[REMOVE ADS]

Not a single Christmas release from Philadelphia International ??

All those vocalists they had signed , a ready made cast was right at hand ....yet no Christmas album flaunting their stars?? How about a 45 from any of them??

Lou Rawls was really into Christmas in the 60's :

It's not as if the idea didn't occur to anybody .....Vince Montana went off campus and created his Salsoul Orchestra disco Christmas LP Christmas Jollies featuring some of PIR's best TSOP musicaians.

They also appeared over at Salsoul on:

I'm imagining some terrific Teddy Pendergrass results ....

Maybe I have it wrong ...have I forgotten something the label released??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-10-2023 at 01:08 PM.

hurray, its Christmas in Philadelphia!

thanks MIKEW-UK

Aside from the aforementioned one off singles, there were no Holiday- centric projects that were released on PIR. Though several of it’s artists would later do Christmas albums for other labels after leaving the company.

Not Philly but a great Christmas song to help cheer up.

And a Philly & Harold Melvin Christmas
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 12-11-2023 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Aside from the aforementioned one off singles, there were no Holiday- centric projects that were released on PIR. Though several of it’s artists would later do Christmas albums for other labels after leaving the company.
    I'm surprised to see Gamble & Huff penned a Christmas song....it's an OK tune.... not more.

But yes no Holiday-centric project with all those available participants waiting away in the manger .....seems like a bit of a waste of a golden opportunity...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I'm surprised to see Gamble & Huff penned a Christmas song....it's an OK tune.... not more.

But yes no Holiday-centric project with all those available participants waiting away in the manger .....seems like a bit of a waste of a golden opportunity...
    When you're Philadelphia International, purveyors of sophisticated soul, it's possibly hard to write Christmas songs that will align with your main bread and butter product and that will appeal to your core market.

Writing about Baby Jesus, Three Kings, eating turkey, opening presents, enjoying the snow etc. etc. is a loooong way from songs about cleaning up ghettos, romantic break-ups, sex, infidelity, older men exploiting young girls, and all of those other pleasant, heart-lifting subjects that people rushed out to buy songs about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    When you're Philadelphia International, purveyors of sophisticated soul, it's possibly hard to write Christmas songs that will align with your main bread and butter product and that will appeal to your core market.

Writing about Baby Jesus, Three Kings, eating turkey, opening presents, enjoying the snow etc. etc. is a loooong way from songs about cleaning up ghettos, romantic break-ups, sex, infidelity, older men exploiting young girls, and all of those other pleasant, heart-lifting subjects that people rushed out to buy songs about.
    Hee haw!

I think we either completely agree or is it not at all ....

[which song[s] is about exploiting young girls??]

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Hee haw!

I think we either completely agree or is it not at all ....

[which song[s] is about exploiting young girls??]

This song!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post

This song!
    Exactly.

ah yes also known as "ODE TO BERRY GORDY."

Honestly I can't imagine anybody buying this and wanting to hear it over and over again.

Give me their take on "SILVER BELLS" any day....well at Christmas.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-13-2023 at 01:24 PM.