[REMOVE ADS]

Obscure/forgotten Primettes members

Before you joke around, no, I am not talking about the Andantes.

I remember seeing a youtube video several years ago where two elderly ladies talk how they were in the Primettes, either after DMF Barbra/DMF Betty left the group for Motown or before.

What is this story of this forgotten chapter of Supremes history? I'd doubt Mary would have written about it in Dreamgirl.
    Last edited by IMissFlo93; 01-23-2024 at 02:06 PM.

i think this is just random people rattling off nonsense. maybe some cousin of a member happened to sing with them one day or maybe someone was sick and so a friend jumped into the lineup for 1 sock hop

given that not a single authoritative source has ever mentioned anything of this, it's just gossip

Two older women sang on "Tears of Sorrow" and "Pretty Baby" with Diana, Flo and Mary. Betty had left the Primettes and Barbara was not in the group yet so these women were used to help fill out the sound.

Maybe this is what you're remembering. Mary mentions it in Dreamgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Two older women sang on "Tears of Sorrow" and "Pretty Baby" with Diana, Flo and Mary. Betty had left the Primettes and Barbara was not in the group yet so these women were used to help fill out the sound.

Maybe this is what you're remembering. Mary mentions it in Dreamgirl.
    This area has always been murky to me. In the 2009 interview with Barbara Martin, she recalls recording at LuPine and being on these two songs.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    This area has always been murky to me. In the 2009 interview with Barbara Martin, she recalls recording at LuPine and being on these two songs.
    I wonder if Barbara is confusing singing on the Motown remake of TEARS OF SORROW as opposed to the Lupine original.

That may be right- Barbara is on a few tracks on " Meet The Supremes" but I remember the interview of the two singers that were used on the Lupine tracks. I have it on a file of mine and it was once on Youtube. So, there were actually five singers on "Tears of Sorrow" and "Pretty Baby."

I think there should be a congressional investigation about this!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm betting Mary's recollection is the correct one. But while Barbara isn't on the two songs the Primettes cut, she is with the group when they moonlighted as backing vocalists at various times in the early 60s at Lupine. That's probably what she's remembering, recording sessions at Motown and at Lupine.