[REMOVE ADS]

Gil Askey @ Motown

Gil Askey was the Supremes musical director for some years. He was with the ladies when their LIVE @ THE COPA album was recorded [[August 65).
    But when did he first work with the group / Motown ?
    I know that in April 1964 he was working in a NY studio with the Dick Jacobs Orchestra on Jackie Wilson tracks [[acting as arranger on the session). He'd been on earlier sessions with Jackie -- "Baby Workout"; Jan 63 -- & even earlier he'd been arranging on studio sessions for Lloyd Price [[in 61).
    I'd guess he was New York based till hired by Motown and therefore the Copa run with the Supremes could have been his 1st work for the company -- end of July 65.
    Is that correct, or was he already with Motown ahead of that gig ?
    Name:  SupremesCopa65.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  43.5 KB

In an interview with one of Diana's fan clubs, Gil said that before they signed with Motown, the Four Tops asked him to do some arrangements for them for a NY club date. Gil started hanging out with them and after they did sign with Motown, it sounds like they might have recommended him to Mickey Stevenson but it seems as if they played phone tag for a couple of years before connecting.

From reading the interview, it looks as if he also did some charts for the Supremes and Vandellas in 1964. Around January of 1965, he was contacted by Hank Cosby, who was assisting Mickey. They wanted him to do some arrangements for a Billy Eckstein album, which he did. In April of 1965, he was called to a meeting where Berry asked him to write an act for the Supremes. Before that, he had done some dates with them playing trumpet.
    Last edited by reese; 11-21-2023 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks Reese, I guessed he was NY based and what you've posted confirms that. The 4 Tops being his 1st connection with Motown does surprise me though. Never knew he'd worked with them at all.
    I'd post a related jpeg here, but I'm up to my max quota once again.

Gil Askey Through The Years

I've always appreciated Gil Askey's musical talents, right from the time when I first spotted his name as a co-producer [[with Larry Maxwell) of the San Remo Golden Strings' 'Swing' album from 1968.

Here's his 10x8 used for the press release announcing his 1973 Academy Award nomination.

By coincidence, yesterday I acquired Ahmad Jamal's 'Night Song' CD on MoJazz. It was recorded in 1980 at the Motown/Hitsville in Hollwood, CA. The string and horn arranger? Gil Askey! He obviously had a long and successful Motown connection.

Name:  Gil Askey.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  76.5 KB
    Name:  Gil Askey Press Release[[1).jpg
Views: 284
Size:  51.7 KB

Gil Askey in the studio with some group or other [[1967) ....
    did the documentary they were shooting ever come out [[if so, details please) ?
    Name:  MotownDocPic67.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  94.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Gil Askey in the studio with some group or other [[1967) ....
    did the documentary they were shooting ever come out [[if so, details please) ?
    Name:  MotownDocPic67.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  94.7 KB
    They showed a brief clip of this in the MOTOWN 40 special. It was a staged recording session for MOTHER YOU, SMOTHER YOU.

After Diana Ross and The Supremes Farewell Show, Gil stayed with The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean for a few years.