[REMOVE ADS]

Candi Staton "I'm Just A Prisoner" and "Stand By Your Man" [10/27/2023-Ace UK]

Description for I'm Just A Prisoner-

“I’m Just A Prisoner” was released in 1970 and remains a definitive slice of Southern soul. Recorded at Rick Hall’s legendary FAME studio in Muscle Shoals “I’m Just A Prisoner” pulled together five tracks – ‘I’d Rather Be An Old Man’s Sweetheart [Than A Young Man’s Fool]’, ‘I’m Just A Prisoner [Of Your Good Lovin’]’, ‘Evidence’, ‘You Don’t Love Me No More’ and ‘Sweet Feeling’ - that had appeared as A and B-sides on early singles issued in 1969 and 1970. These were augmented by another five tracks recorded specifically for the album; ‘Someone You Use’, ‘Get It When I Want It’, ‘Do Your Duty’, ‘That’s How Strong My Love Is’ and ‘Another Man’s Woman, Another Woman’s Man’. Like Southern fried chicken, this music is essential food for your ears.

This new CD edition packages this classic like a Japanese mini-LP in a card outer sleeve, coloured inner and contains a booklet featuring a new interview with Candi conducted by Ace Records, Ian Shirley about this magical stage of her career as well as photos from the period.

Tracklist
    1. Someone You Use
    2. I'd Rather Be An Old Man's Sweetheart [Than A Young Man's Fool]
    3. You Don't Love Me No More
    4. Evidence
    5. Sweet Feeling
    6. Do Your Duty
    7. That's How Strong My Love Is
    8. I'm Just A Prisoner [Of Your Good Lovin']
    9. Another Man's Woman, Another Woman's Man
    10. Get It When I Want It

Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJRXK8FJ/?tag=imwan-20

Description for Stand By Your Man-

Released in August 1970, as well as detonating hard and reaching #4 in the US R&B charts, ‘Stand By Your Man’ became a break-through single for Candi Staton, spending 14 weeks in the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #24 When it came to the follow-up to ‘Stand By Your Man’, the formula was repeated with Candi taking on another country song ‘She Called Me Baby’. This song was written by country singer Harlan Howard and appeared on “Harlan Howard Sings Harlan Howard” released in 1961. It was first drenched in strings and sung from the female perspective as ‘He Called Me Baby’ by Jeanne Newman in 1965 and then, in more soulful form, by Ella Washington, whose version got to #77 in the Billboard Hot 100 in 1969. As with Newman and Washington’s versions, Hall dressed the song in strings as well as belting brass. Staton’s definitive southern soul version of ‘He Called Me Baby’ got to #9 in the R&B chart and #52 in the Billboard Hot 100 when released in January 1971.

Both ‘Stand By Your Man’ and ‘He Called Me Baby’ – as well as their flips ‘How Can I Put Out The Flame [When You Keep The Fire Burning]’ and ‘What Would Become Of Me’ – appeared on Staton’s second album “Stand By Your Man”, released at the end of 1970. As with her singles and debut LP, “I’m Just A Prisoner” Capitol’s promotional rodeo ran wild and one advert even included the line, “Stand by your radio. Stand by your racks. Stand by for Candi Staton, a new American singing star.”

“Stand By Your Man” is one of the cornerstones of southern soul. As well as the tracks listed above it features other ear-Candi like ‘Mr and Mrs Untrue’, Freedom Is Just Beyond The Door’ and ‘Sweet Feeling’.

Ace Records are delighted to put it out as a Japanese style "mini-LP" in a delicious card sleeve with gorgeous photo inner along with a sweet booklet with liner notes penned by our captive in house scribe Ian Shirley.

This is one of the greatest soul albums known to Stand-kind. Stand by your CD player or car stereo!

Tracklist
    1. Stand By Your Man
    2. How Can I Put Out The Flame [When You Keep The Fire Burning]
    3. I'm Just A Prisoner [Of Your Good Lovin']
    4. Mr And Mrs Untrue
    5. Too Hurt To Cry
    6. He Called Me Baby
    7. Sweet Feeling
    8. To Hear You Say You're Mine
    9. What Would Become Of Me
    10. Freedom Is Just Beyond The Door

Amazon USA
    Available for pre-order soon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJRWWWTS/?tag=imwan-20

My first observation is to say Keep the CDs coming! My second is to say how nice it was that artists back then were decent enough to record frequent albums instead of this one every five year nonsense we see today. Notice that these were both 1970 releases. One thing however is not terribly clear, at least not to me. Are these separate CD releases or is it a twofer CD?

Hi!

That is a very welcome Ace release.
    In 2011 they already compiled an impressive package of Candi's Fame recordings:
    https://www.soulexpress.net/deep2_2011.htm#candistaton

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    One thing however is not terribly clear, at least not to me. Are these separate CD releases or is it a twofer CD?
    These are separate releases. Also, both I'm Just A Prisoner & Stand By Your Man are being issued in Japanese style mini LP sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

That is a very welcome Ace release.
    In 2011 they already compiled an impressive package of Candi's Fame recordings:
    https://www.soulexpress.net/deep2_2011.htm#candistaton

Best regards
    Heikki
    That Kent collection is great, especially with the inclusion of some previously unreleased recordings. It is only because I have that one that I probably won't buy these upcoming Ace reissues. Although reading that they have new liner notes might change my mind.

Wasn't Candi Staton seeking to gain ownership of her masters? Was she successful and now she's partnered with Ace? Cardboard sleeves may appeal to the nostalgia buffs but they're tricky to keep/store.

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Wasn't Candi Staton seeking to gain ownership of her masters? Was she successful and now she's partnered with Ace? Cardboard sleeves may appeal to the nostalgia buffs but they're tricky to keep/store.
    A few years ago, I remember reading an article on Candi that mentioned the 1976 Copyright Act. It stipulates that after a period of 35 years, artists can reclaim the copyrights to their own work for recordings made after 1978. I don't know if she pursued it and most of her best [IMO] and successful work was before then.
    Last edited by reese; 09-27-2023 at 02:07 PM.

Man, I love Candi Staton! Gotta say my favorite FAME recording is her "Sweet Feeling" -- especially the newer of the two mixes from her "Stand By Your Man" album. BTW, that piano is HOT!

"Sweet Feeling" [[Original 45 Version):
    https://youtu.be/IOiBZcaYlnE?si=4ZFup_jajHpAqyFq

"Sweet Feeling" [["Stand By Your Man" Remixed LP Version):
    https://youtu.be/ldkga9iY_Kk?si=7uRBBDE6xxDV8CDU
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-25-2023 at 07:24 AM.