[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Last Time.....

Last Time.....

When was the last time a [[or any) Supremes lineup [[1963-1977) was photographed together?

Technically, I think you could say DMF were photographed in 1976 for Flo's funeral.

DMC? Was it Motown 25?

I think there was a MSS photo at a Grammy Museum function.

scherrie ,lynda and susaye recently performed together

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    scherrie ,lynda and susaye recently performed together
    Right, but I was thinking more "legitimate" lineups:

DMF
    DMC
    JMC
    JML
    MSC
    MSS

MSC were photographed at some show Mary did like 10 years or so ago. I also believe it's one of the last times Cindy appeared in public.

I remember reading on here or in the yahoo groups that someone had seen a picture of DMF together at a party sometime after Flo had left the group. I always wondered if it was from the infamous party at Berry's mansion. I hoped someday this picture would surface but it never has.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    MSC were photographed at some show Mary did like 10 years or so ago. I also believe it's one of the last times Cindy appeared in public.

I remember reading on here or in the yahoo groups that someone had seen a picture of DMF together at a party sometime after Flo had left the group. I always wondered if it was from the infamous party at Berry's mansion. I hoped someday this picture would surface but it never has.
    I’ve always found that story so hard to swallow. I know there’s always two sides to a story, but if what Florence and Mary said about Diana and Berry that night was true, that’s really low. If a picture of them existed from that night, that might disrupt that narrative a little. I hope.

I think with DMF that last official shots are of them in the pink dresses out in the desert of Vegas. Unofficially, it’s probably the photographs of Flo’s birthday the day before she was fired. It’s a weird bit of voyeurism into such a tumultuous time for the group. There’s one where she’s visibly sullen at her own party, then there’s one of her out dancing that night and she almost looks happy. And then she’s gone the next day.

Diana, Mary, Florence - Florence's birthday party [[June 30, 1967)

Diana, Mary, Cindy - Motown 25 [[March 25, 1983)

Jean, Mary, Cindy - HAL Awards [[September 28, 2003)

Jean, Mary, Lynda - Jean's solo concert [[May 27, 1984)

Scherrie, Mary, Cindy - Mary's Lena Horne show [[September 29, 2011)

Scherrie, Mary, Susaye - HAL Awards [[September 24, 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    I’ve always found that story so hard to swallow. I know there’s always two sides to a story, but if what Florence and Mary said about Diana and Berry that night was true, that’s really low. If a picture of them existed from that night, that might disrupt that narrative a little. I hope.

I think with DMF that last official shots are of them in the pink dresses out in the desert of Vegas. Unofficially, it’s probably the photographs of Flo’s birthday the day before she was fired. It’s a weird bit of voyeurism into such a tumultuous time for the group. There’s one where she’s visibly sullen at her own party, then there’s one of her out dancing that night and she almost looks happy. And then she’s gone the next day.
    i’ve always wondered about that story, I hope that it isn’t true, but I also hope it is true, because I want to believe what is in certain books, even though I already don’t believe what is in certain books. So try to make sense out of that. if it is true, I don’t believe that it was as nasty as described only because Diana and Florence made up, and Florence initiated it. I don’t know that she would have forgotten that repeated, deliberate, means spirited nastiness. the whole thing is suspicious to me, because I’m shocked that Florence would even go to that party so soon after being fired, and I can’t believe that Mary really thought it was a smart thing to do. And what did Berry do when he saw her there? I doubt that he expected her to attend, since I doubt she had been invited. The whole thing seems a little fishy to me but, it’s damn good dirt.

I can believe it. I don't think Flo and Diana made up until Diana left the Supremes.

Also Flo says that Mary and Fuller Gordy talked her into going to the party. She very reluctantly went. What I can't understand is how did Mary think this was a good idea? Was she really that optimistic? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    i’ve always wondered about that story, I hope that it isn’t true, but I also hope it is true, because I want to believe what is in certain books, even though I already don’t believe what is in certain books. So try to make sense out of that. if it is true, I don’t believe that it was as nasty as described only because Diana and Florence made up, and Florence initiated it. I don’t know that she would have forgotten that repeated, deliberate, means spirited nastiness. the whole thing is suspicious to me, because I’m shocked that Florence would even go to that party so soon after being fired, and I can’t believe that Mary really thought it was a smart thing to do. And what did Berry do when he saw her there? I doubt that he expected her to attend, since I doubt she had been invited. The whole thing seems a little fishy to me but, it’s damn good dirt.
    there was a LOT of animosity between Flo and Diana and Berry over the whole issue of Flo's departure. and we can't forget that Flo was an active participant in the entire debacle. she is not purely an innocent victim.

this party occurred only shortly after Flo left and so feelings were still very raw. and then alcohol was involved with all parties and that only made things worse. now did it actually play out exactly as Tony Turner outlined in his book - probably not. Was Mary's version 100% - also probably not since much of her Dreamgirl book was leveraging info from Tony in the writing. This isn't to say D and F weren't snipping at each other - i'm sure they were. i'm just not sure it occurred as exactly as described in a few of the books.

but in the end, yes. i do believe M encouraged F to attend and F did so, reluctantly. everyone had some alcohol that night and as the evening wore on, hurt feeling, animosity, etc came out. and Berry finally said get her out of here, especially since this is MY party and I didn't invite her!

Flo's version isn't quite as dramatic as Mary's. Its very similar though.

She basically just says that Diana had tugged on her wig, Flo told her to not do it again, Diana went back to Berry and told him Flo was trying to start shit with her and Berry went up to Flo telling her if she doesn't leave he'll have her thrown out. She says Mary was very upset over this and left with Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Flo's version isn't quite as dramatic as Mary's. Its very similar though.

She basically just says that Diana had tugged on her wig, Flo told her to not do it again, Diana went back to Berry and told him Flo was trying to start shit with her and Berry went up to Flo telling her if she doesn't leave he'll have her thrown out. She says Mary was very upset over this and left with Flo.
    And there’s no reason not to believe that’s exactly what happened. Considering the events surrounding Flo’s dismissal, i don’t think Diana tugging on Flo’s wig was the most cordial of things to do. Just a friendly hi would have sufficed.
    By all accounts, it was extremely upsetting for Mary who just wanted Flo to have the opportunity to catch-up with the people she hadn’t had the chance to say her farewells to.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-06-2024 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    And there’s no reason not to believe that’s exactly what happened. Considering the events surrounding Flo’s dismissal, i don’t think Diana tugging on Flo’s wig was the most cordial of things to do. Just a friendly hi would have sufficed.
    By all accounts, it was extremely upsetting for Mary who just wanted Flo to have the opportunity to catch-up with the people she hadn’t had the chance to say her farewells to.
    That’s what I’m saying. Tugging at someone’s hair, for ANY REASON, is ratchet as hell. I don’t care what Flo’s involvement was in her departure, you can’t ever claim to be innocent if you pull a stunt like that. It’s WILD to me that Mary and Fuller would have thought it was a good idea to invite Florence, but if this little stunt is true, it really gives Florence a lot of credence for the bitterness she felt.

Keep in mind that Flo might have already had some alcohol in her system when this "tug" happened and it could have been something Diana did accidentally, or something Flo thought happened when Diana touched her hair. I think it was Mary who remembered that Diana made some kind of crack about Flo's weight. That's probably what really set things off. Flo's weight was already a touchy subject before she left the group, and now she was pregnant, and you know how sensitive pregnant women can be about their weight. So if Diana made a crack, yeah, I could see Flo getting fed up.

But apparently before things escalated, the original Supremes had a pleasant reunion. Who set the unraveling in motion? I bet all three Supremes were under the influence, so who knows? But it is interesting that the story, at least as told by Flo and Mary, depict Diana as sort of the bratty-always starting something- young lady she had always been, and Flo as the reactionary-finish what you start- young lady she had always been.

And thus started the trend of failed Supremes reunions.

thinking out loud. during jean solo show in late 80s
    both Mary W and Lynda L were in the audience and Jean called them both up on stage to do Everybodys Got The Right To love....

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post

And thus started the trend of failed Supremes reunions.
    haha excellent point! hadn't ever thought of this story in this way but you're spot on!!