[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

“Never Steal Anything Wet” by Mary Wells???

The other night I was watching this weird flick on Turner Classic Movies called “The Catalina Caper“, which starred, of all people, former Mousketeer Tommy Kirk. Listening to the theme song over the opening credits, I kept thinking wow that singer sounds a lot like Mary Wells but how could it possibly be her? Still, I was wondering what kind of influence Mary Wells might’ve had on the singer and anxious to find out who it was. Well I missed the singer's name in the opening credits, although Little Richard amongst others makes an appearance in this beach party/spy caper film, but I later learned from Wikipedia it actually is Mary Wells singing the theme song. I’ve never seen this song mentioned anywhere or found it on any of her compilations. I believe the film was produced by 20 Century Fox which makes sense because that’s who she was likely under contract to at the time.

Apparently the name of the film was originally "Never Steal Anything Wet," which doesn't exactly create any so-called buzz, so I guess then they changed it to "The Catalina Caper." Unfortunately it didn't help the film, which I could only manage to watch for about 30 minutes!

Was anyone aware of this weird Wells vocal? Did she record any other film themes?

Last edited by kenneth; 12-30-2023 at 09:13 AM.