[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Copa '66 setlist

Does anyone have an idea of what the setlist was for their 1966 Copa appearance or if any shows were recorded? I'm a fan of the live recordings so I think it'd be interesting to hear how the show was compared to the '65 and '67 shows. I seem to recall reading someone who was there that they were surprised that My World Is Empty wasn't in the act considering it had been out for a couple months by that point. Didn't they also do Fancy Passes?

I had the same question a couple of years ago and was told that those shows were not recorded and their set list had not changed much from their first time there in '65.

they played the Copa in early March 66. My World was their most current single and IHAS album had only recently been released.

they typically did 4 - 6 of their hits. and I'm not really aware of any major new production numbers, at least based on what we've seen from their tv appearances.

here's my guess at the set:

Put on a happy face
    baby love
    stop
    come see
    Symphony
    My World is empty
    Make someone happy
    rockabye
    queen of the house
    somewhere
    sam cooke medley
    you're nobody

I'd guess that Tonight, Enjoy Yourself, Boy from Ipanema and I Am Woman would have been dropped.

It's possible From This Moment On was still in. and a big question would be when did they first add the Symphony medley? and when was More added?

Not to make any excuse but the girls were so busy and the dates were so frequent that there was no time for any new reversals or songs. They were really being worked like work horses.

Is it an urban myth or did drats play the copa after flo left ? Didn't J Randy write that the owner forced Berry's hand over Flo ?

They did the Copa in 68
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Is it an urban myth or did drats play the copa after flo left ? Didn't J Randy write that the owner forced Berry's hand over Flo ?

According to J. Randy, Gordy was going to pull Flo out of the 1966 engagement but Jules Podell objected. I believe this has since been debunked by Shelly Berger.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Does anyone have an idea of what the setlist was for their 1966 Copa appearance or if any shows were recorded? I'm a fan of the live recordings so I think it'd be interesting to hear how the show was compared to the '65 and '67 shows. I seem to recall reading someone who was there that they were surprised that My World Is Empty wasn't in the act considering it had been out for a couple months by that point. Didn't they also do Fancy Passes?
    I saw The Supremes on February 12, 1966 at Brandeis University near Boston, Massachusetts. The set list was the same as The Copa album, more or less. As a 16 year-old I was surprised that they would perform a nightclub act for a teenage audience at a university!

I don't recall if they sang WDOLG or NBH but I distinctly remember they didn't sing their latest release My World Is Empty Without You, which was in its fifth week on the Billboard charts. It was disappointing but I rationalized that because it was new they hadn't prepared the song for their shows.

It's surprising that they didn't even have the song ready by the time they got to the Copa the following month. I know I have a review of their Copa show in my memorabilia. I'll have to check to see if it mentions My World.

However through the years I saw this was a pattern. In March 1968 they didn't perform Forever Came Today when I saw them. In their defense it was only out a week or two.

Discussions on this forum have often included musings that if they had appeared on TV to promote this or that single it might have charted better. One would think that it would make the most sense of having a song ready for their concerts at the time of release, especially since they were doing many one-night shows catering to record-buying teenage audiences, as well as their week-long supper club engagements.

In 1969 I don't recall they performed any of their single releases from that year. I saw them about four times. Neither did they introduce, preview, or even mention, the soon to be released Someday We'll Be Together when I saw them two weeks before it was released.

This occurred throughout the 70s with Diana's releases. I was surprised when I saw Diana Ross a month before The Boss album's release that there was never a hint or mention of the upcoming single or album. Not even a picture or a title - nothing! Surprisingly, when I saw her at Radio City in the Fall of 1978 she sang a song from the Ross 78 album that was never even a single.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I saw The Supremes on February 12, 1966 at Brandeis University near Boston, Massachusetts. The set list was the same as The Copa album, more or less. As a 16 year-old I was surprised that they would perform a nightclub act for a teenage audience at a university!

I don't recall if they sang WDOLG or NBH but I distinctly remember they didn't sing their latest release My World Is Empty Without You, which was in its fifth week on the Billboard charts. It was disappointing but I rationalized that because it was new they hadn't prepared the song for their shows.

It's surprising that they didn't even have the song ready by the time they got to the Copa the following month. I know I have a review of their Copa show in my memorabilia. I'll have to check to see if it mentions My World.

However through the years I saw this was a pattern. In March 1968 they didn't perform Forever Came Today when I saw them. In their defense it was only out a week or two.

Discussions on this forum have often included musings that if they had appeared on TV to promote this or that single it might have charted better. One would think that it would make the most sense of having a song ready for their concerts at the time of release, especially since they were doing many one-night shows catering to record-buying teenage audiences, as well as their week-long supper club engagements.

In 1969 I don't recall they performed any of their single releases from that year. I saw them about four times. Neither did they introduce, preview, or even mention, the soon to be released Someday We'll Be Together when I saw them two weeks before it was released.

This occurred throughout the 70s with Diana's releases. I was surprised when I saw Diana Ross a month before The Boss album's release that there was never a hint or mention of the upcoming single or album. Not even a picture or a title - nothing! Surprisingly, when I saw her at Radio City in the Fall of 1978 she sang a song from the Ross 78 album that was never even a single.
    great memories!! thanks so much for sharing

would love to hear more. what dates you saw them and where [[i'll add to my Itinerary spreadsheet lol), what did they wear, other songs they performed

did you ever see the 70s Sups live?

I'm interested in hearing more about the 1966 show! Do you remember which of their hits they did perform? Anything particularly exciting about the show that you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    According to J. Randy, Gordy was going to pull Flo out of the 1966 engagement but Jules Podell objected. I believe this has since been debunked by Shelly Berger.
    The story went that Marlene was filling in for Flo before the '66 Copa date because she was sick but I think it was actually the '65 Copa gig when this was happening as we've seen pictures of Marlene on stage with Diana and Mary in July of 1965. I wonder if this was confused with the 1966 appearance. Shelley Berger would not have known about the 1965 incidents as he was not yet their manager.

Also I believe a tour in Europe was cancelled before the 1966 Copa date due to Flo being sick.

Marlene subbed for flo on a few occasions. there are pics of her onstage with M and D at the Grosse Point Country Club. the girls were hired to perform at a debutant ball [[wow - some rich parents! lol) This was after the Copa 65 gig. not sure of exact date

the story of Jules insisting Flo be on stage would have been the March 66 appearance

The story went that Marlene was filling in for Flo before the '66 Copa date because she was sick but I think it was actually the '65 Copa gig when this was happening as we've seen pictures of Marlene on stage with Diana and Mary in July of 1965. I wonder if this was confused with the 1966 appearance. Shelley Berger would not have known about the 1965 incidents as he was not yet their manager.

Also I believe a tour in Europe was cancelled before the 1966 Copa date due to Flo being sick.
    I think there might be confusion about Marlene's 1965 and 1966 times subbing for Flo, especially when I see what they were wearing in photos from the Grosse Point date.

That said, Berger was interviewed in Mark Ribowsky's book on the Supremes. Ribowsky repeated J. Randy' story about Jules Podell refusing to allow the group to appear without Flo for their 1966 Copa date. Berger said it wasn't true and that Berry didn't have to run anything by Podell. Berger even mentioned that he was very close to Podell and had known him for years, and that he wouldn't have cared if one of the backup vocalists didn't appear.

My understanding is that this happened in 1967. When Flo was temporarily suspended from the Supremes and Cindy B. was brought in as a replacement for their Hollywood Bowl appearance in April, the Supremes were scheduled to play the Copa that May. And the story was that Jules Podell insisted that the original three Supremes perform and Florence was brought back in the group and stated until July before finally leaving.

Ribowsky's book also claims that a Copa show was filmed and shown on tv surely that is a research error

Ribowsky's book also claims that a Copa show was filmed and shown on tv surely that is a research error
    I wouldn't bet my life on any of Ribowsky's books. They are full of errors. I was just giving the source of where Berger was quoted as saying the story about Podell making Berry retain Flo for the 1966 Copa date was untrue.

I wouldn't bet my life on any of Ribowsky's books. They are full of errors. I was just giving the source of where Berger was quoted as saying the story about Podell making Berry retain Flo for the 1966 Copa date was untrue.
    It's a shame the book has a few errors I enjoyed it for the most part..I'm fascinated by the pre fame days and the sheer number of live dates and background vocals the ladies worked on for the most part are not documented so much

I'm interested in hearing more about the 1966 show! Do you remember which of their hits they did perform? Anything particularly exciting about the show that you remember?
    The show was exciting for me because it was my first time seeing them and in my hometown, no less. I was able to walk to the venue.

I have little recall of the show other than it was pretty much the Copa show. I just got that album for Christmas only about 6 weeks before, so I pretty much knew the show. If they sang any other songs, hits or standards, I don't remember. Maybe owning the album and playing it nonstop clouded my memory of the show that I actually saw.

What stood out for me, as I mentioned, is that they didn't sing My World, their latest single, and I don't think they sang WDOLG, which was my favorite. So I was disappointed that those songs were missing.

Another memory is that during Make Someone Happy their mikes cut-out. Diana, then Florence, hustled over to Mary's mike then Mary's went too but they continued singing. Not sure if the mikes came back on during the song or after the song. I remember they wore gold gowns. From pictures I saw years later it appears they were the gowns which were pictured on Sing HDH the following year.

It's weird how memory can be so hazy. Even after only a few years, or even months, never mind 56 years. I saw Beach Ball in the theater when it was released in 1965. For years afterward I would tell Supremes friends that the girls sang Beach Ball and Stop In The Name Of Love! Boy was I shocked when I saw the movie on TV in the 70s. How did I confuse Stop and Surfer Boy?

As I mentioned this show was 1966 in my suburban hometown. A couple of years ago Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce also performed in my hometown but unfortunately I was unaware and missed the show. Would have been nice to come full circle DMF to SSJ.

The show was exciting for me because it was my first time seeing them and in my hometown, no less. I was able to walk to the venue.

I have little recall of the show other than it was pretty much the Copa show. I just got that album for Christmas only about 6 weeks before, so I pretty much knew the show. If they sang any other songs, hits or standards, I don't remember. Maybe owning the album and playing it nonstop clouded my memory of the show that I actually saw.

What stood out for me, as I mentioned, is that they didn't sing My World, their latest single, and I don't think they sang WDOLG, which was my favorite. So I was disappointed that those songs were missing.

Another memory is that during Make Someone Happy their mikes cut-out. Diana, then Florence, hustled over to Mary's mike then Mary's went too but they continued singing. Not sure if the mikes came back on during the song or after the song. I remember they wore gold gowns. From pictures I saw years later it appears they were the gowns which were pictured on Sing HDH the following year.

It's weird how memory can be so hazy. Even after only a few years, or even months, never mind 56 years. I saw Beach Ball in the theater when it was released in 1965. For years afterward I would tell Supremes friends that the girls sang Beach Ball and Stop In The Name Of Love! Boy was I shocked when I saw the movie on TV in the 70s. How did I confuse Stop and Surfer Boy?

As I mentioned this show was 1966 in my suburban hometown. A couple of years ago Scherrie, Susaye and Joyce also performed in my hometown but unfortunately I was unaware and missed the show. Would have been nice to come full circle DMF to SSJ.
    Sounds like a great memory to have! So I'm assuming they performed Baby Love, Come See About Me and Back In My Arms Again?

And you're right about memory being hazy. For years I swore I saw the Supremes perform Baby Love on the Ed Sullivan Show wearing blue sequins but I eventually realized it was the You Can't Hurry Love performance lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    great memories!! thanks so much for sharing

would love to hear more. what dates you saw them and where [[i'll add to my Itinerary spreadsheet lol), what did they wear, other songs they performed

did you ever see the 70s Sups live?
    Not sure I can provide you with dates unless I go to my memorabilia in the attic. I try to avoid doing that. I still have items here in my den that should have gone back to the attic months ago.

To be honest, I often refer to Laurent's very helpful Diana Ross website for dates or to refresh my memory on other details. He is very thorough and accurate. As a matter of fact I just noticed he has pictures from my university when I saw them in 1969. His are B&W, mine are in color from the school publications. I'll have to look into that, at some point.

Yes I saw JMC in August 1970 at Harvard Stadium in Cambridge, MA. Also the summer of 1971 at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. No recall from either show.

I also saw MCS just after they regrouped, most likely 1975. Ironically they performed in Framingham, MA at a theater/disco that was once the Monticello supper club where Diana Ross made her solo debut in March 1970 when she was preparing her new act for Vegas. Unfortunately I never made it to that show since I was away at school.

I remember that when I was doing intensive researches for the Timeline [[60's part) of my website that I read reviews of the Copa 66 in newspapers archives. I noted that they performed
    - Let There Be love
    - Fancy Passes

... and, johnjeb, if ever you dare to go in your attic, I would love you to share some of your memorabilia to complete the website :-)

This is part of the IG exchange that I had with George Solomon back in 2019.Name:  IG.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  7.2 KB

Sorry that the print is so small, I'm not sure how to expand it.

what song from Ross did she do?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    what song from Ross did she do?
    Didn't she sing "To Love Again" in a big shoe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Maybe she did YOU WERE THE ONE. That was the song she performed when I saw her in April 1979.

Maybe she did YOU WERE THE ONE. That was the song she performed when I saw her in April 1979.
    Also "lovin' living giving" was performed live in this time period

Also "lovin' living giving" was performed live in this time period
    Yes, she sang that one as well at the show I attended. But it wasn't as big of a surprise since it had already been released on the TGIF soundtrack. But when she sang YOU WERE THE ONE, it was a real treat as I didn't know she did album tracks in concert.

Yes, she sang that one as well at the show I attended. But it wasn't as big of a surprise since it had already been released on the TGIF soundtrack. But when she sang YOU WERE THE ONE, it was a real treat as I didn't know she did album tracks in concert.
    That would be amazing to see Reese..imo she was at her vocal peak in this period..

That would be amazing to see Reese..imo she was at her vocal peak in this period..
    I also heard a bootleg where she did ALL NIGHT LOVER during one of the TOUR '79 shows as well.

I also heard a bootleg where she did ALL NIGHT LOVER during one of the TOUR '79 shows as well.
    I'm fascinated by Ross & Supremes bootlegs..one has circulated for years that includes a very early interview on The Tonight Show..I've always wanted to hear it

yes, I forgot! Plus You We’re The One and I think Lovin’Livin’Givin’

Reese, I think you are right. Since I don't remember the specific song at all, other than it being from Ross 78, I always assumed it was either YWTO or Never Say I Don't Love You. I don't think it was LL&G.

Someone mentioned All Night Lover. I wonder if on the 1978/79 tour she tried-out different songs. Too bad she didn't continue that throughout her career giving us one or two surprises at each performance. Usually when she came to the area I would see more than one show, so everything seems to be a blur.

Was that April 1979 show that you saw at the Boston Garden? I was there but don't remember a song from the Ross 78 album. As I said I saw her in NYC in 78 and was surprised she sang a non-single from that album so if she did the same in Boston a few months later I probably wasn't as surprised and didn't retain that memory.

it's interesting to see what content from her solo albums she did incorporate into her live shows:

DR 70
    Mountain
    Reach out
    Something on my mind

EIE
    I'm still waiting

Surrender
    Remember me
    Reach out [[at least in later years)
    not sure she ever did the title track live much. it was released when she was very preg and also working on Lady.

TMITM
    title track

Last Time
    title track
    Sleepin

DR 76
    Hangover
    Mahogany
    wonder if I thought It Took A Little Time ever made it in?

BIM
    All night lover
    too shy to say

Ross
    LLG
    You were the one
    To love again
    never say?

Boss
    title track
    its my house
    no one gets the prize
    i ain't been licked
    all for one

Reese, I think you are right. Since I don't remember the specific song at all, other than it being from Ross 78, I always assumed it was either YWTO or Never Say I Don't Love You. I don't think it was LL&G.

Someone mentioned All Night Lover. I wonder if on the 1978/79 tour she tried-out different songs. Too bad she didn't continue that throughout her career giving us one or two surprises at each performance. Usually when she came to the area I would see more than one show, so everything seems to be a blur.

Was that April 1979 show that you saw at the Boston Garden? I was there but don't remember a song from the Ross 78 album. As I said I saw her in NYC in 78 and was surprised she sang a non-single from that album so if she did the same in Boston a few months later I probably wasn't as surprised and didn't retain that memory.
    Yes, I did attend the Boston Garden show in 1979.

She sang a medley of LOVIN', LIVIN' & GIVIN' / LOVE HANGOVER and closed the show with a medley of YOU WERE THE ONE/AIN"T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH, at which point her dancers carried her back into the movie screen. After showing Diana on the endless staircase, they showed a huge blow-up of the ROSS '78 album cover. Later, this was changed to a huge blow-up of THE BOSS.

It is possible that she pulled out a few different songs while tinkering with the set list. I heard ALL NIGHT LOVER on a bootleg but I don't remember her doing it in Boston. I think if she had, I would have remembered it, as it would have been as much of a surprise as YOU WERE THE ONE.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it's interesting to see what content from her solo albums she did incorporate into her live shows:

DR 70
    Mountain
    Reach out
    Something on my mind

EIE
    I'm still waiting

Surrender
    Remember me
    Reach out [[at least in later years)
    not sure she ever did the title track live much. it was released when she was very preg and also working on Lady.

TMITM
    title track

Last Time
    title track
    Sleepin

DR 76
    Hangover
    Mahogany
    wonder if I thought It Took A Little Time ever made it in?

BIM
    All night lover
    too shy to say

Ross
    LLG
    You were the one
    To love again
    never say?

Boss
    title track
    its my house
    no one gets the prize
    i ain't been licked
    all for one
    From DIANA ROSS [1970], According to J. Randy, she also sang I WOULDN'T CHANGE THE MAN HE IS.

From BABY IT'S ME, she also did GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE.

From DIANA ROSS [1976], she also did ONE LOVE IN MY LIFETIME and SMILE.

I have heard that during the 1973 Caesar's Palace show she did Happy [[Love Theme From Lady Sings The Blues). If true, I would love to have that on an expanded Live at Caesar's Palace cd.

She also did [[ I love you) Call Me from EIE

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I have heard that during the 1973 Caesar's Palace show she did Happy [[Love Theme From Lady Sings The Blues). If true, I would love to have that on an expanded Live at Caesar's Palace cd.
    I'm sure someone has posted this before, but Ross did "Happy" also at a concert in Cannes in 1994, with composer Michel Legrand himself on the piano.

on expanded Sing HDH, there is a live set included from 66

never heard this 'beautiful.
    thank you for sharing this

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    on expanded Sing HDH, there is a live set included from 66
    Actually, on "Sing HDH: Expanded Edition," it includes the Copa set from May 1967. You may be confusing it with the September 1966 Roostertail set included on "I Hear A Symphony: EE."

I'm sure someone has posted this before, but Ross did "Happy" also at a concert in Cannes in 1994, with composer Michel Legrand himself on the piano.

Why didn't she record this or is it unreleased

Her voice sounds really strained and uncomfortable here. If a recording does exist, which i very much doubt it would be interesting to compare the two.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Why didn't she record this or is it unreleased
    A live version was recorded during the engagement that became the LIVE AT CAESARS PALACE album but it wasn't included. I don't know if she did a studio version.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Her voice sounds really strained and uncomfortable here. If a recording does exist, which i very much doubt it would be interesting to compare the two.
    It is probably not a song she does that often. I think she sounds fine but I would have dropped the key.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I would love an expanded LaCP as well. A 'minor' album for Diana but one that I played endlessly at the time and still love whenever I give it a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I would love an expanded LaCP as well. A 'minor' album for Diana but one that I played endlessly at the time and still love whenever I give it a spin.
    I've always adored " Corner of the sky " from this album

It is probably not a song she does that often. I think she sounds fine but I would have dropped the key.
    Agree, the key is just to high which is why she ends up straining to hit the notes. Not terrible, just sounds like hard work. It would be interesting to hear the live 73 version.
    I remember reading there exists in the vaults a recording of the Caesars Palace concert offering much better sound quality.
    As “Reflections” appears to be on hold, i’m guessing an expanded release is not scheduled anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Agree, the key is just to high which is why she ends up straining to hit the notes. Not terrible, just sounds like hard work. It would be interesting to hear the live 73 version.
    I remember reading there exists in the vaults a recording of the Caesars Palace concert offering much better sound quality.
    As “Reflections” appears to be on hold, i’m guessing an expanded release is not scheduled anytime soon.
    I found the cd that they released of it back in the 90s sounds much better than the vinyl that I bought. To my ears, there are no alternate vocals but the mix is better, some of the applause might be different, and there's a few "Thank You" s that aren't on my vinyl.

I found the cd that they released of it back in the 90s sounds much better than the vinyl that I bought. To my ears, there are no alternate vocals but the mix is better, some of the applause might be different, and there's a few "Thank You" s that aren't on my vinyl.
    Apparently there exists a far superior mix that has yet to see the light of day. I played it to death at the time, but the sound quality on the original album always did sound rather tinny.
    The fact it was originally planned as a double album, means there be quite a few extra songs that were edited out when it was whittled down to a single album release.