[REMOVE ADS]

Brenda Holloway - "You’ve Made Me So Very Happy" on Unknown Television Show [[1968)

Thanks for posting. Brenda may not have been a breakout star at Motown, but she did make it on tv a fair amount of times.

Could this be from Upbeat? If so it could be from Jan 6. 1968. She did appear three times on this show.

Roger, I would venture that you are right about the show and air date. IIRC, Brenda walked out on her Smokey Robinson recording sessions [and Motown, in general] in the Spring of 1968 [March/April?]. I can't imagine Motown management would have worked to get her on a TV show after that had occurred. Although Brenda probably was a welcome guest on local Los Angeles TV [[music) shows no matter what was happening behind the scenes, I have to imagine promotional exposure [[for YMMSVH) was prompted by Motown.

I know dear, lovely Brenda was young and her frustration led to an impulsive choice [and hindsight is always 20/20], but I wish she had chosen to stay with Motown. Perhaps they wouldn't have ever promoted her to Diana Ross-levels, but I think she would've received fairly consistent single releases and possibly another album release at some point. She surely would have been kept working on the road [as tough as that can be for any performer]. I just think that in the long run, her career would have benefitted more than it did having left when she did.

Hi Dan, I`m a big fan of Brenda`s especially her Detroit tracks. She was featured on many TV. shows of which we have quite a few clips shown. I believe she appeared on:
    American Bandstand 6 times.
    Shivaree 2 times.
    Shindig 2 times.
    Hollywood A Go-Go 2 times.
    Shebang 2 times.
    Upbeat 3. times.
    New Lloyd Thaxton 3 times
    Clay Cole Discotek 1 time.
    Where The Action Is 1 time.
    Hollywood Discoteque 1 time.
    Can anybody help me with details of the following:
    Hollywood Discoteque Oct. 4. 1965.
    Upbeat Oct. 21. 1967 & Oct. 28. 1967
    New Lloyd Thaxton 14.Oct. 1965.
    Clay Cole Discotek 11.Oct.1967.
    I would be most grateful for this as I`m compiling a book on the Motown Artists video clips.

The clip is from the Hy Lit show in Philly - a huge Motown market back in the day.

Many thanks tjl as you can see I wasn`t aware that she appeared on this show. Wow there is so much more to discover!

Brenda did at least one recoding for HDH after Motown. Then what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Brenda did at least one recoding for HDH after Motown. Then what happened?
    Actually Brenda recorded an entire album with HDH after they both left Motown. The problem is no one can find the album.

Info about the Hy Lit Show from the YouTube channel:

The Hy Lit Show was a local bandstand-like hit show from WKBS-TV 3201 S. 26th St. In Philadelphia PA; and was hosted by philly's legendary disc jockey Hy Lit himself. Although the majority of clips were filmed between late 1967 to possibly mid 1969; It was Aired between 1965 to 1970. The show was syndicated to other towns & Citys in the US; Boston Ma, Cleveland OH, etc.

Link to channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Z5A-u1H1LzMyGU
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 08-16-2023 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added more information.

I know Mary Wells appeared on the Hy Lit show in late, Oct. 1969 doing two of her late '69 Jubilee records "Never Give A Man The World" & "Dig the Way I Feel".

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I know Mary Wells appeared on the Hy Lit show in late, Oct. 1969 doing two of her late '69 Jubilee records "Never Give A Man The World" & "Dig the Way I Feel".
    Thank you motony. If this is for me I`m only interested in Motown music. If only Mary and Kim Weston had stayed at Motown as there are quite a few clips their after Motown work.