[REMOVE ADS]

Why were they looking for Florence's replacement in January of 1967?

I was skimming through Dreamgirl last night and Mary mentions in January of 1967 they started looking for a replacement for Florence. What did she do around that time? As far as I know she didn't miss any performances or recording sessions around that time. If it were say July 1966 when she missed recording sessions for the A Go Go album, I could understand that. But it seemed like she was pretty consistent for a while there after that until the New Orleans incident.

Edit: oops wrong forum. Can I get this moved?
    Last edited by floyjoy678; 10-19-2023 at 07:50 AM.

They started the search as a precautionary measure as it was becoming more and more obvious that Florence was losing interest in being in the group and was drinking more and more. She had acted up before so it was natural to assume she would do it again.

The Supremes were the hottest American act on the planet. One had to be aware of possible road blocks. That is why the edict came down that only No. 1 hits would be issued on the group while Top 10 and Top 20 was good enough for the other acts. And it was determined if Mary or Flo could not take stage the act would perform regardless with a third new girl. As it happened it New Orleans there wasn't time to get a third girl so Mary did the background alone. However, the decision was also made that should Ross be unable to perform the show would be cancelled.

The Andantes began stepping in more and more on the recordings around this time not just because Flo had missed some dates but because they could expedite recordings quicker that way. It was easier to just get Ross to the studio than all three. The same was true for the Vandellas and Marvelettes.

Essentially the same thing happened in 1969 when Gordy made it known that he was launching Diana as a soloist. The search for her replacement began early in 1969 and ended in May when Jean Terrell was discovered.

Oh I feel like such a bad Flo fan. I also forgot...wasn't January '67 also around when she threw the drink in Berry's face?

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Oh I feel like such a bad Flo fan. I also forgot...wasn't January '67 also around when she threw the drink in Berry's face?
    It might have been but for some reason I think that was earlier like in 66 when she first started putting on the weight.

Flo was sick for at least two weeks in June 1965 which resulted in Marlene Barrow stepping in for her during the gig at the Country Club of Detroit for a debutante coming out party as well as a show in Philadelphia and the engagement at Basin Street South in Boston when they were testing out the Copa act. During this time, Diana, Mary and Marlene recorded songs like "Mister Sandman," "Sincerely," "Mother Dear," and "Fancy Passes."

I was skimming through Dreamgirl last night and Mary mentions in January of 1967 they started looking for a replacement for Florence. What did she do around that time? As far as I know she didn't miss any performances or recording sessions around that time. If it were say July 1966 when she missed recording sessions for the A Go Go album, I could understand that. But it seemed like she was pretty consistent for a while there after that until the New Orleans incident.

Edit: oops wrong forum. Can I get this moved?
    This is one of those subjects where you REALLY, REALLY have to put in the work of reading everything you can. It wasn't just a matter of Flo doing this one thing or not doing that thing- looking for her replacement was just the culmination of many "bricks"
    in what ended up becoming a large wall [[thank you Pink Floyd).

You can easily find TONS of opinions, facts, myths, and what-nots all over the internet about what led up to Motown looking for a replacement for Florence. That's why you'll serve yourself well to look into it for yourself. And if that means [[gulp) reading books, so be it. But in the end, you'll be able to formulate a much clearer picture of the situation for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    This is one of those subjects where you REALLY, REALLY have to put in the work of reading everything you can. It wasn't just a matter of Flo doing this one thing or not doing that thing- looking for her replacement was just the culmination of many "bricks"
    in what ended up becoming a large wall [[thank you Pink Floyd).

You can easily find TONS of opinions, facts, myths, and what-nots all over the internet about what led up to Motown looking for a replacement for Florence. That's why you'll serve yourself well to look into it for yourself. And if that means [[gulp) reading books, so be it. But in the end, you'll be able to formulate a much clearer picture of the situation for yourself.
    I've done a lot of reading. Probably too much reading. I think I just need to refresh my memory. I just always thought things were fine with Florence for a while there but things are coming back to me now with her throwing the drink in Berry's face and an apparent altercation with Diana in late '66. I also just read tonight in Dreamgirl, Mary says tensions were really coming to light during the Orient tour.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Flo was sick for at least two weeks in June 1965 which resulted in Marlene Barrow stepping in for her during the gig at the Country Club of Detroit for a debutante coming out party as well as a show in Philadelphia and the engagement at Basin Street South in Boston when they were testing out the Copa act. During this time, Diana, Mary and Marlene recorded songs like "Mister Sandman," "Sincerely," "Mother Dear," and "Fancy Passes."
    The Fancy Passes version without the spoken interchange? I always thought it was the Andantes on that version.

I've done a lot of reading. Probably too much reading. I think I just need to refresh my memory. I just always thought things were fine with Florence for a while there but things are coming back to me now with her throwing the drink in Berry's face and an apparent altercation with Diana in late '66. I also just read tonight in Dreamgirl, Mary says tensions were really coming to light during the Orient tour.
    Yeah, it gets a little jumbled there- you're right, it does seem like there was a period, maybe too short, where Florence seemed to be trying to keep it together, but- and this is only my observation- she had far too many disappointments that kept festering and boiling. Florence isn't hard to understand. I've had friends who, like her, just didn't believe in keeping silent or just going along to get along. It's a strength of character, but it can also be a double-edged sword.

The Fancy Passes version without the spoken interchange? I always thought it was the Andantes on that version.
    Yes - the version that was intended for There's A Place For Us is Mary and Marlene.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Yes - the version that was intended for There's A Place For Us is Mary and Marlene.
    I was going to say if it was the other version, Marlene did a great imitation of Flo's voice lol.

Interesting to note, several of these were later re-recorded with Flo.