Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
I just noted that both the Tri-Phi and Harvey labels had all their releases produced by Hardye Producing Company. Does anyone know if there is any significance to Hardye Producing Company - surely the Har in Hardye refers to Harvey Fuqua but does anyone know if there is any significance to Dye?

I also just noticed that Harvey Fuqua, in addition to Tri Phi and Harvey labels also owned a gospel label entitled Message for which there were 3 releases. This was the first I had ever heard of the Message label.

Can anyone shed any additional light on this label?
Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  21.1 KB
I've read, and been told that Hardye Producing Co. was owned by Harvey Fuqua and Gwen Gordy [[and a few people also mentioned that Anna Gordy was also a partner-but I I'm not sure about that). The "Har' stood for Harvey. The 'dy" may have stood for Gordy [[Gwen or Gwen and Anna) - maybe the "e" stood for Esther [[for their other sister, Esther, who later ran The Motown Museum)?

Message records was Hardye's Gospel label. I've seen a discography entry and label scan for a 4th issue, other than the 3 above, sung by a different group. In addition to Harvey, Tri-Phi and message, Hardye also operated HPC Records, which stood for "Hardeye Producing Co." It was notable for having Clyde Wilson [[AKA "Steve Mancha") as one of its artists. After Hardye was "Folded into Motown" in 1963, Wilson was given a songwriter's contract, and wrote songs for Jobete music, but not offered a singing artist's contract, so he left in 1965, to work with ex-Motowner', Don Davis, at the latter's Groovesville records.