[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: RIP Jean Knight

RIP Jean Knight

Sad news. All the old school souls are moving on to their greater reward.

Public Radio had a good, short story on her life.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Sad news. All the old school souls are moving on to their greater reward.
    And sadly no reduction in momentum.

How the youthful practice of looking ahead with enthusiasm for oneself fades away, to be replaced by looking back for oneself and looking ahead for children and grandchildren.

Bittersweet. [[I know you're love's no good for me.)
    Last edited by Sotosound; 12-01-2023 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Accuracy

I learned something today as a result of her obituary in the Washington Post.

The Stax Museum of American Soul Music said in a news release that Ms. Knight was Stax Records' top-selling female artist.

I don't think I have heard this honor before so that is why I am putting it on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I learned something today as a result of her obituary in the Washington Post.

The Stax Museum of American Soul Music said in a news release that Ms. Knight was Stax Records' top-selling female artist.

I don't think I have heard this honor before so that is why I am putting it on the forum.
    Wow! So, largely on the strength of "Mr. Big Stuff," she even outstripped Carla Thomas! Incredible. Thanks for sharing, woodward.

"Mr. Big Stuff" 45 sold 3 million according to sources I remember. Her only other record that sold on Stax was "You Think Your Hot Stuff" and that probably only sold 100,000.The Mr. Big Stuff LP sold some. Carla Thomas first record "Gee Wiz" sold about 800,000. but was on Atlantic [[recorded at the Stax studio), "B-A-B-Y" sold about a million. Carla had several others that sold but I guess not enuff to overtake "Big Stuff". I guess they don't count her duets with Otis.

I have always thought of Mavis Staples as the top-selling female artist at Stax. Granted she didn't have any hits as a solo artist at Stax, but the Staple Singers had some huge hits [["Respect Yourself", "I'll Take You there", etc.), and Mavis was their lead singer and main attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    I have always thought of Mavis Staples as the top-selling female artist at Stax. Granted she didn't have any hits as a solo artist at Stax, but the Staple Singers had some huge hits [["Respect Yourself", "I'll Take You there", etc.), and Mavis was their lead singer and main attraction.
    Good point. With two number one pop hits with the Staples, she'd probably take the crown with looser rules.

yes, they must be meaning solo female because the Staples Singers sold way more then anyone at Stax besides Johnnie Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    She had one solo hit at Stax, I HAVE LEARNED TO DO WITHOUT YOU. It reached #13 on the Soul chart.

I always assumed that Carla was Stax's biggest selling female solo artist. Most of the others, including Jean, Mabel John, Shirley Brown, etc., only had a couple of hits. But had seven Top 20 soul hits, plus six albums.

No matter. I can remember many a day when MR. BIG STUFF came on the radio. May she R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She had one solo hit at Stax, I HAVE LEARNED TO DO WITHOUT YOU. It reached #13 on the Soul chart.
    Most people have forgotten about that song. I remember it and found it on a CD about two years ago. She had some good songs on the album that has I Have Learned is on. "You Send Me" and "A House Is Not A Home" are very good versions.

The "Mr. Big Stuff" album was great. I played it over and over back in the day. As I recall, it did not include the soundalike follow up "You Think You're Hot Stuff." Certainly, she deserved better than that in the way of material. I think unfairly relegated to being a one hit wonder, she really had a phenomenal voice and it fit right in with the Stax sound. I guess later she had a hit with "My Toot Toot" or something like that, but not sure I ever even heard that one.