Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
So then comes this Christmas album .....it must have been a logistics issue. For one thing it was never material that would be incorporated into the act .... to be performed by them. In those days I'm not even sure they realized this album would be dragged out again year after year ... Maybe they planned for it to be pressed once for that Christmas and that would be it ...
my guess is that it was a logistics issue. Harvey Fuqua was the producer of these sessions and also headed up the Artist Dev program. some have said that he wasn't thrilled with M and F and their work ethic/approach in regards to the preparation for the Copa gig. maybe that colored things, since this was recorded barely a monthly after the end of the Copa run. there's the story that people felt they weren't working as hard as Diana. and then when all of the Xmas stuff was being prepared, supposedly M and F were on vacation while D was in the studio.

I'm just piecing this together from a bunch of various stories and statements in books, on here, etc. obviously i wasn't there to witness this in person.

also weren't the christmas things recorded in LA? or was that only the backing tracks? did diana do her parts in Detroit?