[REMOVE ADS]

New Reissues from the Motown Catalog are in the works.

From Adam White's Latest West Grand Blog -

Now, recent years have seen a decline in the number of Motown catalogue reissues and expanded editions, attributable in part to the record industry’s evolution into a digital streaming business and to the reality of changing demographics [as suggested in this earlier WGB piece]. However, there is at least one 2CD set due this spring [from an independent U.S. label, licensed by Motown] which features underrated material by one of the company’s premier acts*. Meanwhile, Britain’s Ace Records has been working on a third volume of Motown Guys, although progress is slow. The firm does have A Different World – The Holland/Dozier/Holland Songbook coming soon, a 24-track CD in its well-regarded Songwriter series [one of which offered the pre-Motown work of Nickolas Ashford/Valerie Simpson/Joshie Armstead. A Different World mixes expected H/D/H classics by the original artists [Four Tops, Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Kim Weston and more] with a choice of non-Motown renderings by the likes of Big Al Downing [“I Can’t Help Myself”], the Fall [“There’s A Ghost In My House”], Vanilla Fudge [“You Keep Me Hangin’ On”], Bettye Swann [“This Old Heart Of Mine”] and Laura Nyro [“Come And Get These Memories”], among others. It was compiled by Tony Rounce, a respected authority on American music of various genres, who has worked with Ace for many years.

* There's no word yet on this upcoming 2CD set from one of Motown's Premier Acts, but this news is very interesting.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 01-20-2024 at 06:00 AM.

"Underrated material" what can that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Very Good Question! Until more info on this collections comes out, we'll have to wait and see what 'underrated material' means [unless Adam White meant to say 'unreleased material'].

An upcoming 2CD set from one of Motown's premier acts ... maybe Hattie Littles ?

I know this will never happen, but based on my Discogs sales, if Motown were to ever re-issue the twofer series, I think the demand would still very much be there.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Maybe it was songs that were rejected by the legendary Quality Control group.

Great news but I won`t be buying the HDH disc as I don`t like outside covers of Motown treasures.

Nothing against the amazing HDH, but if this set contain the hits that every Motown fan has then who is going to buy it? Fans want the expanded editions. If we can't get those in the physical form then release them digitally. I know some aren't fans of things in digital form, but I feel at this point we need to take whatever format. Universal can't even that in gear. But by all means let's reissue What's Going On for the 739th time.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    But by all means let's reissue What's Going On for the 739th time.
    740th - I think you may have forgotten one of the 2fers.

This is great news for all of us waiting for new old stuff!

Ace know what they're doing & the market their releases are aimed at ... SO NO ... this set WON'T contain the hits that every Motown fan has. Their release will contain 'cherry-picked' tracks & won't be just a hotchpotch of everything & anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Ace know what they're doing & the market their releases are aimed at ... SO NO ... this set WON'T contain the hits that every Motown fan has. Their release will contain 'cherry-picked' tracks & won't be just a hotchpotch of everything & anything.
    We hope...

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Nothing against the amazing HDH, but if this set contain the hits that every Motown fan has then who is going to buy it? Fans want the expanded editions. If we can't get those in the physical form then release them digitally. I know some aren't fans of things in digital form, but I feel at this point we need to take whatever format. Universal can't even that in gear. But by all means let's reissue What's Going On for the 739th time.
    Does anyone care what the fans want though? We've been asking for REFLECTIONS EE for years.