[REMOVE ADS]

The Blossoms Fanita James RIP

Just announced on Facebook that Fanita has passed.

RIP Fanita

Really sorry to hear that another one of Phil's Philles angels has passed -- especially on an otherwise happy holiday like Thanksgiving. May you RIP, Fanita.

I really started appreciating The Blossoms when I got into collecting the old "Shindig!" TV episodes. The show's producer, Jack Good had so a deep appreciation and reverence for all kinds of music from every spectrum which was what made the show work. One thing he adamantly insisted on was that The Blossoms were going to be on every show, backing all the groups. The ABC network had some issues, fearing backlash from its Southern affiliates; this was '64,'65 and the idea of having Black faces on the show on a regular basis was an issue. Jack Good wouldn't relent on the subject so The Blossoms became the de facto backing group. Jack also ensured each Blossom, Fanita, Darlene and Jean had a featured solo turn on occasion.

One thing I really have to wonder about: The Blossoms were the female backing group and then there was a male backing trio, The Wellingtons [[and alternately, The Eligibles); three White males. There were many instances where numbers were staged so that you had The Blossoms and The Wellingtons performing a number together, which included dancing together. As in standing next to each other. In the South, that was really a HUGE no-no, so I have to think Jack was having such a laugh at the image of Whites in the South having heart attacks at such a regular sight on coast-to-coast television! But the ladies did their jobs professionally and never looked anything but beautiful while doing it!

Sorry to hear about this. RIP Fanita James; Rest In Music, Power & Peace.

"All I Need Is Your Good, Good Lovin' - loved the blossoms and the Appalas too.

RIP, Fanita. The Blossoms are one of the greatest girl groups ever, unheralded or not.

Sad news indeed. I always loved their performance of 'Needle in a Haystack' on Shindig and backing of Marvin Gaye on the TAMI Show.