[REMOVE ADS]

Should Diana Ross ditch the wigs and perform with her hair as it now is?

In recent years Dionne Warwick now presents herself in public with her hair as it is. Same with Lena Horne in her last years as a performer. Should Diana Ross do the same? If so, do you think Diana Ross fans will be able handle seeing her like this? Is it time for Diana Ross to abandon the look that she's more or less had for performances since 1979?

I don't really have a direct reply to your query, but I have always secretly wondered what Diana would look like without the only hairstyle I've seen her wear in my 47 years on earth!
    Darin

Should you spread some love ?

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Should you spread some love ?
    Lol

I don't think she should change her hair, at this point.

Actually 1978 was the first time we saw it. I never understood how did Diana go from changing wigs during the same show to picking one hairstyle and sticking to it for decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    In recent years Dionne Warwick now presents herself in public with her hair as it is. Same with Lena Horne in her last years as a performer. Should Diana Ross do the same? If so, do you think Diana Ross fans will be able handle seeing her like this? Is it time for Diana Ross to abandon the look that she's more or less had for performances since 1979?

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Actually 1978 was the first time we saw it. I never understood how did Diana go from changing wigs during the same show to picking one hairstyle and sticking to it for decades.
    I know, right?! She used to make sure she never wore the same hair for more than one photo shoot/appearance and now it’s just “the beast” - I suppose at some point she thought it was a good signature look to just go with?

I am ok with the hair as is -

Ribbit ribbit ...

Diana has an established and well known look. I don't think as she hits 80, she would want to change it. She looks wonderful and her look is iconic.

She changed her hair a lot since 1980.

Really wonder why she should take Dionne as a model in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Ribbit ribbit ...
    Oh dear!!.

My favourite Diana look was always when she had her hair slicked back. Simply stunning.
    I would quite like to see something a little different, but don’t really envisage a Wiz styled Diana anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post

I agree. She has many different hair styles since 1980. People must not really follow her looks. She appeared quite a few times during the promotion of FBTP and the box set with the straight hair. Then her hair was shorter and different during the “Take me higher” time of promotion. Even during 2000 for RTL she had that crazy hair for Divas tribute show and her opening night in Philadelphia. And there are many other examples. However she will always go back to her traditional classic Diana Ross look. Which I love.

I honestly don't like the capes,feather boas and big hair.
    I liked when she pulled her hair back...
    Baby it me cover art

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I honestly don't like the capes,feather boas and big hair.
    I liked when she pulled her hair back...
    Baby it me cover art
    She almost became a caricature of herself.
    I also loved her “Baby It’s Me” style of presentation, being rather chic and simply sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I agree. She has many different hair styles since 1980. People must not really follow her looks. She appeared quite a few times during the promotion of FBTP and the box set with the straight hair. Then her hair was shorter and different during the “Take me higher” time of promotion. Even during 2000 for RTL she had that crazy hair for Divas tribute show and her opening night in Philadelphia. And there are many other examples. However she will always go back to her traditional classic Diana Ross look. Which I love.
    Originally Posted by Albator

I guess her look from The Boss is how the general public identifies her now and since 1979. I think she made a choice for this to be her signature look and image as Diana Ross! I think it has been effective, as, for me, any woman attempting that look and hair seems to be channeling Ross.

I agree that she has changed her look and hair since 1980. Just look at her album covers [but not Swept Away! Lol] My favorite was the Diana Ross 1976 cover, but I also love her post-1979 on RHRB and FBTP. [I do think The Boss cover is stunning and diana 1980 was tres chic!]

I admire how Dionne Warwick has "updated" her look & style. I think Diana Ross is capable of surprising and wowing us in her own way, if she wanted too.
    Last edited by lucky2012; 06-24-2023 at 03:46 PM.

It is one thing to proudly tell your age and another to look your age. Without the dark wig and heavy makeup, she might look like she is 102 years old.

I don’t know why anyone in this forum should presume to tell diana ross what she should do about anything. She’s 79 and is still a great draw. I like the way she looks so I would vote for it to stay if I had a choice, but I want her to look the way she wants to look. Personally, the last time I saw Gladys Knight, she looked like 40 miles of hard road, and it actually affected my enjoyment of the show even though her voice was in tiptop shape.

I like diana ross the way she looks now. Everybody I know is growing old and looks like grandmothers and grandfathers. I prefer the escapism of the hour and 30 minutes - or hour and 45 minutes that she’s doing this tour, looking like the traditional Miss Ross. I want her to be comfortable and happy with what she’s doing and with how she feels. If she was bald, with white fringe hobbling on one leg, I would still go see her. But the number of new gowns that have appeared this year, I have a feeling she’s going to continue in the same vein for a while. A few of the new ones are knockouts.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 06-25-2023 at 11:34 PM.

Odd how men never get asked about changing their wigs or hair or clothes ir makeup. Tony Bennett who I love has been wearing the same wig for 30 years.l Engelbert hasnt changed his hair or tux in decades and Smokeys had the same look for 25 years although hes got a new face. Barry Manilow had the same hairstyle for 30 years and Willie Nelsons had the same clip on pigtails for at least 30 years and Rod Stewrat hasnt changed his hair since the 1970s and his clothing style hasnt ever changed either, but then again men usually get a pass on stuff like this.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 06-24-2023 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Odd how men never get asked about changing their wigs or hair or clothes ir makeup. Tony Bennett who I love has been wearing the same wig for 30 years.l Engelbert hasnt changed his hair or tux in decades and Smokeys had the same look for 25 years although hes got a new face. Barry Manilow had the same hairstyle for 30 years and Willie Nelsons had the same clip on pigtails for at least 30 years and Rod Stewrat hasnt changed his hair since the 1970s and his clothing style hasnt ever changed either, but then again men usually get a pass on stuff like this.
    I don’t think it’s seen as getting a pass Roberta, it’s just that generally women have far more options as regards which look they are able to create involving hair, makeup and fashion.
    I may be wrong of course, but a Tony Bennett, or indeed Engelbert with long hair and heaps of mascara would most probably not endear them to their fans as much as more formal attire.
    Away from the world of entertainment, the options are even more reduced with some employers being rather traditional in their approach to look and dress code.

Smokeys had the same look for 25 years although hes got a new face.
    lmao

I wish Diana had done more music videos through her career so we could see how her look and style in performances changed over the years.

I would love there to have been an Upside Down or I'm Coming Out video with the same look as that beautiful diana album cover.

Ms Ross can do whatever makes her feel comfortable.

My guess is that "the look" she has created was a lesson learned from Gene Simmons. I remember reading somewhere that he taught her how to use her image to last a long time in this business and don't go for the "current" hit thing anymore. This was also around the time she established her look.

And yes, she played around with it from time to time, remember the blond wig at some international music festival where she sat down on Michael Jacksons lap?

In the mid 90's she had some kind of diagonal pony and a long mat at her back, in the 00's it was more curly and shorter, around Take Me Higher she had some colored strings in it, I remember during one live performance her mike got stuck in it and she had to pull it out, a blue colored hair string, it was on the stage for the remainder of the show.

Currently it is a bit longer again and at the back not so curly.

All fine by me. She does not owe us anything and she can do whatever she wants.

I wonder for artists, not just Diana Ross, to what degree they hold on to their signature look for public appearances because that's what their public expects and don't want to upset the public by appearing more like they really are? And if they thought people would not be upset by appearing as the seniors they are in everyday life would they be more likely to do so?

On the upside, it would be easier for stars like Johnny Mathis, Diana, Dolly, Cher, Tony etc to appear and mingle in public unnoticed. on the DL without their hair and makeup.

This may be true - or not - but Joan Crawford was once asked to go out for dinner. She said that if they wanted to go to dinner with Lucille LeSueur [her birth name] , she could be ready in half an hour, but if they wanted to go with Joan Crawford, it would take her a while longer to get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    All fine by me. She does not owe us anything and she can do whatever she wants.
    I disagree, for without the support of her fans, she would not have experienced the privileged and lavish lifestyle that most can only dream of.

I wonder for artists, not just Diana Ross, to what degree they hold on to their signature look for public appearances because that's what their public expects and don't want to upset the public by appearing more like they really are? And if they thought people would not be upset by appearing as the seniors they are in everyday life would they be more likely to do so?
    Much of Diana’s success and appeal has always been built around her image as a glamorous woman. This perhaps being the reason she continues to use thirty+ year old pics of herself on album covers and concert promos, though she isn’t alone in this and doesn’t really need it.
    Shallow as it probably is, i definitely think it would have an effect on the people buying concert tickets if the expectation were to be greeted by an old lady with short grey hair and a smart frock.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    For WO she had another hairstyle [[not talking about the cover).

My favorite is around the time of CP. Let say from 83 to 87, then 89, then at the beginning of TMH promo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I disagree, for without the support of her fans, she would not have experienced the privileged and lavish lifestyle that most can only dream of.
    Yes, in that way you are right. We paid, or still pay, her salary.

Exactly. And I don’t think comparing diana ross to Dionne Warwick, or others is comparing apples to apples. Diana has an aura of genuine glamour, and has had for decades. Dionne has never been known for her beauty, but did in the 60s wear couture. Since that time, her Luke has been showbiz casual, at least every time I’ve seen her. So walking around with her hair, the way she does and the clothes she chooses to wear. I think they’re going to be more acceptable to her Fanbase. She doesn’t have an iconic look. Marlene Dietrich had an iconic look and stuck to it.

I'll never understand the way threads like these move. What was the problem with the initial question? In a forum where almost all of our threads are repeats about the same ole stuff from singers who aren't doing a whole lot to talk about these days, I don't get why asking if Diana should change up her look is somehow out of bounds.

I think it should always go without saying that Diana- like everyone else her age- is free to make her own decisions about wardrobe, about music, or whatever she wants to do. If she wants to record an album on the toilet, she's grown enough to make that decision. Shouldn't we be able to talk about it, though? Discuss the merits or not of such a move?

Diana's look is iconic and integral to her story as an entertainer and public figure. Surely there's room in this forum to ponder if it would be a good idea or not for her to abandon that look for something more "natural" without having to be reminded that she can do what she wants to do, as if that was ever in question for Miss Ross.

In answer to the question, I suspect wigged or unwigged, Diana would kill the look. She just has that kind of style. Sure, I've wondered what a "normal" Diana might look like. Dionne often looks like she was never Dionne Warwick, world renowned recording artist, and instead looks like Marie Warrick, retired second grade teacher. I suspect Diane Ross would never look so grade school teacher-ish. I'm betting a toned down Ross would give off former hairdresser or top Avon sales lady or pastor's wife vibes.

I don't think fans could handle it, though, myself included. Particularly if she looks old, which I don't suspect she does, even with the makeup and hair possibly covering up time. Good Black don't crack, so I'm betting she doesn't have any or many wrinkles. Her gray hair would probably be the biggest shock.

I also referenced Lena Horne in my original post. So for context here's an interview she did with Rosie O'Donnell in the late 90s when she was 80. She's grey haired, and she's elegant.

I also referenced Lena Horne in my original post. So for context here's an interview she did with Rosie O'Donnell in the late 90s when she was 80. She's grey haired, and she's elegant.

Shes beautifully lit both by exterior lights on the set and the inner light that comes from her presence.

Diana Ross is in NYC tonight showing off her latest look. Air quality is bad right now and she is wearing two masks.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'll never understand the way threads like these move. What was the problem with the initial question? In a forum where almost all of our threads are repeats about the same ole stuff from singers who aren't doing a whole lot to talk about these days, I don't get why asking if Diana should change up her look is somehow out of bounds.

I think it should always go without saying that Diana- like everyone else her age- is free to make her own decisions about wardrobe, about music, or whatever she wants to do. If she wants to record an album on the toilet, she's grown enough to make that decision. Shouldn't we be able to talk about it, though? Discuss the merits or not of such a move?

Diana's look is iconic and integral to her story as an entertainer and public figure. Surely there's room in this forum to ponder if it would be a good idea or not for her to abandon that look for something more "natural" without having to be reminded that she can do what she wants to do, as if that was ever in question for Miss Ross.
    Well said Ran. Diana is almost as famous for her look and sense of style as she is for her singing. I really don’t see what there is to get defensive about by discussing a possible change of style. I guess to some even that’s an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Well said Ran. Diana is almost as famous for her look and sense of style as she is for her singing. I really don’t see what there is to get defensive about by discussing a possible change of style. I guess to some even that’s an attack.
    I sort of understood Roberta's point questioning why these kinds of conversations usually don't involve men, but how many men's looks in the business are an iconic part of their entertainment? I would think fans might start to question if another look might be good if Boy George was still rocking his "Karma Chameleon" look today. As a Billy Idol fan, it hasn't escaped me that he has held onto the look he made famous so long ago as well. I'd be a fan regardless, Billy in a completely different look or Billy still going retro 80s. He would still be the same Billy in song. Same with Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I sort of understood Roberta's point questioning why these kinds of conversations usually don't involve men, but how many men's looks in the business are an iconic part of their entertainment? I would think fans might start to question if another look might be good if Boy George was still rocking his "Karma Chameleon" look today. As a Billy Idol fan, it hasn't escaped me that he has held onto the look he made famous so long ago as well. I'd be a fan regardless, Billy in a completely different look or Billy still going retro 80s. He would still be the same Billy in song. Same with Diana.
    It wasn't Roberta’s post i was thinking of who offered her opinion in a civilised and intelligent manner. More the SD resident with an obsession regarding a certain green amphibian. Know the one lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Complacency is my guess. I mean she did try to change it up every now and then sometimes using longer, straighter wigs/weaves/extensions but I feel as she's gotten older, she was of that "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" mindset as most legends around her age get.
    Last edited by midnightman; 07-05-2023 at 02:13 AM.

SUCH an important topic. I wonder if Mary should have done the same? And should Smokey ditch his face? And to think there are plebes who worry about Ukraine and climate change. Ribbit ribbit.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    SUCH an important topic. I wonder if Mary should have done the same? And should Smokey ditch his face? And to think there are plebes who worry about Ukraine and climate change. Ribbit ribbit.
    Oh dear!!. I wouldn’t call the topic particularly important, but really don’t see any reason to be offended by the subject.
    The forum is a place for fans to escape some of the upheaval and misery happening in the world today. Not to discuss the horrors of war.
    Try and think how very childish you come across next time you feel the need to call other members silly names. Who knows, it just might work.

With the recent news of Madonna postponing the launch of her world tour after collapsing [[and apparently being given Narcan to revive her from the dead), at least Diana Ross keeps her attempts to minimize her age in reasonable territory. One thing to wear wigs, put on globs of makeup and use 25-30 year old pictures for publicity/promotional purposes, but at least she's not trying to move and give same sort of performance she did 30, 40 or 50 years ago and thus relying on pain killers to power through a performance and dance like it was the 80s and 90s. Prince is another who fell to this and looks like Madonna may be on the same road unless this collapse gives her a reality check.

With the recent news of Madonna postponing the launch of her world tour after collapsing [[and apparently being given Narcan to revive her from the dead), at least Diana Ross keeps her attempts to minimize her age in reasonable territory. One thing to wear wigs, put on globs of makeup and use 25-30 year old pictures for publicity/promotional purposes, but at least she's not trying to move and give same sort of performance she did 30, 40 or 50 years ago and thus relying on pain killers to power through a performance and dance like it was the 80s and 90s. Prince is another who fell to this and looks like Madonna may be on the same road unless this collapse gives her a reality check.
    Quite true SL, though i would love to see Diana’s dance routine to “Ease On Down The Road” performed one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Is that her natural hair i wonder?.