[REMOVE ADS]

Donna and gladys among those getting grammy lifetime achievement award

" HIP-HOP TRAILBLAZERS, THE Queen of Disco, and a country legend are among the artists set to receive the Recording Academy’s 2024 Lifetime Achievement Award.

N.W.A., Donna Summer, and Tammy Wynette lead this year’s honorary slate, and will be celebrated at the Recording Academy’s Special Merit Awards Ceremony on Feb. 3, the day before the 2024 Grammys. Other honorees include avant-garde great Laurie Anderson, the “Empress of Soul” Gladys Knight, and the celebrated gospel group the Clark Sisters.

In addition to its Lifetime Achievement Award winners, the Recording Academy announced the recipients of its other merit prizes. The Trustees Award — given to those who’ve made significant contributions to music, other than performance — will be given to rap pioneer DJ Kool Herc, guitarist Peter Asher, and industry stalwart Joel Katz.

This year’s Technical Grammy Award Honorees [[for those who’ve made significant technical contributions to the recording field) will be given to audio engineers Tom Kobayashi and Tom Scott. And the Best Song for Social Change Award will go to K’naan’s “Refugee,” co-written with Steve McEwan and Gerald Eaton. "

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ds-1234940764/

Highlites from Gladys Knight's acceptance speech for her Lifetime Acheivemnt Award from Rolling Stone.com-

“I love you,” Knight said sweetly as she started her acceptance speech after her own extended standing ovation. “We love you too!” someone in the audience yelled back.

“I tell you, it’s been a wonderful, awesome journey,” Knight said. “And I’m grateful to be here with all of you. I love you. I would not have been able to be in this position without each one of us coming together.
    The seven-time Grammy winner who’s scored Number One hits in pop, gospel, R&B and adult contemporary stopped her speech repeatedly to thank and compliment the crowd. “You look so good right now. You all looking good,” she said to the delighted audience. “Thank you for allowing me to give you just a little bit of what has become of my life. …I am so grateful. Ohhh, you should see you from up here. I thank you so much for allowing me to be here tonight.”

And Donna Summer's award from Rolling Stone.com--

Family members accepted the posthumously awarded trophies for Donna Summer and Tammy Wynette. One highlight saw Summer’s husband encouraging her daughter Mimi to sing the unmistakable opening of her mom’s 1977 Disco megahit “I Feel Love.” She laughed, leaned over toward the microphone and perfectly channeled her mom’s angelic voice.

It would be nice if they included the Lifetime Achievement Award at the main show. To present it as an aside takes away from the status of the award. It would also make the main show more relatable to us old timers.

Who is the lady standing next to Gladys in the photo above? She reminds me of Rosie O'Donnell. I'm sure it is not her, but i had to ask