[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nice tribute by a "best friend" of mary wilson

In 1969, I met this crazy Jewish girl who soon became my best friend. – Mary Wilson, from her book, Dreamgirl, My Life as a Supreme

That “crazy Jewish girl.” is Margie Haber and she wrote a nice article about Mary and their long time friendship

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stori...haber-feature/

Thanks for sharing, Milven. It seems she was there for many historic and adventurous moments. I would have also appreciated reading more about the personal qualities she admired in Mary, or the type of friend that she was to her. It would have made this tribute piece a bit more balanced. Perhaps she wanted to keep those thoughts private, hence her choice to focus on her memories of their shared glamorous life in LA together.

Since Margie felt it was necessary to mention Diana and her dislike of her [[and vice versa), in Diana's defense, it's common for any celebrity to be surrounded by hanger-on types who try to interject themselves into their inner circle. It's possible Diana looked her up and down and thought, "Who is this woman that's now constantly coming around and telling us what we should do?" I'm sure she understandably felt annoyed by her suddenly hanging around. However, instead of owning up to her part in this or trying to understand where Diana was coming from, it's probably easier to tell everyone, "Diana Ross was a bitch to me!" Makes for an interesting story Although again, I don't know how necessary it is to mention these types of dramatic moments when paying tribute to your deceased friend. It shifts the focus off of them, and makes it sound less like a tribute and more like an interview for J Randy's book, "Call Her Miss Ross".

It feels a bit superficial to me.
    Last edited by carlo; 03-08-2022 at 12:24 AM.

... well, Mary herself refers to this person as "crazy", so ... And I can't help but wonder why Mary felt the need to identify the woman's religion. She referred to Rita Coolidge as her best friend but to my knowledge did not refer to Rita as "my Episcopalian [or whatever] friend".
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-08-2022 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Milven. It seems she was there for many historic and adventurous moments. I would have also appreciated reading more about the personal qualities she admired in Mary, or the type of friend that she was to her. It would have made this tribute piece a bit more balanced. Perhaps she wanted to keep those thoughts private, hence her choice to focus on her memories of their shared glamorous life in LA together.

Since Margie felt it was necessary to mention Diana and her dislike of her [[and vice versa), in Diana's defense, it's common for any celebrity to be surrounded by hanger-on types who try to interject themselves into their inner circle. It's possible Diana looked her up and down and thought, "Who is this woman that's now constantly coming around and telling us what we should do?" I'm sure she understandably felt annoyed by her suddenly hanging around. However, instead of owning up to her part in this or trying to understand where Diana was coming from, it's probably easier to tell everyone, "Diana Ross was a bitch to me!" Makes for an interesting story Although again, I don't know how necessary it is to mention these types of dramatic moments when paying tribute to your deceased friend. It shifts the focus off of them, and makes it sound less like a tribute and more like an interview for J Randy's book, "Call Her Miss Ross".

It feels a bit superficial to me.
    I guess many feel the need to include a Diana memory in their writings but yeah, it seems unnecessary.

Myself, I would have liked to hear more about this solo gig of Mary's at the Apollo. I have never heard about this before and Mary didn't mention it in either of her books. One would think such an event would have been talked about, at least amongst the fans, in the following years.

I think y’all are reading too deeply into this.

Maybe she was referencing Mary's appearance on Showtime at the Apollo?

Here's another Showtime at the Apollo performance, a tribute to Pearl Bailey:

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Maybe she was referencing Mary's appearance on Showtime at the Apollo?

I don't think so. Margie writes as if was an engagement in 1969.

It was an interesting read so thanks for sharing.

Mary should have asked her for some of these memories when writing her books.

Nice tribute and as a Diana fan I didn't feel it did her any disservice..everyone knows she could be snippy at times..no big deal

I find some of the convoluting excuses for Diana’s rudeness really funny. I think Mary and many others just accepted it was part of who she was and got on with it. In this particular incident, i think she got off rather lightly lol.

Very nice tribute to Mary Wilson. She come across, as usual, open caring and friendly. I remember Margie being mentioned in her books and around the time of Speak, Mary was taking acting classes from her. Margie wasn't included in the Grammy Tribute, so perhaps their friendship was less close in latter years. As far as her interactions with Diana Ross, I look at it this way-Mary was Diana's friend and bandmate first and we all know how we may feel when a friend brings in another person when they were our friend first and we don't care for the person they brought in so I would side with Diana because Mary was her friend and she just didn't like her new friend. We don't know how Margie was with Diana-just her side- and I am sure Miss Ross probably only vaguely remembers her. Still, it was a nice tribute and Mary seemed to have been a friend to so many and loved very much by so many.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    As far as her interactions with Diana Ross, I look at it this way-Mary was Diana's friend and bandmate first and we all know how we may feel when a friend brings in another person when they were our friend first and we don't care for the person they brought in so I would side with Diana because Mary was her friend and she just didn't like her new friend.
    They were grown women, not ten year old girls. She was my friend first so i’m not going to be nice to you. I mean really!!. I would have thought she could at least retain a modicum of civility, as opposed to being outright rude. Call me old fashioned if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    They were grown women, not ten year old girls. She was my friend first so i’m not going to be nice to you. I mean really!!. I would have thought she could at least retain a modicum of civility, as opposed to being outright rude. Call me old fashioned if you like.
    But these comments are exactly what is wrong with Margie's "tribute". The focus is now on Diana and her behavior as opposed to Mary's friendship with Margie. There's a time and a place for relating fact of the matter stories and IMO a written or verbal tribute to what is claimed as a dear friend isn't the place. Margie could've focused solely on her relationship with Mary, the interesting people Margie was able to meet through Mary, and their fun times without mentioning her interactions with Diana at all. Interestingly, Margie doesn't once mention what it was like to meet and hangout with Cindy or Jean, good or bad.

I appreciate Margie's tribute for what it is, same as I did Mary's publicist's tribute at the Grammy museum, but the digs at Diana in the midst of what should be a focus on Mary just tells me the kind of people they likely are. I'll go so far as to say Diana may have sensed this in Margie way back then, her behavior as unacceptable as it was as related by Margie. Mary seemed to always be making a new friend. Even Mary didn't write about Diana having a problem with them all.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    But these comments are exactly what is wrong with Margie's "tribute". The focus is now on Diana and her behavior as opposed to Mary's friendship with Margie. There's a time and a place for relating fact of the matter stories and IMO a written or verbal tribute to what is claimed as a dear friend isn't the place. Margie could've focused solely on her relationship with Mary, the interesting people Margie was able to meet through Mary, and their fun times without mentioning her interactions with Diana at all. Interestingly, Margie doesn't once mention what it was like to meet and hangout with Cindy or Jean, good or bad.

I appreciate Margie's tribute for what it is, same as I did Mary's publicist's tribute at the Grammy museum, but the digs at Diana in the midst of what should be a focus on Mary just tells me the kind of people they likely are. I'll go so far as to say Diana may have sensed this in Margie way back then, her behavior as unacceptable as it was as related by Margie. Mary seemed to always be making a new friend. Even Mary didn't write about Diana having a problem with them all.
    I agree, the event was not the time for old recriminations, though she clearly had an axe to grind. None of us of course are privy to the true history between the women.
    The posts i read were commenting that Diana was probably put out by Mary’s new friendship, making her actions perfectly understandable. Taken at face value, this was something i personally disagree with.
    I don’t think it fair to question Margie’s integrity on just this episode alone. Judging by how she handled the situation it sounds like she possessed a certain amount of class.
    As already mentioned, Diana could be snippy at the best of times.

i agree. the Diana comment was unnecessary. especially given the long history of the feud between the women and the known history of the polarization among fans.

i'm sure there were plenty of days where Mary was a total bitch

otherwise I found it a fun, light-hearted tribute. Margie seems to have focused mostly on their early years, which is fine. remember - these were young women. barely in the mid-20s when Diana left the group. they'd already, frankly, had 1 full career and were now embarking on a second! lol pretty amazing. So to share and reminisce on being this 'mere mortal' in the world of stars is a fun little story.

I do think she does a nice job of calling out how open and friendly mary was to her, from day 1. how they were there for each other as the years went on

I find some of the convoluting excuses for Diana’s rudeness really funny. I think Mary and many others just accepted it was part of who she was and got on with it. In this particular incident, i think she got off rather lightly lol.
    In my opinion, I think it would be accurate to say that the majority of the posts on this forum are 'convoluted' in nature. After all, we tend to discuss at length personal issues between these legendary ladies, 50+ years after the fact. We provide our own opinions and insights on situations that occurred when none of us were present in the room. I suppose to echo your earlier sentiments in another thread, that is the beauty of the freedom of speech, as convoluted as it may be. It allows for alternate viewpoints, new thoughts and perhaps even derives the occasional chuckle from those who tend to police the forum.

Judging by how she handled the situation it sounds like she possessed a certain amount of class.
    As already mentioned, Diana could be snippy at the best of times.
    To be fair, you are judging the situation [[ie. Margie's classy behaviour) based on her own account of the situation. As far as I know, I've never heard Diana speak about Margie or share her feelings about her. Her lack of discussion on Margie makes it clear she never cared about her then or now.

Although I do agree that there have been many accounts over the years that have described Diana as [[to use your words) 'snippy'.
    Last edited by carlo; 03-09-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    In my opinion, I think it would be accurate to say that the majority of the posts on this forum are 'convoluted' in nature. After all, we tend to discuss at length personal issues between these legendary ladies, 50+ years after the fact. We provide our own opinions and insights on situations that occurred when none of us were present in the room. I suppose to echo your earlier sentiments in another thread, that is the beauty of the freedom of speech, as convoluted as it may be. It allows for alternate viewpoints, new thoughts and perhaps even derives the occasional chuckle from those who tend to police the forum.

To be fair, you are judging the situation [[ie. Margie's classy behaviour) based on her own account of the situation. As far as I know, I've never heard Diana speak about Margie or share her feelings about her. Her lack of discussion on Margie makes it clear she never cared about her then or now.

Although I do agree that there have been many accounts over the years that have described Diana as [[to use your words) 'snippy'.
    ‘Convoluted’is perhaps the wrong choice of word. I just believe that based on Margie’s account, [which is all we have to go on) Diana didn’t have to be quite so rude. What would Margie have to gain by intentionally lying?.
    Who truly knows what verbal exchanges the two women might have shared during the course of that evening. As i previously mentioned, she obviously had an axe to grind, bad timing though it was.
    Does the fact that as far as your aware Diana has never mentioned Margie make it likely the two women never shared a volatile relationship or the incident happened in a rather different way?. I would imagine that Diana has indeed quite rightly forgotten an altercation of so long ago. That does not necessarily indicate it never happened.

P.s Snippy was copied from another poster.

‘Convoluted’is perhaps the wrong choice of word. I just believe that based on Margie’s account, [which is all we have to go on) Diana didn’t have to be quite so rude. What would Margie have to gain by intentionally lying?.
    Who truly knows what verbal exchanges the two women might have shared during the course of that evening. As i previously mentioned, she obviously had an axe to grind, bad timing though it was.
    Does the fact that as far as your aware Diana has never mentioned Margie make it likely the two women never shared a volatile relationship or the incident happened in a rather different way?. I would imagine that Diana has indeed quite rightly forgotten an altercation of so long ago. That does not necessarily indicate it never happened.

P.s Snippy was copied from another poster.
    Understood. I didn't look at it as Margie intentionally lying, but more so that Margie is interpreting the situation/Diana's behaviour from her own point of view. I was trying to state that Diana has never publicly shared her memories of Margie and therefore perhaps her memory of Margie may provide an interesting counterbalance to Margie's memories of Diana [[ie. Two sides to every story). Although I don't doubt that Diana was indeed cold to her, whether it was justified or unjustified.

Just another in a long line of people who were, and apparently remain, jealous of Diana's success & apparently don't have much else going on in their lives.

I'm always left feeling that they think if they don't refer to Diana Ross, they'll get little or no attention - so they always have to throw something in; and if you can be somewhat sensationalist, you get a little more attention than if you are kind.

It’s a lovely tribute and she obviously, as so many many people did, love Mary very much. I agree with everyone that certain comments could have perhaps been saved for A more appropriate missive. And I won’t even get into if I think it’s true or not, But there was an audience for that comment and she knew it.

Over a year after Mary’s premature and unexpected death, the loving tributes continue to pour in. With the success and huge enthusiasm that surrounds the Anthology release, it would be great to finally hear those “Clarity”tracks, perhaps added to an expanded “Walk The Line cd. Mary really did touch so many’s peoples lives.
    Queen Supreme forever.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 03-09-2022 at 06:16 PM.

Over a year after Mary’s premature and unexpected death, the loving tributes continue to pour in. With the success and huge enthusiasm that surrounds the Anthology release, it would be great to finally hear those “Clarity”tracks, perhaps added to an expanded “Walk The Line cd. Mary really did touch so many’s peoples lives.
    Queen Supreme forever.
    I think every single person has mentioned how much fun Mary was and how full of life and how kind. That never gets old because anyone who met Mary or ever got to know her at any level, what agree that she was an extraordinarily wonderful person to be around. She was a star, yet humble, she never lost sight of who she was. I don’t know that very many people in any walk of life ever was remembered as being so much fun for so long. It was a beautiful and loving tribute.

Would have been a nicer tribute without the needless bra-twisting by a Diana Denier, but then again what else can we expect? Thankfully the majority of Mary Wilson tributes [[and there have been appropriately many) have managed to avoid this type of soiled-panty rinsing. I'm one of many thousands looking forward to Diana's upcoming tour. This latest petty bit of hanger-on snark does not move the needle one bit.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-09-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think so. Margie writes as if was an engagement in 1969.
    I took a look at the article again, and Margie writes re: Apollo:
    "One night, my friend Jeffrey and I went to see her in a solo gig at the Apollo. I had never been to the Apollo and I’m sure it was obvious to the rest of the audience as we were the only Caucasians in a packed house of her fans. We experienced more than a few stares, as if we had walked into the wrong club.
    Mary must have noticed the tension in the air. After her opening number, she shouted out to the audience, “I want to thank my best friend, Margie, for coming tonight. Please stand up. Let’s welcome her and her friend, Jeff.” The atmosphere warmed up immediately and we suddenly belonged. What mattered more to me was that Mary was proud of our friendship."

I don't think Mary was doing side project solo gigs while she was in the Supremes. This had to be years later.

I recall reading an interview of Cindy Birdsong when she talked about how when she joined the Supremes Mary worked hard on her to be on her side and not side with Diana. Maybe Mary did the same with Margie when they became friends and that impacted Margie's attitude about Diana? From all I've read, I don't think much of a friendship existed between Mary and Diana by the DRATS years with hurts and resentments on both sides.

The story about driving out to Westbury Music Fair from NYC is silly and petty. But the one about their last interaction in Vegas after the Farewell show certainly brings to mind, yet again, Maya Angelou's famous observation about never forgetting how another person makes you feel. Diana Ross has only herself to blame for that as there are too many stories from people about their negative interactions with her. So while on one hand it's silly and petty to dredge up something from over 50 years ago, on the other hand, Margie never forgot it either. And there are many others, seemingly, who still hold on to how Diana Ross made them feel, or tried to make them feel, badly about themselves.

"One night, my friend Jeffrey and I went to see her in a solo gig at the Apollo. I had never been to the Apollo and I’m sure it was obvious to the rest of the audience as we were the only Caucasians in a packed house of her fans. We experienced more than a few stares, as if we had walked into the wrong club.
    Mary must have noticed the tension in the air. After her opening number, she shouted out to the audience, “I want to thank my best friend, Margie, for coming tonight. Please stand up. Let’s welcome her and her friend, Jeff.” The atmosphere warmed up immediately and we suddenly belonged. What mattered more to me was that Mary was proud of our friendship."

I don't think Mary was doing side project solo gigs while she was in the Supremes. This had to be years later.
    That's why I wanted more info.

I wasn't aware of any solo Mary gigs in the 60s or early 70s but I don't assume that I know everything. Margie's mention of the gig came during the 60s part of her article so that's why it stuck out to me. Plus Margie's comment that she and her friend were the only white people in the theater struck me as strange as every time I have been at the Apollo, the audience was made up of all colors. I would think that would be the case for any Supremes-related engagement, no matter the venue.
    Last edited by reese; 03-09-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Queen Supreme forever.
    Apparently there is more Mary stuff coming along. Perhaps an EE Walk the Line is a possibility. I'm hoping for cleaned up and mixed releases of the demos Mary did for Atlantic. I really like them.

Too many stories about Diana Ross's nasty attitude and shenanigans are floating around. Could they all be lying? Maybe. Is that probable? I doubt it. I believe many of the stories and conclude that at one time in her life- quite possibly for a long stretch of it- Diana Ross had a nastier than normal side to herself. So I don't discount Margie's side of the story, although Carlos is spot on that it is indeed Margie's side of the story. Perhaps Diana was nasty to Margie because of something Margie said or did upon their first meeting. That happens sometimes and the person may never be aware of their offense. [[Or they conveniently forget the offense and focus on the reaction.) But putting that mess inside a tribute to Mary is disgusting from my point of view. I have to believe that at this point in time Diana is far removed from someone who would ever respond to "It's nice to see you" with "Are you leaving? Good." There was no place for that in what was an otherwise beautiful tribute.

Diana made enemies over the years. Guess what, so did Mary. And so did Florence. And Cindy. And Jean. And Lynda. And Scherrie. And Susaye. Hell, even Barbara. And don't get me started on Shantell.

None of them were/are perfect.

Diana made enemies over the years. Guess what, so did Mary. And so did Florence. And Cindy. And Jean. And Lynda. And Scherrie. And Susaye. Hell, even Barbara. And don't get me started on Shantell.

Well said, RanRan. I agree with your entire post, but I wanted to particularly address this part...since you made mention of our dear Supreme, Dr. Reverend Shantel Baker, PhD in BBQ, first lady of Motown. She has given many legendary performances at parking lot BBQ's and due to these unforgettable contributions to the live arts and BBQ farts, she was recently bestowed an honourary PhD in grease and glamour. I look forward to attending her upcoming show, which will be part of a ribbon cutting celebration for the opening of a Wendy's.

More seriously...yes, bring on an expanded edition of Walk the Line, Clarity, etc etc

there are timeline issues with her memories. I’m sure she’s accurate about Ross, sounds like her sometimes back then. Flip Wilson did not create Geraldine at Mary’s house - she was already in the act when Mary and Margie met. No biggie, granted, but inaccurate nonetheless.

I don’t know if any Mary show at The Apollo. She did do some guest spots there sometimes.

Kind of get a varied picture of this event when you’re afforded a glimpse like this. Margie gives insight to very petty behavior, cruel actually, by Diana on a very big night that should have been about so many things and without that. Clearly the two did not like each other. Would like to know more about what would cause Diana to go out of her way to want to ruin the night for someone by saying such a thing to them.

Margie knows a lot considering all the times she and Mary shared.

Is this the missing book waiting to be written?

I recall another Cindy quote where she said that right after the Farewell show there was a fight backstage though she couldn't recall the details. She stated Mary left or didn't stay long at the after party. Maybe that was the fight--Diana being rude to Mary's friend?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That's why I wanted more info.

I wasn't aware of any solo Mary gigs in the 60s or early 70s but I don't assume that I know everything. Margie's mention of the gig came during the 60s part of her article so that's why it stuck out to me. Plus Margie's comment that she and her friend were the only white people in the theater struck me as strange as every time I have been at the Apollo, the audience was made up of all colors. I would think that would be the case for any Supremes-related engagement, no matter the venue.
    Article she wrote is rather haphazard in its organization. Before she discussed the Apollo she included the following:

Mary and I bonded quickly into what became a life-long friendship. Whenever she would come to New York City, I would take a train in from Long Island, where I lived with my parents, and stay at the Sherry-Netherland hotel with Mary.
    We shared many dinners in intimate conversations and countless laughs at our favorite place, Benihana, a Japanese restaurant on 56th street. It had just become popular and our tradition included getting the same chef, Mori San. He was not only entertaining, but gave us double portions of steak, which we would wash down with a couple of bottles of sake.

Way this is worded, she's now reminiscing about all the times Mary would come to NYC over the years, not just the late 60s/early 70s. So this Apollo show, whatever it was, occurred after Mary went solo. If she had done a solo side gig there while she was a Supreme surely that would have been discussed in one of her books or by the fans?

Article she wrote is rather haphazard in its organization. Before she discussed the Apollo she included the following:

Mary and I bonded quickly into what became a life-long friendship. Whenever she would come to New York City, I would take a train in from Long Island, where I lived with my parents, and stay at the Sherry-Netherland hotel with Mary.
    We shared many dinners in intimate conversations and countless laughs at our favorite place, Benihana, a Japanese restaurant on 56th street. It had just become popular and our tradition included getting the same chef, Mori San. He was not only entertaining, but gave us double portions of steak, which we would wash down with a couple of bottles of sake.

Way this is worded, she's now reminiscing about all the times Mary would come to NYC over the years, not just the late 60s/early 70s. So this Apollo show, whatever it was, occurred after Mary went solo. If she had done a solo side gig there while she was a Supreme surely that would have been discussed in one of her books or by the fans?
    Mary performed at a tribute to Pearl Bailey at The Apollo, I’m certain if she headed a gig there, I’d have known about it.

Maybe this was the Apollo show Margie Haber was referring to?

https://www.harlemworldmagazine.com/...apollo-harlem/

Too many stories about Diana Ross's nasty attitude and shenanigans are floating around. Could they all be lying? Maybe. Is that probable? I doubt it. I believe many of the stories and conclude that at one time in her life- quite possibly for a long stretch of it- Diana Ross had a nastier than normal side to herself. So I don't discount Margie's side of the story, although Carlos is spot on that it is indeed Margie's side of the story. Perhaps Diana was nasty to Margie because of something Margie said or did upon their first meeting. That happens sometimes and the person may never be aware of their offense. [[Or they conveniently forget the offense and focus on the reaction.) But putting that mess inside a tribute to Mary is disgusting from my point of view. I have to believe that at this point in time Diana is far removed from someone who would ever respond to "It's nice to see you" with "Are you leaving? Good." There was no place for that in what was an otherwise beautiful tribute.

None of them was perfect BUT BUT BUT they were young. None of us are perfect but we all mellow with age and in my case Gods guidance.

Fondly,

Roberta

The story about driving out to Westbury Music Fair from NYC is silly and petty. But the one about their last interaction in Vegas after the Farewell show certainly brings to mind, yet again, Maya Angelou's famous observation about never forgetting how another person makes you feel. Diana Ross has only herself to blame for that as there are too many stories from people about their negative interactions with her. So while on one hand it's silly and petty to dredge up something from over 50 years ago, on the other hand, Margie never forgot it either. And there are many others, seemingly, who still hold on to how Diana Ross made them feel, or tried to make them feel, badly about themselves.
    I think that very true SL.

And don't get me started on Shantell.
    Nope.
    You're started.
    I GOTTA hear those stories.
    Spill it, RanTony...

I recall another Cindy quote where she said that right after the Farewell show there was a fight backstage though she couldn't recall the details. She stated Mary left or didn't stay long at the after party. Maybe that was the fight--Diana being rude to Mary's friend?
    very interesting.

This was too big a night with too much going on for Diana to get derailed with the distraction of using this occasion as an opportunity to be mean to someone, just for the sake of being mean. This had to have purpose.
    So what was going on...? What prompted Diana to address Margie this way?

I'm imagining perhaps this:
    This is the Supremes final show and an overload of people from the industry, family, those involved in their shows, connections from all angles, all wanting to offer their support and share this moment in the limited space back stage. Maybe it was decided by the three of them who they would allow back there with them amid all the excitement to keep it functional and in order to avoid chaos. Obviously it would be a flood of people if everyone who wanted in, was allowed to. And for every person in, it would mean someone else therefore was not. Perhaps it was agreed to try to keep the count limited to just relevant people of their performances and careers, those that deserved this last chance at a goodbye.

Perhaps Diana was flabbergasted then, that there was Margie, basically an outsider, strolling around in the restrictive quarters, taking up oxygen.

Perhaps it had been agreed that these type of friends and relations would not be permitted back stage, but would instead be welcomed at the later party. Perhaps, specific people, brothers , cousins, peripheral friends, including Margie herself , were mentioned as needing to stay clear. Perhaps each had stuck to this agreement even though it meant denying certain people that each would've liked to be there.

Perhaps that's why a flabbergasted Diana when approached by Margie as if everything were hunky dory, asked her point blank if she were leaving and if so "good".

Perhaps.

we all have people that just rub us the wrong way. it's not that the person is bad or overly obnoxious. just that personalities don't mess. that could be the situation here

it could be jealousy as someone mentioned - mary was once close to Diana but now they're not anymore.

if could be that Margie was a more aggressive, direct, Type A personality. Mary certainly has had a few of those in her life so maybe that's a personality type mary is attracted to. but two Type A's might not get along well

as for the Farewell episode, there was SO much going on, of which we all probably know about 1% of. for years, the vast majority of the recording output was being handled exclusively by Diana. and that probably increased as they explored and tried out new sounds and concepts. she was preparing a whole new solo show all the while she was still leading the DRATS shows. there was the very complex relationship with Berry at this time - an unforgiving task master, a mentor, a lover.

and she was 25 years old

this is a massive amount of strain and stress for a person to endure. we all know of her and all of the Supremes' petty diva attitudes at times. it isn't a real wonder then that if someone was around that shared a mutual disinterest or dislike, that she'd be snippy

Yes in agreement with all of that.

I’m pondering the exact exchange as presented. Why ask someone if they were leaving and if told yes , answer “good” unless that person wasn’t really supposed to be there in the first place and Diana is trying to clear the riff raff if you will.
    I’m trying to give Diana an out other than she’s just a mean spirited jealous b*#+ [bully]

added:
    especially on an occasion like this ., she just can’t help herself ?

once Margie confirmed she was leaving , a sensible answer by Diana would be to think “good“ to herself and then say out loud “thank you for coming”, unless she really wanted to affirm how glad she was Margie was now leaving, which ended having to make any further fuss about it. More of a “that’s fine “ line of thinking .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-11-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Margie wasn’t just some casual friend. On the contrary, she was obviously someone that even then Mary felt extremely close to who’s friendshiip lasted a lifetime. They were there for each other throughout their lives in good times and in bad.
    The exchange of words was probably just a personality clash, with Diana feeling left out. Mary did after all once say. “the thing about Diane is that she wants everything for herself”. Perhaps Margie was another one of those somethings lol.

Now I reread that part.
    Diana doesn’t say “good “ she says “I’m glad”.... close to the same thing, with a little more personal, first person tinge.

that’s a tad bit harder comment to defend
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-11-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Yes Ollie that would play out that way, their lifetime friendship.
    At the time though that wouldn’t be known they were somewhat recent buddies. And I could see how Diana could find her presence in the middle of all this annoying.

I just don’t see Diana having room for feeling left out by Margie’s being there. The night was all about diana on overload. The nights fuss was about her. Margie was more like an annoying fly on the wall

Man you guys really read a lot into almost nothing. Even Berry referred to DR's "artistic temperament." As a person who was literally shoved out of the way by DR back in the 80's, I've seen that side of her--but who cares? Her "temperament" makes her fascinating. Most of this article by Margie is extremely complimentary.

guilty as charged. lol!

nice to see you here Bobby C!!! getting shoved aside by Diana Ross? Impressive , but I bet hundreds could tell the same story...lol!

Good stuff from Margie for sure, I've already said her's is the book I'm waiting for !!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    guilty as charged. lol!

nice to see you here Bobby C!!! getting shoved aside by Diana Ross? Impressive , but I bet hundreds could tell the same story...lol!

Good stuff from Margie for sure, I've already said her's is the book I'm waiting for !!
    Hold up with that book, i wanna see the motion picture.

Hold up with that book, i wanna see the motion picture.

starring Will Smith somehow for sure!

hee haw!