[REMOVE ADS]

Jackie Wilson Story -- Stage Show

Back in 2000 in Chicago, they staged the above stage show.
    Anyone know if was taken forward from there [[Motown & soul musicals being hot for the last 10+ years) ...
    Name:  JackieWilsonStageShow2000.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  98.4 KB

Yes, they did take it forward. I saw it in 2003 at the Apollo Theatre in NYC. Melba Moore played Jackie Wilson's mother. I loved the show, although now I can't remember much of it except that I enjoyed it immensely. I was disappointed that it was so close to Broadway but never made it to Broadway.

I imagine that it toured the rest of the country after it left NYC, but I don't know

https://playbill.com/article/liftin-...l-6-com-112414

As an aside to the original thread theme ... the BG song "Reet Petite" set Jackie's solo career off with a bang. It's stated that this was originally cut as a blues ballad but Nat T got them to redo it as an uptempo song. It was the 2nd version that became the hit. The song resurfaced in New Zealand / Australia via a female cover version that became a hit late in 1964. Jackie then recut it, as a ballad, in spring 65 and it was put out on a US 45 in Sept 65. Has the original 1957 ballad version ever been released ?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    As an aside to the original thread theme ... the BG song "Reet Petite" set Jackie's solo career off with a bang. It's stated that this was originally cut as a blues ballad but Nat T got them to redo it as an uptempo song. It was the 2nd version that became the hit. The song resurfaced in New Zealand / Australia via a female cover version that became a hit late in 1964. Jackie then recut it, as a ballad, in spring 65 and it was put out on a US 45 in Sept 65. Has the original 1957 ballad version ever been released ?
    I heard a similar version of this story , but it was about Lonely Teardrops. Berry Gordy originally intended Lonely Teardrops to be recorded as a ballad. After recording it, Jackie and Brunswick were not satisfied with it. So it was given to a Decca Records arranger who re-arranged it into a smash hit.

Here is the original blues ballad of Lonely Teardrops. YouTube viewers gave it good comments, but I dont care for it. I bought the released version as a kid and still love it. If this were the released version, i would have passed it up. But that's just me.

Milven, you're right. It was "Lonely Teardrops" that was originally cut as a ballad & not Reet Petite.
    It was also "Lonely Teardrops" that Jackie re-recorded as a ballad in 65.

I am watching a kind documentary on You Tube that was probably put together by a YouTube member, and the guy says that Jackie Wilson and Levi Stubbs were cousins. I never heard that and was wondering it he is accurate.

Anyone know if they were cousins

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I am watching a kind documentary on You Tube that was probably put together by a YouTube member, and the guy says that Jackie Wilson and Levi Stubbs were cousins. I never heard that and was wondering it he is accurate.

Anyone know if they were cousins
    I do recall reading that they were indeed cousins but I don't have a specific source.

Me and my wife saw this show at The Black Ensemble Theater some years ago. The guy who played Jackie was so good that before you know it, New York stole him right from under our noses. I had forgot about this but it was a very good show.

The later blues version is something, but the original version from 1958 does it for me.

Check out another Berry & Janie Bradford never issued in the US. Great record for Jackie.