[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I though for sure that if Thicke & Pharrell had to pay up for "Blurred Lines", that Sheeran was going to lose because this one sounds far more egregious to my ear. For the record, it's the heirs of Ed Townsend who brought the suit, not the Gaye Family.

I believe that the problem here is that everyone keeps mentioning the chord progression, when that's not what's tripping-up everyone. You can't copyright chord progressions, so, I don't know why Crump used that strategy.

Again, it's not the chord progression nor the melody of the song that's the problem here.

Rather than listen to the ENTIRE song, simply listen to the HOOK of "Thinking Out Loud". After that [[or if you know how to mix or have a mixer handy), play the intro of "Let's Get It On" & listen to the basslines & rhythmic accents of the BASS notes that you're hearing.

I haven't transposed both songs, but to my ear, the intervals of the notes & the rhythm of that bassline played on "Thinking Out Loud", sounds more than a little similar to that of "LGIO".

Which is why wily Ed DID NOT want that concert footage of him going into "LGIO" at his concert, opting instead for an acoustic guitar which WOULD NOT duplicate those bass notes which are played on his song.

I thought that the "Blurred Lines" decision was wrong, as the percussion licks were deemed to be "derivative". To my ear, the rhythms aren't the same at all. I believe that Thicke & Pharrell lost because of their pre-emptive strike, where they decided to sue first.

The catch here is that the decision wasn't handed-down by musicologists. The decision was made by regular people, some of whom most likely don't know a crotchet from a dotted 8th note.

To me, the answer lies in the bassline, the primary difference being that the bassline on "LGIO", adds a few notes not heard in "TOL". But again, listen to the interval of those notes & WHICH notes are emphasized on both.

It doesn't matter whether the 2 songs share the same key. The question is, do those bass notes played on both share the same intervals & are the same notes emphasized in both.

Sheeran was being cute & it's written all over his face when he slides into "LGIO" during his concert, smiling all the way as that crowd cheered.

Just one man's opinion
    Last edited by juicefree20; 05-31-2023 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Additional thought