[REMOVE ADS]

Father & Son Review of DRATS/Temptations on Ed Sullivan

I thought this review by the dad & his son was 'cute' as they watched the famous appearance of Diana Ross & the Supremes and the Temptations performance on the Ed Sullivan Show.

For those who are/were unfamiliar with the Ed Sullivan show, the dad gave a nice summary of the program's relevance to those of us in the 50s-60s-early 70s decades. Also, the dad was pretty much on point with his play-by-play of the background of the Supremes and the Temptations as he and the son watched the performance.

We've seen this performance, thanks to YouTube, many times. It had never really 'hit' me until watching this again just how much the medley was focused on Diana Ross. Yes, Lurlean, I know Berry was continuing to push her out front; however, this was so blatant almost to the point of portraying Cindy & Mary AND the Temptations as merely window treatments.

Don't get me wrong. Diana has always been my favorite Supreme; however, I can now understand one of the many reasons why the Diana hater crowd view her with negativity.

Still, she was outstanding in this performance.

I think that's why a lot of us fans view the 60s Supremes in two different eras: the true group Supremes, the original trio, the one where each lady had her own role, her place, lead singer or not; and then DRATS, where Mary and Cindy were more Vandellas to Diana's Martha. I don't know that I would categorize the Tempts as window dressing here, though.

While I'll never understand how people get so nasty about a singer they've never met and how they internalize a beef on behalf of someone else, I do think one reason why Diana gets some of what she gets is because for those not thoroughly entertained by her, she can come across quite annoying. She's one of my favorite singers of all time and even I cringe on occasion when she makes a certain face or when she's speaking. Lol

One of my favorite Supremes TV performances. I also love Diana's wig style in the performance!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post

RanRan 79...I do think one reason why Diana gets some of what she gets is because for those not thoroughly entertained by her, she can come across quite annoying. She's one of my favorite singers of all time and even I cringe on occasion when she makes a certain face or when she's speaking. Lol
    RanRan19,What you said!!! I have loved her so many years; however, even I used to say to myself [[and to the tv screen), "I love you; however, can you tone it down a little?" She definitely innately possessed/possesses so much charisma.

I really enjoy watching these reaction videos. I get a kick out of seeing some of the younger people really admiring the talent instead of coming to it prejudiced because of some books or articles they've read.

Although I must admit that quite often, these videos also make me feel old. And sometimes the reviewers lack of knowledge about the people they are reviewing can make me cringe. But then I have to check myself and realize that we all don't have the same reference points.

thoroughly enjoyed this! thanks for posting!

So did I! Usually, I cringe at the inanities the young spout in these vids, but this young man was super-thoughtful and perceptive. Made me smile. Thanks for posting.

So simple - the young guy just takes it for what it is - no parsing for shadows, no conspiracy theories. Just refreshingly simple

Very enjoyable

If I had never seen this before, I might had said those other women in the yellow dresses were dancers

I love the sons comment “You can tell she’s the star” as Diana moves six feet in front of the other performers on stage lol.
    A great and now classic performance from all concerned.