[REMOVE ADS]

Sylvester-"Disco Heat--The Fantasy Years 1977-1981" [2CD-Real Gone-6/2/23]

Info from Real Gone Music-
    When the self-described “disco queen” known as Sylvester stepped on a New York stage opening for Chaka Khan, the local press was entranced. One newspaper approvingly noted that he made “David Bowie look like Lawrence Welk.” Nothing was too outrageous for Sylvester. But at his core, he was serious about music and about breaking down the walls of identity. In appearance and demeanor, the unapologetically gay San Francisco star challenged the gender binary long before such discussions were in the mainstream, going far beyond androgyny to create a striking persona all his own. Now, Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records celebrate the late trailblazer with the release of the first comprehensive anthology of his seminal recordings for Fantasy Records. Disco Heat: The Fantasy Years 1977-1981 features 25 tracks on two CDs drawn from all six of his albums for the label, as well as the rare 12-inch Disco Versions that kept the dancefloors burning. In addition to versions of every hit Sylvester scored for Fantasy featuring crossover smashes like “You Make Me Feel [Mighty Real]” and “Dance [Disco Heat],” the collection offers an array of remarkable covers including his moving live version of Patti LaBelle’s “You Are My Friend,” a smoldering medley of Barry Manilow’s “Could It Be Magic” and Leon Russell’s “A Song for You,” Leiber and Stoller’s dramatic “I [Who Have Nothing],” Ashford and Simpson’s “Over and Over,” the Peggy Lee standard “Fever,” and Burt Bacharach and Hal David’s “I Took My Strength from You.” Featuring the vocals of Izora Rhodes and Martha Wash, later known as The Weather Girls, Disco Heat traces Sylvester’s Fantasy career with an emphasis on the bold dance music he made, underscoring the significance of black and gay artists to the creation of disco itself. Joe Marchese of The Second Disc provides detailed new liner notes placing Sylvester’s music into the context of the era, while the audio has been newly remastered by Mike Milchner at SonicVision. Disco Heat, released in time for Pride Month 2023, is a striking tribute to the enduring and ahead-of-his-time diva. “Sometimes folks make us feel strange,” Sylvester told a New York audience in 1978, “but we’re not strange. And those folks – they’ll just have to catch up.” The world has finally caught up with The Fabulous Sylvester.

1. Over and Over [12” Disco Version]
    2. Down Down Down [12” Disco Version]
    3. I Been Down
    4. Tipsong
    5. Loving Grows Up Slow
    6. Never Too Late
    7. Dance [Disco Heat] [12” Disco Version]
    8. You Make Me Feel [Mighty Real] [12” Disco Version]
    9. Was It Something That I Said
    10. I Took My Strength From You
    11. I Who Have Nothing [12” Short Disco Version]
    12. Body Strong [12” Disco Version]
    13. I Need Somebody To Love Tonight
    14. Stars [12” Disco Version]
    15. Can’t Stop Dancing [12” Disco Version]
    16. In My Fantasy [I Want You, I Need You] [12” Disco Version]
    17. You Are My Friend [Single Version]
    18. Medley: Could it Be Magic/A Song For You
    19. I Need You
    20. Sell My Soul [12” Disco Version]
    21. Fever
    22. Change Up
    23. Here Is My Love
    24. Give It Up [Don’t Make Me Wait] [12” Disco Version]
    25. Thinking Right
    26. I Can’t Believe I’m In Love

Pre-order from Real Gone Music-
    Sylvester Disco Heat--The Fantasy Years 1977-1981 [2-CD Set] – Real Gone Music

Since so few current artists are releasing CDs any more [[or at least not with any regularity), I am happy to see the various labels getting creative and releasing all these classics from the good old days. Keep 'em coming!!!!

I think I might get this one too! Love the cover.

The studio side of "Living Proof" has never been released digitally, has it?

Is there still a market for disco? I am way out of touch...

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Is there still a market for disco? I am way out of touch...
    Yes; there's still a market for Disco Music based on the upcoming collections for KC & The Sunshine Band, The Weather Girls, this Sylvester set & the Donna Summer documentary coming soon to HBO.

I love the cover as well and will obtain my very own of this cd. I'd love to see the full live set be released.