[REMOVE ADS]

US PBS TV channel launches in UK

The US 'public' television channel PBS launched in the UK yesterday, with a schedule based on its US programming, but in a line-up for the UK. It's on Sky 166 and Virgin cable 243. I'm hoping we'll get some of those great reunion concerts and music shows that appear in the US! At present, the only music related show I can see is the Martin Scorsese Blues documentary series.

As pleased and intrigued as I am by the launch I'm slightly puzzled as to why they're doing it. I'm aware that PBS in the US doesn't take commercials and looks for funding, often asking viewers to donate money in subscription marathons etc. In the UK the channel will be 'commercial', taking ads. In all honesty I can't see the channel getting too many viewers, so I don't imagine that there will be enough profit from the ads anyway, let alone enough to help co-fund the US operation. Anyhow, it's worth keeping an eye on! The PBS website and schedule is at www.pbs.co.uk.

...thanks Alan ...I caught an interesting documentary series on US Prohibition on its first night...!

Cheers I'll have a look at that channel when I get home, TV in the UK crap right now.