[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 99 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 51 ... LastLast

Just a chime....or??

Gang it's s-a-t-u-r-d-a-y so he comes the question of the day,we all know that familiar chime that plays on our grandfather clocks on the hour which i think originated with big ben in england,well i want to know is it just a clock chime or is it a song?maybe one of our friends from the uk can answer this one!

good question r n b

they call that the westminster chime or the cambridge chime where it was 1st used at church of mary the great,cambridge,england.its proper name is the great bell of the clock,north tower,palace of westminster.but big ben is how everyone knows it,named after sir benjemin hall
    big ben is a 13 ton bell thats sits in saint stephen's tower [[the clock tower, houses of parliament) so its incorrect to say theres big ben looking at the clock tower,but everyone does it!
    the bell was cast in the whitechapel [[jack the ripper's stomping ground) foundary,in the east end of london.its still there,still making bells.i went past it last year,i couldnt believe it,thought it got bombed in ww2.
    the same foundary cast the liberty bell too.in 1976 it cast a new liberty bell as part of the bicentennial celebrations.thee new one unlike the original AND big ben isnt cracked!
    Last edited by tamla617; 06-19-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: cant spell,its the bells,the bellsits all bells!

Tamla617

You know more than me and this is my home town!

i was bought up 10 miles from trafalger square.

That is interesting Tamla [[for as many times as I've been over there I didn't know the specifics)............for a minute I thought that R&B was hearing chimes in his head [[which is entirely possible, especially when he's in his shed out back with his hooch).

whats worrying me is he was cowering in the corner hiding from big [[bad) ben!

Thanks tamla,sounds like it's just a chime,cool you're very astute a veriable conocation of information you should be insured by loyds of london!!

you misspelt loyds of london.what the L have you done with it.hang on,here it is Lloyds

now have i spelt misspelt right?and who is she?

Wate a menit whend ded thiss tern ento a spillin bea[and by the way i use to date miisspelt and she ain't too particular]!!

You both have been out in R&B's shed.........

it doesnt exist.the still blew up!

and why is it called spelling bea? r n bea?

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post

and why is it called spelling bea? r n bea?
    R n bea? I think that rings a bell....or a chime....or something.

no a "clapper" hits the inside of the bell.............................................. BONG!

Clap on [[clap, clap) clap off [[clap, clap)....where's the lamp?
    Or is the clapper in the toilet??

Glad you got that out of your cistern.

thomas CRAPPER invented the flushing toilet,hence going for a crap [[its all goin down hill this thread,i can feel it)

a clapper is a chinese toilet

And what do y'call an Eskimo's home with no loo, then....????

i'll have a go at.............................ig

hope this isnt a QI moment

You're right...and no, it isn't.....!

What are you talking about, tamla? When I was in China the only "clapper" I peed in was a hole in the ground..............with only a prayer that I wouldn't fall into the hole!

uptight Guest
    An Eskimo's home with no loo....????

A tee-pee. [[Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!)

a joke with [[criminal) intent

Law & Order.........

I ask a normal question about a chime and this is the response i get,well i've got one thing to say to you find folks.....haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..you guys are still crazy haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa,,i'm on the floor my sides are splitting oh stop it no more ha,haha,hahahaha...haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yesirree.............he's out in the shed again!

with split sides it wont be standing much longer

cant wait for the punch line

Nooooooooooo............it's the "punch " that's in the shed!!

Just thought it was time for me to chime in again...

you're eight hours late!

Sorry...I lost the thread.

Ding Dong!

I hear no bells.

You sure it wasn't Avon calling?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  21.1 KB
    you misspelt loyds of london.what the L have you done with it.hang on,here it is Lloyds

now have i spelt misspelt right?and who is she?
    No. You HAVE spelt "misspelt" correctly. But you used it in a grammatically incorrect way. "spelt" is the past participle of the verb "to spell". So, you should have written: "I HAVE MISSPELT", or "I HAD MISSPELT". But, had you only wished to use straight past tense, as you attempted, you should have used: I "misspelled".

US English is different. Their past participle is the same as straight past [["misspelled" or "spelled"). I learned it as "has/have misspelt"/"has/have spelt" in Canada, back in the 1940s. But most Canadians under 50 years old whose writing I see, use the US spelling for the past participle. So, I guess the US spelling has come into general usage in Canada.

You Brits [[and the Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans) are the only ones who use "whilst", anymore. You NEVER hear or read it in USA, and seldom hear it in Canada, anymore.

So is Tamla "spoiled for choice" or is he "spoilt for choice"?

Views: 1619

He is or was "SPOILED" for choice". But he could HAVE BEEN "SPOILT for choice", or might have HAD BEEN "SPOILT for choice".

English is much too complicated for its own good. but, at least it's a lot less so than German! At least we have something to be happy about, concerning our language [[other than the fact that the whole rest of The World has to learn it). But, it would be nice if we got rid of our ridiculous word spellings based on pronunciations from the Ninth Century!

Yes, we should make it fonetik.

144man
    robbk
    forsooth and gadzooks thou is spoilt for choice,steak medium rare/medium,chips [[fries)/saute or forget the whole ball o wax and have crisps [[chips)
    we're still waiting for the saxons to turn up

robbk
    wilst i agree with you got some good olde english going strong too

bestest

gotten

its never heard here unless its a cousin or american sports tv cast

Views: 1615
    robbk
    wilst i agree with you got some good olde english going strong too

bestest

gotten

its never heard here unless its a cousin or american sports tv cast
    "bestest" is an American hillbilly and Southern US usage [[incorrect, at least in current "proper" American English, as far as I know. But, isn't "gotten" currently the proper past participle for the verb "to get" in The UK? It certainly is in North America. I must be misunderstanding you. To me, your statement reads that one doesn't hear the word "gotten" in The UK, unless by an American 9the cousin reference I don't understand).

We say "have gotten" or "had gotten", as in the following sentence: "It has gotten colder here, since the Earth has been moving away from The Sun."

gotten isnt used except for "ill gotten gains" proceeds from crime etc. or said as a "joke" infering you have something from dodgy circumstances.

bestest is old english and correct but is never used.i've heard american sports commentators say that was the bestest time this year.it just sounds silly when best would do.and doesnt "sound" right

the cousin reference as in "our american cousins" we sometimes say that about americans.to confuse you more i have a bus load of 2nd generation american cousins.......thank goodness! my great uncle emigrated in 1909 ish.
    Last edited by tamla617; 08-30-2011 at 04:21 PM.

english is THE most complicated language and has the most words.its roots are in...latin,greek,norse,saxon/german,french and more recently [[200 years) indian,arabic from the empire days and wars abroad.words picked up from returning sailors,soldiers etc.tatoo came from from the pacific,pyjamas from asia,pukka from india.in the uk forces we spoke a wierd english the civvy's couldnt understand.now its in the national vocab.

Views: 1602
    So, as I understand you, people don't use imperfect and past perfect tenses in Britain anymore? Do they not use them in USA anymore? I woudn't know, because when I'm in USA [[Los Angeles, to be precise), I only meet Spanish speakers. I hardly know I'm in a supposedly English speaking nation. My Castilian is not all that helppful, as most of my neighbours are Oaxacan.

But, when I'm back in Winnipeg, among my own generation, and the one below, I hear "have gotten" and "had gotten" enough. But, perhaps our grandchildren's generation doesn't use it anymore? I do notice a dropping in old speech forms in Dutch speech as well, from my own generation to today's youth and common usage. They are all going to end up like Mexican Spanish, using only straight present and straight past tenses. I guess my speech and writing styles are like old fossils, now.

Funny thing, - I spentquite a bit of time in England during the 1970s and 1980s [[mostly in Greater London Area and Lancashire [[Manchester/Salford/Eccles/Oldham), and don't remember being shocked at the language degradation you describe). Maybe it has changed most in just the past 30 years?

No, we still use the perfect and pluperfect in England, e.g. Past:I went; Perfect: I have gone; Pluperfect: I had gone. In the case of "to get" the salient point is that "got" is the UK past participle. "Gotten", the US past participle, is considered archaic in UK usage.

A worrying trend is that adverbial forms seem to be falling into disuse. People now do things "quick" instead of "quickly".

Views: 1634
    Thanks for the info, 144Man. I believe that "gotten" is still used in Canada, at least among my family members and friends. and their children. What about in Australia, New Zealand and English South Africa?

Have you Brits been changing other past participles behind our backs?

Well, I guess The Americans are getting even by even reversing the logic of the language [[i.e. changing "I couldn't care less" to "I COULD care less")-making no sense at all, and changing spellings like: "too" to "to", "their" to "thier". were to "where", and changing adverbs, such as "well" a condition, to "good" a noun or quality. I guess it doesn't matter that much, because the only people I meet when in USA speak Spanish, not English.

robbk
    hola!mi no habla espaniol
    i was born in salford [[bruce springsteen eat your heart out!)and my parents had the sense to let me stay there long enough to breath unaided and get me outa there!btw the 1st test tube baby in the world was "conceived" and born in the same hospital in salford 1978!
    the 1st railway,canal,municipal airport all in that area,cotton from the states and egypt and beyond straight into the heart of manchester[[and salford!) via the manchester ship canal all made it the uk's 2nd city.all that and manchester united too!

mum and dad were from the eccles area.and i do like the swinton/monton/worsley area.

and you're right it has really degraded but not in 20/30 but in 10 years imo.
    Last edited by tamla617; 08-31-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Views: 1550
    robbk
    i was born in salford [[bruce springsteen eat your heart out!)
    btw the 1st test tube baby in the world was "conceived" and born in the same hospital in salford 1978!

mum and dad were from the eccles area.and i do like the swinton/monton/worsley area.
    I may have been in Salford when the test tube baby was born.

When I used to stay in Eccles, it was in Monton.

Why should Bruce Springsteen want to have been born in Salford? Because mostly industrial workers live their? "Salt of The Earth"?

he sang born in the USA,i started my post with i was born in salford
    try singing it to bruce's tune,it dont work!

monton was where my mum was born and married.my dad came from swinton

the baby,louise brown i think was born in the summer of 78.i just checked and she is said to have been born in oldham,lancs.
    which is wierd because when she was born hope hospital,salford was mentioned,and i would absolutly remember that'cos i was born there too!hope hosp may have been the location of Dr steptoe's hospital/research/fertilisation clinic.

Views: 1553
    I used to stay in Oldham, as well. However, that was in the 1980s. I DO remember all the hullabaloo about the first test tube baby, and that it was born in The UK. I hadn't remembered that that all occurred in Lancashire. One would have logically expected that it would have happened in GLA.

my keyboard keeps doing tha