[REMOVE ADS]

Shirley Jones of the Jones Girls to release tribute album in memory of her sisters

From SoulTracks.com-

She was 1/3 of one of our all-time favorite vocal groups, The Jones Girls, and now Shirley Jones is creating an album to pay tribute to her two deceased group mates. Reflections: In Loving Memory, arrives on February 16, and we simply can’t wait.
    During a half decade between 1979 and 1984, Shirley, Valorie and Brenda Jones created some of the most glorious Soul music around. The Detroit natives were ”discovered” by Philly soul music legend Kenny Gamble while they were serving as Diana Ross’s backing group during a mid-70s tour. He signed them to Philadelphia International Records, and they came out smoking with the infectious 1979 dance single "You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else," which stormed the pop, soul and dance charts.

Both drop dead gorgeous and talented, the Jones Girls were individually accomplished singers; but together, their voices were absolutely heavenly. And at PIR they found the perfect match in the melodic writing and lush production that Gamble & Huff and Dexter Wansel/Cynthia Biggs provided them. Over their half decade on the label the Jones Girls recorded a series of timeless songs such as “We’re A Melody,” “Who Can I Run To” [later a hit for Xscape] and the club favorite, "Nights Over Egypt."

In what would prove a career mistake, the Jones Girls left Philadelphia International for RCA Records in 1984, and couldn't recapture the magic. They retired the group in 1985 and Shirley Jones went solo, returning to PIR in 1986 for Always In The Mood and its #1 hit, "Do You Get Enough Love." She continued to record sporadically over the next decade, and the group reunited from time to time for special concerts and issued a 1992 reunion album, Coming Back, in Europe.

The sisters spent much of the 90s raising their children, occasionally reuniting for shows [particularly in Europe] and providing guest vocal help to other artists. Sadly, sister Valorie died in 2001 and Brenda, who also had a solo career, died in a tragic 2017 accident. Shirley Jones has remained active, both appearing in stage plays and concerts and occasionally recording [such as 2010’s Feels Like Heaven].
    Now, with Reflections, Shirley Jones comes full circle, paying tribute to the two sisters with whom she made such angelic sounds, while giving her fans of more that four decades a collection of new music and previously unreleased songs to enjoy. We’ll be anxiously waiting for this release.

These girls most definitely had harmony with a capital H! So yes this will be a most welcome and anticipated release. I do hope the new album will be reminiscent of their original sound as opposed to Shirley trying to be "current", which I would not find anywhere near as interesting.

Do we know yet if this will be available on CD?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Do we know yet if this will be available on CD?
    Coudln't find any pre-order information for Reflections: In Loving Memory at this time so I don't if it's coming out on CD yet.

What a great song, pity they did not release it on any of the PIR albums!
    Last edited by jack020; 01-06-2024 at 05:16 AM.

It was supposed to be released here:

I it released On Philadelphia International Records: The 40th Anniversary Box Set, Harmless HURTBOX001, 2012, disc 10 track 16

Listened to it again yesterday from the boxset. The booklet says there are loads of unreleased Philly tracks but when will they be released?

The song grew on me as I looked at the pictures of the group go by. I look forward to hearing the release.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    What a great song, pity they did not release it on any of the PIR albums!
    I, too, have the "Baby Don't Go Yet" 45, Jack. It's beautiful! It sure as hell should have been included on at least one of the Jones Girls PIR albums. Trashing it's release was an utter waste.

The album is out now:
    Tracklist
    01. Baby Don't Go Yet [[5:24)
    02. At Your Mercy [[Radio Version) [[3:56)
    03. Soul Steppin' [[Soul Syndicate Remix) [[4:11)
    04. I Won't Tell If You Won’t Tell [[Who Can I Run To) [[3:54)
    05. This I Know [[3:56)
    06. When You Love Somebody [[4:33)
    07. Fantasize [[4:39)
    08. The Sun Still Shines [[3:47)
    09. My Time To Shine [[3:58)
    10. Reflections [[5:12)
    Released on 2/16/24 by JG Records