[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    The story was Flo putting on Cindy’s outfit and it was an ill fit [[confirming Flo and Cindy were not the same size).
    Thanks for the confirmation. This to me would seem to indicate that despite the name change, it was discovering Cindy’s outfit that really brought home to Flo she was truly out of the group. Judging by her reaction, it would appear she thought she was still on trial, despite Cindy’s presence at the Copa.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 01-07-2024 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. This to me would seem to indicate that despite the name change, it was discovering Cindy’s outfit that really brought home to Flo she was truly out of the group. Judging by her reaction, it would appear she thought she was still on trial, despite Cindy’s presence at the Copa.
    From what J. Randy wrote in his most recent Diana book, on that last day, Flo was the first to arrive backstage, according to some stagehands. They thought she might have been hungover, probably from her birthday party the night before. Still, she seemed to be in a jovial mood when she entered the dressing room.

But apparently, it was there that she discovered four tuxes, not three. Her's, Mary's and Diana's. On the fourth outfit, where a group member's name was usually embroidered in the tag, Cindy's name was written in black permanent marker.

Flo went to Joe Morgan, the Las Vegas tailor who I assume made the outfits, and demanded to know what was happening. He told her that Berry said to have the extra outfit made in case it became necessary. Flo responded that if they wanted a Supreme to fit into that particular outfit, then it would be her. She told Joe to "scram," and Morgan said he left as quickly as possible because he knew there was going to be trouble. Then apparently, Flo put on Cindy's tux which was too small.

Note: It was also Morgan that provided photos and memories to J. Randy regarding Flo's birthday party as well as the afternoon get-together Esther Edwards arranged for Flo to share "birthday snacks."

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    From what J. Randy wrote in his most recent Diana book, on that last day, Flo was the first to arrive backstage, according to some stagehands. They thought she might have been hungover, probably from her birthday party the night before. Still, she seemed to be in a jovial mood when she entered the dressing room.

But apparently, it was there that she discovered four tuxes, not three. Her's, Mary's and Diana's. On the fourth outfit, where a group member's name was usually embroidered in the tag, Cindy's name was written in black permanent marker.

Flo went to Joe Morgan, the Las Vegas tailor who I assume made the outfits, and demanded to know what was happening. He told her that Berry said to have the extra outfit made in case it became necessary. Flo responded that if they wanted a Supreme to fit into that particular outfit, then it would be her. She told Joe to "scram," and Morgan said he left as quickly as possible because he knew there was going to be trouble. Then apparently, Flo put on Cindy's tux which was too small.

Note: It was also Morgan that provided photos and memories to J. Randy regarding Flo's birthday party as well as the afternoon get-together Esther Edwards arranged for Flo to share "birthday snacks."
    So it must have been under BG’s instruction that Cindy’s outfit was placed in the shared dressing room with the knowledge of what Flo’s reaction was likely to be. Rather cruel and machiavellian to say the least.

So it must have been under BG’s instruction that Cindy’s outfit was placed in the shared dressing room with the knowledge of what Flo’s reaction was likely to be. Rather cruel and machiavellian to say the least.
    We can't really be sure that Berry specifically told Morgan to put Cindy's tux in the girls' dressing room. From what Mary has written, Cindy was staying down the street at another hotel, Caesar's Palace. So to avoid any potential blow-ups, it might have made more sense that any new wardrobe be with her there but I have no idea.

We can't really be sure that Berry specifically told Morgan to put Cindy's tux in the girls' dressing room. From what Mary has written, Cindy was staying down the street at another hotel, Caesar's Palace. So to avoid any potential blow-ups, it might have made more sense that any new wardrobe be with her there but I have no idea.
    he ha they were hiding her. poor Cindy, what a messy situation she signed up for.

midnightman: That is true but for them to appear on those recordings and only get the pay they did, I think they were ripped off. Same with the Funks.
    that's why the title of this thread uses the word "used'.

Motown seemed a company that would shamelessy use people ... right up until the moment they didn't.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 01-07-2024 at 02:55 PM.

It’s rather ironic that Cindy’s outfit should make its appearance just when the animosity between Flo and Berry was reaching its final conclusion. I guess we will never know for sure.

It’s rather ironic that Cindy’s outfit should make its appearance just when the animosity between Flo and Berry was reaching its final conclusion. I guess we will never know for sure.

WHO put that costume there?:

the suspects:

the careless wardrober
    the heartless Berry Gordy
    the ever-conniving Mary Wilson
    the fed-up Diana Ross
    the desperate Florence Ballard
    the lil' stinker Patti Labelle
    or the sweet-on-the-outside master-planner Cindy Birdsong herself

????

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

the suspects:

the careless wardrober
    the fed-up Diana Ross

????
    My money is on BG who instructed the wardrobe assistant to place it there following his contretemps with Flo regarding the name change.
    Diana and Mary appeared to upset to be involved.

the suspects:

the careless wardrober
    the fed-up Diana Ross

????
    I choose #1 the careless wardrober slightly over Berry Gordy. Maybe both, in cahoots.
    I will let Diana, Mary & Florence off the hook.
    Patti & Cindy are intriguing thoughts, though.

the suspects:

the careless wardrober
    the fed-up Diana Ross

????
    Berry "Secret Squirrel" Gordy...

^^ Interesting tidbit about Flo deliberately putting on Cindy's dress. That explains why she stuck her stomach out.