[REMOVE ADS]

Page 24 of 99 FirstFirst ... 14 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 34 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 4943
    Oh yes. Beware the boss or manager who enjoys their title, but whose thoughts and actions neither warrant nor uphold that position.

Taken to an extreme, their skewed logic would lead them to advise that the most efficient and cost-effective way of getting value for money is to go shoplifting.

And those are the ones who will get caught!!!

The shop steward speaks,and wisely!

Meanwhile, the weekend approaches and, before that, a break or two, to unwind.

Let's hear it for the workers!

Fortunately, even in an increasingly contentious union shop, my credibility still allows me to say "I'm sorry" when I made a mistake without quick-trigger grievances being filed about my mistakes. I've had occasion to go out of my way to help literally all of them several times and they treat me with respect because I first afford it to them. Human decency is returned in kind? Who da thunk that?!

I'd say most people are at least as decent as we need them to be - even when they're having a bad day, then perhaps it doesn't always show as much as it might

Lesson #1 in the Jerry Oz School of Management: Regardless of your relationship with your subordinates, any of them is capable of going around you to get what he or she wants. Even if that means lying to your boss to put you in an unfair light. Recognize that as something that is not only possible, but inevitable, and it won't affect your relationship after the dust settles. It's really nothing personal and it doesn't mean the perpetrator isn't a decent person. Sometimes she wants a day off that you cannot provide, so she colors her appeal in a manner that makes it seem like you just don't want her to take the day off to care for the sick kids. So long as you are fair and consistent, you can live with yourself and still look her in the eye later. Failing to learn this lesson will make you the type of manager who doesn't trust people and who makes vengeful decisions.

I always had to walk a tightrope keeping the HR [or personnel, as it was then] Department happy. They thought I was too lax with my staff, but the work was always on time. In theory, each section leader was encouraged to develop their own management style, yet when I did so, they didn't like it.

How unfortunate for you! They tell you one thing yet don't follow through......I hate that!!! If you have a "style"[[as you put it), get the stuff done, people are happy then who cares? Sounds like these people are control freaks.

Agreed.

If one is encouraged to adopt an individual approach to work, with good results, but someone else has a problem with the way the results are achieved, then they need to justify their thoughts.

Otherwise, if it were me, I'd be thinking it was starting to sound 'personal'........

I had a buddy who worked for a company that provides logistics services for my company. Every year, his company conducts employee satisfaction surveys and one year, he was concerned because although his subordinates did not exactly shower him with praise, his numbers were still higher than those of his for group. His bosses intimated that his results were indication that he must have been doing something underhanded for his employees. In other words, why would his crew be happy when nobody else's was?

So, by that method of thinking, his bosses would regard the manager of the most unhappy crew as the best of all....??

The way he explained it to me, since his counterparts at other locations were consistently rated poorly, he upset the apple cart by showing that it wasn't the line of work that they had a problem with. It'd be easier to dismiss unhappy employees if the dissatisfaction was systemic to their line of work [[trucking). His crew either represented an outlier to that way of thinking or proved that their problem was fixable on a large but detailed scale. By showing that it was possible to motivate his crew, they had a huge job ahead of them by trying to figure out how to motivate everybody else's. It was a tail-wagging-the-dog way of thinking about it.

I wonder if they'll ever be sure of what they expect from the surveys, ever be happy with what they receive from them - and if they will ever understand them....

My company stopped conducting the surveys the same year they stopped issuing yearly raises. At my location, they also stopped conducting performance reviews. Probably so the boss could avoid answering the inevitable question: "So what happens if I don't meet or exceed all of my metrics?" Nobody is going to be fired and we all know that, but they can't hold a small or skipped raise as leverage anymore since we know there won't be one regardless of performance.

As our senior and junior managers were sent on different courses, it's no wonder that they often sang from different hymn-sheets.

As part of junior management, I used to dread our annual performance reviews. It's bad enough being appraised; it's even worse appraising someone else.

If you no longer receive annual raises, Jerry, how do you all cope with price-inflation?

I was once laid off rather abruptly. My wife was, and remains, the greatest spendthrift that I have ever known and her frugal ways are what allowed us to have enough of a bank account to survive until I was hired again. Since that experience, I became her willing disciple. In the 17 years since, we live on basically the same budget, even though I make twice as much.

My current job also pays overtime to my level of management, even though I am paid a salary, not hourly. Over the 15 years that I have been here, I never spend the overtime pay. Consequently, my bills are all paid and I am on path to retire at age 62 [[11 years from now). I have saved enough to manage for four or five years should I quit or otherwise lose my job again. Debt-free is definitely a great state of being... I am kind of prepared for everything but the disrespect of my current situation.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 09-28-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Little bit confused here. If your wife was, and is the greatest spendthrift you have ever known - but her frugal ways are what has allowed you to survive....,then she has since changed her ways....??

Oops. I meant "tightwad", not spendthrift... Freud slips in again. Anyway, to put it all in perspective, think about those people who have everything new - cell phones, televisions, automobiles, etc. - and wonder why they're always broke. Now imagine a couple who neither has nor needs to keep up with the Joneses even though they can probably afford to - that's us.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 09-29-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Well, being realistic is likely to get you the best out of all circumstances, I'd say.

Certainly better that, than simply to live in hope!

There are two ways to look at it:
    1. Live for today. We may not be around to see the fruits of our labors after saving for a few years, so why not enjoy today as much as possible? The only way to waste money, after all, is to not spend it.
    2. Live for tomorrow. It may get old to live paycheck-to-paycheck or even constantly in debt. Save while you're young so that you can enjoy your elder years debt-free.

Neither is right or wrong. On the first, you're gambling against comfort tomorrow, and on the second, you're betting you'll be healthy [[and alive) tomorrow and will want to enjoy living then as much as now.

I'd always plump for taking care of today's bills, and hopefully save something for tomorrow.

Then, if I really do want to do so [[but I need to think about it for a while), I'll open some [[but only some) of tomorrow's jam pots, today.

And I'm working a) for as long as I'm able or b) as long as I wish to [[whichever comes sooner) - but I'm self-employed, so that might be viewed as an advantage....

I need to find out exactly what I can do that will create the inner debate over whether I should quit early, at retirement age, or sometime way down the line. Right now, I'm plotting toward early retirement.

Whenever I officially retire, I'll not do so until I have a new routine or programme of interests set up to take my time. They're still in the planning stage.

Retirement can then be a bridge, just part of my journey, and not an ending. Some endings, when viewed from a distance, increasingly become a psychological, invisible and very high brick wall as the distance becomes shorter......

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Whenever I officially retire, I'll not do so until I have a new routine or programme of interests set up to take my time. They're still in the planning stage.

Retirement can then be a bridge, just part of my journey, and not an ending. Some endings, when viewed from a distance, increasingly become a psychological, invisible and very high brick wall as the distance becomes shorter......
    I totally agree, westgrand. No retirement until I have a plan. A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

If I had one, that is.....

It does seem as if many folks waste away and die too soon after retirement. It's so important to find something to keep your mind and body busy after 40 years of working.

Yes, I've heard it reported that many [[usually men) die within quite a short period of time following retirement. If that is true, I would imagine that the gap between men and women could now be narrowing. Can't quote any figures, but they won't account for those who die in work before retirement age.

It also doesn't account for some who were ill anyway, and maybe their work kept them going.

Perhaps all that many of the others have done throughout their working life is bemoan their lot, blame the boss, watch the clock until it's time to go home, and live all year looking forward to annual holidays. Come retirement, no reason to be miserable any more. End of very bleak story.....

And we're back to the point that work serves as an "escape valve" for difficulties at home. Spending more time with co-workers than families may make for awkward silences when it appears that you have more in common with relative strangers than suddenly strange relatives. And perhaps serious problems when they have to spend 100% of their time with their intimate strangers otherwise known as their husbands, wives, or life partners. No wonder they die soon after quitting...

Perhaps the moral of the sad story is "Be as happy as you can, every day".

And taking an overview, I suppose leading a long life needn't always be the ideal it might at first sight seem.

In the last two years of my working life I was only doing a three-day week, so I found the gradual wind-down helpful when I retired completely. However when I was doing my recent jury service, I found I quite liked having to get up in the morning again with a purpose and a structure to my day.

I've extended my working day, often to being at the computer after midnight.

That has made me a little slower in the mornings, although I find I can still maintain a steady pace.

Yes, having a structure to the day also benefits me. At times, it can feel like being a hamster in a wheel, but there is also satisfaction when the self-imposed targets are achieved.

It also helps for me to go to bed with the following day already planned. I find the idea of getting up, relaxing and then thinking "now, what shall I do today?" a very attractive proposition. Whenever that becomes a reality, inspiration often does not strike, and I then become frustrated with the feeling of a day passing, and getting nowhere fast...!
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-30-2013 at 07:39 PM.

I look forward to going to work. I believe I'll hang in there for 5 more years then I'm hanging it up. I would like to go out on top [[i.e. no burnout, not because I have to).
    Then westgrand.........you and I could be on that computer after midnight!!!
    But then, on to the next phase......

Well, we're on the computer now Moe, and it's after 1am here in UK - a day off tomorrow [[make that today!) for me....my next phase must be some sleep....

Wait, let me get this right... If it's 1:00 AM in the UK and 8:00 PM in the US... I mean in the EASTERN time zone... Errr........ Oh, never mind. I forgot what I was trying figure out!

Jerry, the screen advises me that SDF time is Greenwich Mean Time, less 5 hours.

The time shows as 4.47am - here in the UK it is 10.47am, Tuesday October 1st.

I make that 6 hours difference, but our clocks change later this month, and we 'fall back' an hour - so maybe we will then coincide.

But yes, it needs a lot of thought, doesn't it - as I guess that in Ohio you are different from SDF time?

I'm on SDF time. And I was just kidding, BTW... The time on your post is 5:47 AM, which puts you five hours in front of me right now.

I irritated some of our employees with this scenario:
    Two people are born at the exact same moment [[12:01 AM) in the same hospital one day. Over the course of their lives, one of them moved to a location five miles to the east of the International Date Line and the other moved five miles to the west. As luck would have it, they both died exactly 30 years after they were born at 12:01 AM.

Question: Was one of them one year older than the other when they died? I suggest the answer to be "yes" but I met was with vehement disagreement from the rank and file.

I can't reconcile that, Jerry, if you're on SDF time.

Your latest message of 9.11am [[morning) was received here at 15.11pm [[afternoon) - that's six hours in front....

My screen, at the foot, is currently showing [[All times are GMT-5) The time is now 09.19am.

It's showing 10:11 AM on my screen, though... Your message posted on my computer at 10:20 AM. Now, I'm perplexed for real...

It brings a whole new meaning to the word 'now', doesn't it.

Seems there may be an hour adjustment somewhere - either for your part of the US, or for me here in UK.

If we don't figure it out in the meantime, I will check and update you when we turn our clocks back one hour, early morning on Sunday, October 28th.....

If it's any help, I'm posting this at 2200 hours, which is 1700 hours in New York.

Well I will very soon join the ranks of your time zone, westgrand & 144man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Two people are born at the exact same moment [[12:01 AM) in the same hospital one day. Over the course of their lives, one of them moved to a location five miles to the east of the International Date Line and the other moved five miles to the west. As luck would have it, they both died exactly 30 years after they were born at 12:01 AM.

Question: Was one of them one year older than the other when they died? I suggest the answer to be "yes" but I met was with vehement disagreement from the rank and file.
    I reckon the answer is No, one is a day older than the other.

At first sight, without giving it too much thought, I'm inclined to agree with you, 144man. One day, yes - one year, no. Sorry, Jerry....

Oh, and 'Welcome!!' to our time zone, and to Dublin's fair city, Moe - even if, strictly speaking,you'll not be with us in the UK....and there are very many citizens in Dublin who are very pleased about that....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 10-02-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Oops. I meant to say they were born on New Year's Eve, which means that the one on the west of the date line died the following YEAR, not just a day... Does that change anything?

Ask the bereaved??

I did wonder, Jerry, if you might have omitted something fairly significant to support your argument.

I'm not entirely sure, but thinking quickly, on the face of it, it seems that the deceased in the time zone ahead would be aged 30, and in the new year - and the deceased in the time zone behind would be aged 29 [[but still of course in their 30th year), and given the old year in date of death.

Ours is such a small country compared to the US,but the different times across your country must make a difference. Had one of the deceased crossed the time line to meet the other, and they were both killed shortly afterwards, crossing the road for a meal, the date/year of death would therefore be identical for both?

It's something that I came up with to argue the other side of the response given. If somebody thinks that the one is technically older, I offer the counter opinion. If someone says that they each lived the same length of time, I counter with how technically they are wrong. Sometimes, I just want to engage folks to give them more to think about than the drudgery of the working day. You'd be surprised how some of the most introverted people come to life if given the chance to ponder something on an intellectual level.

No surprises there, Jerry. Of course they will 'come to life'....it's because they're getting some attention from you if, as you say, their working day is proving a bit of a drudge...your attention may well be a welcome distraction for them.

Of course, if the day is not a drudge for them, they're intent on something they enjoy, and you want to argue with them, I can imagine another response you may receive...

One of the best ways to motivate people is to get to know them and find out their passions. By reminding them of their convictions, they can affirm their beliefs. You might be surprised how we need to reinforce these convictions on a regular basis. Bringing up passions revitalizes us. And that's the method behind my madness of engaging them in thought.

I try to do this in a completely non-confrontational manner and I can stir them up. One of the things in which I take pride is the fact that I can ask someone to do something rather order them and normally they have no problem with doing it. If they trust me, they are more willing to understand that I am not trying to ruin their lives by giving them more to do.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 10-02-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Always an adventure, westgrand!

BTW, moe: Are you skipping across the pond? Can I go too?