[REMOVE ADS]

Temptations and Four Tops 2022 UK tour

Has any one from the forum attended any of theses shows Yet ??? Anyone seen any reviews

Well no replies to this thread, so I will give my own review of tonight's Cardiff show.
    Opening the night were Odyssey, well the singer Lillian's son with 2 female singers, they sang the hits and did an ok job of warming up the crowd, the arena was 2/3rds full, then came Four Tops, well 3 of them, the current lead singer was down with covid, so Laurence Payton Jr stepped up to lead the group and he did well, his tribute to his dad, dance with my father, went down well, but Dukes tribute to his fallen band mates , My [[our) Way, gave him a standing ovation.
    Then came the Temptations, the greatest hits, Ron Tyson opened up with Get Ready, and the new Lead and Base singers really lifted the group, Otis introduced the new single, is it yes or no, which was well received, then came treat her like a lady and My Girl and the evening was over too soon
    Really enjoyed the evening, the band was great, and the band leader for the four tops was the son of Earl Van Dyke, bit of trivia for Motown fans .

Did the Temptations do Lady Soul? That was a highlight of the show when I saw them a few years ago at Coney Island Ford ampitheatre.

No, didn't do lady soul, really just the Big hits, papa was a rolling stone, I wish it would rain, I can't get next to you, way you do things you do, just my imagination, ball of confusion, and as above get ready , treat her like a lady [[ ain't no stopping us mashed in) and my girl

I normally shy away from gigs such as this because none of the original lead singers are present. [A bitter, depressive, and spiteful cynic might say that you saw "The Temptation" and "One Top".]

After being given some tickets as a present, however, my wife and I saw the same Odyssey-who-aren't-Odyssey back around 2019 when they opened for Heatwave-who-aren't-Heatwave. It was a good night mainly because everyone knew the songs and could sing and dance along. At the same time, however, I was occasionally tearful because I was saying goodbye to the artists, music industry colleagues, and era that have defined much of who I am.

So I'm a saddo.

The friend who bought the tickets for my wife and I has, however, just seen the Tempts and Tops, and has also seen groups such as The Stylistics [[with no RAT Jr.) and The-Drifters-who-aren't-The-Drifters and has always thoroughly enjoyed herself.

So... what do these gigs mean to you?
    Last edited by Sotosound; 10-11-2022 at 07:27 AM.

I feel I'm supporting Otis and Duke, as they are trying to keep the legacy alive, but these groups with no original members should be advertised as Tributes, that said I did enjoy the night !!

I saw The Tempts and Tops at the O2 about 4 years ago. I thought they were both pretty great. Tavares were the opener and they were good too.

Pretty cool to hear The Tempts doing their new single as well.

What do these gigs mean to me? It depends but full disclosure, I've stopped going to shows. Maybe it's age, maybe it's about the friends that I've lost...or maybe it's all those things and more. shrugs

However when I was going, sometimes it was strictly about the music. Sometimes it was about the memories, what was going on in my life when I first heard a particular song? Then there were times when it was about the artist, and not always the original artist if they were entertaining me, because if I want to hear the original, I retreat to my music collection, close my eyes and remember the good old days when a song or voice would make me feel something like no other song or voice ever will again! Sometimes and in the latter days most times, it was about showing support and appreciation to members past and present that continue the legacy. So again, it just depends.