[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Floy joy lp

Floy joy lp

FLOY JOY, The Supremes 25th studio album, reached #54 on the Billboard charts.

My question: do you think the LP would have fared better if it was released around the same time as the lead single?

The FJ single was released in December of 1971. But the LP wasn't released until 6 months later, in May of 1972, which by that time, the group was already recording with Jimmy.

When was the FJ LP finished? And when did recording with JW start? Is it possible they recording both at the same time?

I don't know the recording dates as I can't get to my copy of THIS IS THE STORY right now. But five months between the release of a hit single and its accompanying album seems like a very big no-no.

I think so. As it was, the album was still pretty well received. I think a couple of things may have helped it along:

-Release the album closer to when the single peaked.

-Push the absolute hell out of "Automatically Sunshine".

-Either call the album Written and Produced By Smokey Robinson, or play up promotion of the collaboration.

This is my favorite of the 70s Supremes albums. Might be my favorite of the post Florence Supremes period.

There's a great photo of JML with Smokey; was it used on the back cover? It should have been on the front. And yes, his name should have been in the title; anything for that extra boost! Certainly better than "Floy Joy", since the track only went to #16.

If I’m correct The Floy Joy single was recorded in October before the girls headed to the UK. The rest of the album was recorded from Jan to the end of February 1972. After the session was when Cindy found out she was pregnant and weeks later Lynda auditioned and came aboard

my guess is the turmoil of cindy leaving caused issues. the dates i have are:

Floy Joy track recorded 10/19/71, lead on 10/20, additional instruments and backing vocals on 10/22 and 25, with track completed on the 25th

FJ was released 12/1 and entered the charts on 1/8, maybe just a touch longer to enter than other releases. and it entered at 98, one position lower than Touch entered at 97. it's chart positions were 98-75-48-40-33-30-25-18-17-16-24-28 [[touch btw was 97-71-71-80)

the FJ album started recording on 1/5, 12, 31 and then 2/15, 16 17 18 26 27

the girls appeared on Merv Griffin to do FJ on 1/27

AS was released in April

FJ album released in May

and YWSSL in July

I think u are correct...Cindy was leaving and Lynda coming on board..
    There were no tv appearances of Automatically Sunshine, but I think they performed it in UK on top of Pops as it made top ten there.
    We didn't see the Supremes again on TV until YWSSL was released

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think u are correct...Cindy was leaving and Lynda coming on board..
    There were no tv appearances of Automatically Sunshine, but I think they performed it in UK on top of Pops as it made top ten there.
    We didn't see the Supremes again on TV until YWSSL was released
    combine that with the summer where shows weren't releasing new episodes but reruns. so the ability to promote a single on tv would be challenging. especially for a group that was starting to fade in the public eye. when the Supremes were super hot, summer didn't pose a problem. YCHL, Reflections did great. but Some Things, Sign, Everybody, Touch, Sunshine, etc all underperformed. I'm not saying they flopped or didn't hit the chart positions they deserved BECAUSE of being released in the summer. but lack of tv exposure certainly played some part of it. and at this time, motown wasn't totally aligned a group's release schedule with their touring schedule or tv time.

The Floy Joy lp sessions were done at least a month before the Webb sessions. Lynda was not in the group for the Floy sessions but was for Webb.

When Smokey was assigned to the group it was obviously a test run. After Frank Wilson stopped working with the ladies other producers began doing sessions on them, like Johnny Bristol and Clay McMurray, but much of this never got past the instrumental stage. Also I did hear that Smokey had intended Floy Joy for Wanda Rogers, but Motown dropped her and the Marvelettes earlier in 1971. There was maybe some indication that Wanda might return as a soloist so Motown issued her Breath Taking Guy single in early 1972. But by this time it was beyond obvious that Wanda was in desperate need of help so Smokey turned his attention to the Supremes.

Once it was obvious that Floy Joy was going to be a hit, Motown ordered a full lp.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    The Floy Joy lp sessions were done at least a month before the Webb sessions. Lynda was not in the group for the Floy sessions but was for Webb.

When Smokey was assigned to the group it was obviously a test run. After Frank Wilson stopped working with the ladies other producers began doing sessions on them, like Johnny Bristol and Clay McMurray, but much of this never got past the instrumental stage. Also I did hear that Smokey had intended Floy Joy for Wanda Rogers, but Motown dropped her and the Marvelettes earlier in 1971. There was maybe some indication that Wanda might return as a soloist so Motown issued her Breath Taking Guy single in early 1972. But by this time it was beyond obvious that Wanda was in desperate need of help so Smokey turned his attention to the Supremes.

Once it was obvious that Floy Joy was going to be a hit, Motown ordered a full lp.
    given that the record charted respectably and yield 2 top 40 songs, one of which went gold, you'd think they would have done a follow up lp.

Was Wanda still Smokey's sister in law through marriage?...she was married to Claudette's brother and fellow Miracle Bobby Rogers....if she was having problems, Smokey would have been among the first to know it....

The Floy Joy LP is only 1 of 2 career long Supremes LPS I love every song on...the other is HIGH ENERGY....I remember thinking as a 12 yr old other than Nathan and perhaps 2 others Touch was nothing to get excited about...it has been my #1 fav Supremes LP for over 20 years now....

Floy Joy seemed to have very little radio grab at the time too...Automatically Sunshine was a fav b/c Mary was my fav Supreme....the title track was fun, but seemed a bit dated...YWSSL got the LP off to a rolling start...with the hand percussion and guitar....but I thought the nonsense electronically treated ad libs stunk up the production big time...loved A Heart Like Mine, and Over and Over is one of my fav Terrell led songs. Immediately loved the soft flow of Precious Little Things...and I thought Oh Be My Love was cleverly crafted and arranged.

Being 12 at the time, I wasn't looking for laid back, quiet storm or mellow...but these days...I love both of these LPS...

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Was Wanda still Smokey's sister in law through marriage?...she was married to Claudette's brother and fellow Miracle Bobby Rogers....if she was having problems, Smokey would have been among the first to know it....

The Floy Joy LP is only 1 of 2 career long Supremes LPS I love every song on...the other is HIGH ENERGY....I remember thinking as a 12 yr old other than Nathan and perhaps 2 others Touch was nothing to get excited about...it has been my #1 fav Supremes LP for over 20 years now....

Floy Joy seemed to have very little radio grab at the time too...Automatically Sunshine was a fav b/c Mary was my fav Supreme....the title track was fun, but seemed a bit dated...YWSSL got the LP off to a rolling start...with the hand percussion and guitar....but I thought the nonsense electronically treated ad libs stunk up the production big time...loved A Heart Like Mine, and Over and Over is one of my fav Terrell led songs. Immediately loved the soft flow of Precious Little Things...and I thought Oh Be My Love was cleverly crafted and arranged.

Being 12 at the time, I wasn't looking for laid back, quiet storm or mellow...but these days...I love both of these LPS...
    listening to FJ and AS on the Mary Wilson Anthology and the expanded backing tracks is just amazing. imagine what the other tracks on the lp might sound like.

I've always liked the FJ set. the cohesive nature was a real plus. and i found it an interesting change after the mega productions by Frank Wilson. I adore Stoned Love and the NW album. but let's face it - there tons going on and the tunes do border on over production. it might have been nice to allow jean a little more freedom and room to do her own thing on the FJ set. but overall i enjoy it

i do agree that YWSSL was marred by the oddly phased vocals by Smokey. it just overpowers the vocals of the girls and makes it not sound like a Sups song. Sure we had Johnny joining DR on Someday. and you can easily argue that Someday wasn't a "supremes sound" either - that big gospel choral sound.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post

I think Claudette and Bobby were cousins, not siblings. But yes, I would think Smokey probably knew quite a bit about Wanda's problems. I'm surprised that he even did THE RETURN OF THE MARVELETTES album with her.

Johnny's ad libbing on Someday??? I honestly for years before the internet thought it was a Temptation....Johnny did cut the song as a duet with Liz Lands for Ian's MOTORCITY project....never heard Liz before...there is a unique sound...
    I am a Bruce fan...the instrumental track of his Someday is true to the orig...I was hoping for a likable version...he took too many liberties with the lyric and phrasing...and I don't like it...[[It is my fav Supremes song)
    The best version I have heard of it [[other than Mary's live version...loved the way she performed this) is probably the IKETTES version...of course, they roughed it up...but thats the Ikettes for you...the Ikettes always moved in for "THE KILL" they also do a great cover of the Doobies Listen To The Music...there is a video on YT of them doing that one live...

Floy Joy was the first Supremes album I didn't buy. I started looking at other music at 13 and did buy the singles. I ended up winning it off of a local radio station with a trivia contest[[not about the Supremes). I even felt before I didn't buy the album that something was off with the Supremes and I wasn't seeing them anymore on TV, etc. like I did before. This radio station wasn't giving away the popular LPs and I heard the DJ when I called in say "We're giving this away? but hey, we've played this". I didn't hear Floy Joy on the radio but I did hear Automatically Sunshine on the radio once when I was in the car of my girlfriend's parents.

It was strange hearing the change from Touch, which had such a grandiose sound with Jean seeming to sing very strongly to the lighter and bouncy touch of the Floy Joy LP. I remember reading that Mary wanted Smokey to be their producer "forever" after Floy Joy and that Smokey was quite kind to Mary during recording it. The first 2 songs were not performed on TV, yet YWSSL was performed quite a number of times, yet the first 2 did much better on the charts. I would chance to guess that Cindy leaving, Lynda replacing her had a lot to do with the recording times and getting out there because surely Lynda had a lot to learn and did a great job quickly.
    I still like Automatically Sunshine and think it could have done better chart wise.
    Last edited by jim aka jtigre99; 08-11-2023 at 09:04 AM.

Here's the Supremes performing FLOY JOY on Soul Train.

Not sure when this was in relation to when FJ was released:

https://youtu.be/twv90OrOBmI

Aside from A Heart Like mine, I found this album really bland. I heard Floy Joy exactly one time on the radio and even to me as a kid, it sounded really dated. Floy Joy was supposed to compete with Horse With No Name or Betcha By Golly Wow? I don't think so. No offense, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Aside from A Heart Like mine, I found this album really bland. I heard Floy Joy exactly one time on the radio and even to me as a kid, it sounded really dated. Floy Joy was supposed to compete with Horse With No Name or Betcha By Golly Wow? I don't think so. No offense, of course.
    and see i think Heart was one of the more bland and boring songs on the lp. it's far from my favorite Mary lead. it's just a bit too much of her smoky misty vocal. IMO it needed a bit more passion and fire from her

i do agree that the album has a lightness and airiness. and a lot of the songs start to blend together. there isn't the variation like on Touch or even NW. YWSSL is quite up beat and maybe it needed another tune more like that to balance things out

Hi Sup. I guess I looked at A Heart Like Mine as the one song on that album that needed a light, airy sound. It was, to me, dreamy and Mary was perfect for it. Loved the instrumentation too!!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Here's the Supremes performing FLOY JOY on Soul Train.

Not sure when this was in relation to when FJ was released:

https://youtu.be/twv90OrOBmI
    This was over a year later, in 1973. On the same episode, they also performed I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN, STONED LOVE, and BAD WEATHER.

I always enjoyed Mary's ballads. I found her voice quite suited for ballads and her voice was like a soft vocal caress. She was never really featured except during DRATS with Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You and that was not really the best showcase for her talents. Plus people were so used to the hits which were more of an upbeat and danceable sound that perhaps Supremes fans just were looking for everything in that vein rather than enjoying the variety of talents of the group members.
    Still in 1973 they were still singing Stoned Love on Soul Train and Mike Douglas because the general public didn't warm up to IGIMTM or Bad Weather. I always looked forward to the ballad showcase for Mary-A Heart Like Mine,I Keep It Hid, Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You, You Are The Heart of Me-but perhaps if the group had showcased a ballad for her more often on tv, the general public might have learned to appreciate the variety more and the sound may have evolved a little more naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I always enjoyed Mary's ballads. I found her voice quite suited for ballads and her voice was like a soft vocal caress. She was never really featured except during DRATS with Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You and that was not really the best showcase for her talents. Plus people were so used to the hits which were more of an upbeat and danceable sound that perhaps Supremes fans just were looking for everything in that vein rather than enjoying the variety of talents of the group members.
    Still in 1973 they were still singing Stoned Love on Soul Train and Mike Douglas because the general public didn't warm up to IGIMTM or Bad Weather. I always looked forward to the ballad showcase for Mary-A Heart Like Mine,I Keep It Hid, Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You, You Are The Heart of Me-but perhaps if the group had showcased a ballad for her more often on tv, the general public might have learned to appreciate the variety more and the sound may have evolved a little more naturally.
    haha and see i think her recording of Cant Take is quite enchanting lol of course different strokes for different folks. I think i'm most disappointed with I Keep It Hid, although her ending with the head voice is stunning. I do agree that A Heart Like Mine is gauzy and misty and all. and overall it's quite good but i think a little more passion in her voice would have helped. with AHLM it needed a lot more passion IMO. i find her vocals to be rather dull on it. Imagine if you took that passion she had in Don't Let My Teardrops and applied it to IKIH!

well they had tried a ballad with Touch and that bombed. so they were probably a bit gun shy. and then when IGIMTM bombed too, they probably said "no more ballad singles"

as we've discussed elsewhere, Touch was just misguided. i do really love the ending/second half of the song. once it gets going and the orchestra swells and each lady is doing something, it's gorgeous and wonderful. but it takes too long to get there and the creepy, executioner's drumbeat intro was so the wrong way to set up this lush, love ballad. had the opening been more in keeping with the ending, perhaps it would have connected better

I liked the album , but thought Jean was a bit shrill at times, so I was happy when Mary got a few leads.
    I would have liked a Cindy lead or a few lines here and there to give more balance.
    There is one out take from this collection. Maybe one day..always hoped for a remix of YWSSL

I don’t take issue with them don’t Stoned Love in 73. That was more for needing a dance song [[ I would have preferred if they did YWSSL but it is what it is). But let’s take note at what the other Motown artists did on their first ST appearance. The Jackson 5 did I Want You Back, Temptations did Superstar, Stevie did Signed,Sealed, Delivered, Gladys and the Pips did Friendship Train also did I Heard It Through The Grapevine on their third appearance. But the topper was the Vandellas doing Dancing in the Street and Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things. So in comparison, doing Stoned Love wasn’t a bad thing. Sometimes we in this group are a little too critical of what the girls do. But I guess it’s a part of the game.

I liked the album , but thought Jean was a bit shrill at times, so I was happy when Mary got a few leads.
    I would have liked a Cindy lead or a few lines here and there to give more balance.
    There is one out take from this collection. Maybe one day..always hoped for a remix of YWSSL
    What outtake from this collection? What's the name of it and has anyone heard it?

A HEART LIKE MINE has a lot more than Mary going on for it to me....the dreamy atmosphere created by the background singing, the slow steady rhythm. the shimmering guitar flourishes....kinda creates a slow, rainy day vibe.

Cindy does a nice, sensual job on her spoken word part on Wisdom of Time. I like the Floy Joy album--it has a laid back quality to it and it's a cohesive album sound wise and each song flows well from one to the next.

Gman-- I agree about the dreamy backing vocals and instrumentation! The only difference for me is that the song takes me to warm. hazy summer days with a lot of sunshine! It's funny how the same song can elicit different memories in different people.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    Gman-- I agree about the dreamy backing vocals and instrumentation! The only difference for me is that the song takes me to warm. hazy summer days with a lot of sunshine! It's funny how the same song can elicit different memories in different people.
    For me, this album is always good to just relax and listen to in my house because it flows so well.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    What outtake from this collection? What's the name of it and has anyone heard it?
    I honestly can't remember now.
    I think Aretha Franklin recorded a version of it as I recall....per my memory..
    I think it's here somewhere in SDF.
    Maybe if Andy or George is here he could comment...

yeah i've heard that there was 1 outtake too, but also can't remember the name

and i too agree that it would have been nice to have a bit more Cindy. i always wondered if the intent WAS to do so but with her departure they altered it? i think both FJ and AS would have been even stronger if Cindy had 1 line in each. jean should do 50% of the lead, Mary 40% or so and Cindy 10%. when they did FJ live, Cindy did do a lead line.

Is it JUST MY DAYDREAM? Aretha recorded that on her 1982 album JUMP TO IT.

She recorded no other Smokey compositions aside from MY GUY and TRACKS OF MY TEARS.

Note: Her brother Cecil co-wrote NOW THE BITTER, NOW THE SWEET with Smokey, released on the FLOY JOY album.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This was over a year later, in 1973. On the same episode, they also performed I GUESS I'LL MISS THE MAN, STONED LOVE, and BAD WEATHER.
    Jean, Mary & Cindy performed "Floy Joy" on The Merv Griffin Show in January 1972. They perform it at 10:00