Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
Thanks RanRan, I was trying to remember if he said that the track was cut on Junior Walker or that the track was in process of being cut with the background done, I admit it is intriguing with Johnny Bristol's involvement with both groups and Motown lifting portions of one record to record with another artist. On this forum, I've heard that Someday was supposed to be Diana's first record as a solo, and I also heard that that was merely a rumor. It's a mystery...why would Motown on this particular record think that they don't want Mary/Cindy OR the Andantes...but let's bring in the Waters [[or the Blackberries)
It's my understanding that the story of "Someday" intended for Diana's first solo release is fact. I could be wrong, but I think someone involved- Gordy perhaps- confirmed it in a book or article, or something. [[Reese, this is where you come in to save the day with your Supremes info we rely on so much.)

Now, before the song was assigned to Diana, it was apparently intended for Junior. If the track was cut and the backing vocals added, all it needed was Junior's vocal. When it was reassigned to Diana, well, all they needed was her vocal as the background vocals were already cut. As we know, the female groups were apparently expendable when it came to recording the lead vocalist. [[Even Flo and Mary recorded leads with the Andantes on background. Definitely one of the biggest mysteries of Motown, why they felt the female groups could use subs but the male groups, for the most part, did not.) So not having Mary and Cindy on "Someday" probably had nothing to do with anyone's thoughts about them, good or bad. It was just the way things happened. Of course, Motowners were no strangers to recording leads over "finished" tracks anyway. The Supremes version of "Any Girl In Love", for instance, is just Diana's voice recorded over the same exact track that Kim Weston recorded her lead on first. HDH didn't bother to have Flo and Mary recut the background and kept the Andantes on it instead.