recall hearing that anyone ever received a thing.

The Supremes and later, Mary Wilson, always had a quality Fan Club and newsletter. I've been so fortunate to collect all of the MW newsletters, and now am on the hunt for The Supremes newsletters. I treasure them all.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Tony Turner? Lol.
    No was not Tony Turner

Somewhere packed away, I have a group of the newsletters. They were usually a one page flyer type newsletter printed on the front and back.

Found the eight newsletters I received. They are printed on one side. Now I have to figure out how to upload. My first couple of attempts were unsuccessful.

newsletters

The first four I received!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

last newsletters

The final upload
    Attached Images Attached Images