[REMOVE ADS]

Thriller at 40 documentary debuts tonight on showtime at 8 pm

This documentary takes fans back in time to the making of a pop masterpiece, featuring footage and candid interviews, allowing viewers to fully experience the creation of a cultural phenomenon that continues to influence the music industry to this day.

I found the part about MTV interesting. They wouldn’t play Michael’s music because MTV was a rock and roll station. CBS Group President Walter Yetnikoff said that no single record has changed the music business, or his life, as powerfully as THRILLER. He screamed bloody murder when MTV refused to air Michel’s videos. MTV argued that their format, White Rock, excluded Michael’s videos. Yetnikoff argued that they were racist assholes. So Yetnkoff said, “Really ? Okay. If you don’t play Michael, I am pulling Billy Joel and everyone else I have off of MTV”. Yetnikoff said that he never has been more forceful or obnoxious - or more effective. With added pressure by Quincy Jones, MTV caved in. In doing so, the MTV color line came crumbling down. That, and Thriller made it possible for other artists to have the opportunity to get on the pop charts. Tina Turner, Whitney, Lionel, Mariah and Prince. They all benefited from the pressure that Yenikoff put on MTV for THRILLER. When record companies saw the success of the crossover for a black artist, they increased their promotion budgets for their black artists.

If you have SHOWTIME, check this out tonight. It debuts at 8 p.m.

The unseen footage from recording "The Girl Is Mine' was brilliant to see. Hearing Mark Ronson say "I love Wanna Be Starting Somethin' when the drums go tttk tkt sshh" was tedious. Mixed bag for me, but worth watching for some small gems.

I have to tune in