[REMOVE ADS]

Happy December Birthdays.....Brenda, Dionne, Connie

Several ladies who brought us joy over the years have birthdays this week. Brenda Lee turned 79 on Monday the 11th, Dionne Warwick is turning 83 today [[Tuesday the 12th), and Connie Francis is 86 today. Even old Blue Eyes, Frank Sinatra, shared that December 12th birthday with those two ladies.

Best wishes one and all!

A very happy birthday to all three of these ladies, who have all brought me joy. But an extra special happy to Connie Francis, who seems to be forgotten today.

Connie Francis has sold an estimated 100 million records worldwide throughout her career. She has been one of the best-selling recording artists of all time, with over 100 charting singles, including number-one hits like “Who’s Sorry Now” and "Where the Boys Are". Her record sales were particularly strong in the 1950s and 1960s, and she even starred in a few movies. She was on Sullivan many times too. All those record sales and she never made it to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She never won a Grammy either, but at least her first great hit, WHO'S SORRY NOW, was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Nice to see Brenda getting some deserved attention with her classic Christmas classic reaching number one after so many years. And Dionne knows how to create attention. But what about forgotten Connie? She has sold a ton of records and many people have no idea who she is

Sadly in the music world, major talents are forgotten when newer ones come along and with any given generation, the ones who are "current" are considered the best that has ever been, even if they could not hold a candle to some of the truly great ones that came before them. That is why that survey of a few weeks ago confused me when it left out some of the ones that we old school fans consider to be the greatest of all time but yet it included some of these younger ones who have not had the chance to prove that they can handle the long haul.

Of course we can't forget Cindy Birdsong - December 15, 1939

Sheila E. also December 12th.

Belated Birthday wishes to Connie, Dionne, and Brenda. Connie and Dionne, I bought ALL of your vinyl & CDs that were available. They remain among my favorites in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Sadly in the music world, major talents are forgotten when newer ones come along and with any given generation, the ones who are "current" are considered the best that has ever been, even if they could not hold a candle to some of the truly great ones that came before them. That is why that survey of a few weeks ago confused me when it left out some of the ones that we old school fans consider to be the greatest of all time but yet it included some of these younger ones who have not had the chance to prove that they can handle the long haul.
    Yep, I was listening to a radio station playing Christmas songs and the host had a competition on who sang Christmas songs the best. They only had 2 competitors though, Mariah and Dolly. I thought that was stupid as Mariah is known for that "All I Want" song and I don't even know what songs Dolly is known for concerning Christmas. The host also said those 2 singers "belted Christmas songs like no one else. Also stupid and not true.

For me I hate that "All I Want" song. I turn the radio down whenever it comes on. I wouldn't pick either of them nor anyone else as there are too many people that have done well singing Christmas songs. Too many to even consider putting one on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Yep, I was listening to a radio station playing Christmas songs and the host had a competition on who sang Christmas songs the best. They only had 2 competitors though, Mariah and Dolly. I thought that was stupid as Mariah is known for that "All I Want" song and I don't even know what songs Dolly is known for concerning Christmas. The host also said those 2 singers "belted Christmas songs like no one else. Also stupid and not true.

For me I hate that "All I Want" song. I turn the radio down whenever it comes on. I wouldn't pick either of them nor anyone else as there are too many people that have done well singing Christmas songs. Too many to even consider putting one on the top.
    Mr. June, was Darlene Love and her "Christmas [[Baby Please Come Home)" on that list of best Christmas artists and songs?

More December Birthdays:
    Jerry Butler-[12/8/1939]
    Jermaine Jackson-[12/11/1954]

And Heavenly Birthday Wishes to;
    The Temtpations' Eddie Kendricks-[12/17/1939 - 10/5/1992]
    Earth, Wind & Fire's Maurice White-[12/19/1941 - 2/4/2016]