[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I read it this weekend, my daughter was a finalist for Miss Maryland, She made it to the second round which had 21 hopefuls, so there was hanging out at the airport, a short flight, etc. in which I was able to read without interuption.

When I read a book like this, I like to devour it as a man who had been deprived of food. Which I did, and Oh My Goodness, it reminded me of the Stuart Cosgrove books of Detroit 1967, Memphis 1968, and
    New York 1969. Very well written, and incredibly. comprehensive, and witty as heck. As I would expect from someone from across the pond.

So when I read it again, I will be armed with a highlighter to look into the Invictus era product that I may not have heard. Also all of those Edith Wayne songs have been updated to have HDH listed as the writers of those songs

As far as the Motown years, seeing where there were folks that crossed paths with HDH there, that got together with them during the Invictus years was interesting to me as well.

The listing of all of the songs in alphabetical order is worth the price of the book to me. In closing, I found it very hard to put down, and there is the bonus of the artwork from the author.

Congrats on your daughter’s success!

Thank you Circa 1824, that is very kind of you. When she sits for the Maryland Bar Exam in February, she can reference that, and having made it to the second round of both The Voice and American Idol the same year as perhaps a first for a Lawyer Candidate. LOL.

I just wanted to say that, It's A Good Feeling by HDH and recorded by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, is in my top 5 Motown songs period! In my mind, I remember that even as an album cut, it was huge in Philly! Also that it was the only known song collaboration of Smokey Robinson and HDH. Talk about your dream team of writers! In this book, the writers are listed as HDH only. I just checked Don't Forget The Motor City, and the writers are listed as HDH, and Robinson. To be fair, I cannot remember if in the 2 recent books by The Holland Brothers and Lamont Dozier how the credit for writing the song was listed. In My Humble Opinion, there were a total of 5 inaccuracies in the book that in no way mar an excellent addition to my Motown Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    Thank you Circa 1824, that is very kind of you. When she sits for the Maryland Bar Exam in February, she can reference that, and having made it to the second round of both The Voice and American Idol the same year as perhaps a first for a Lawyer Candidate. LOL.

I just wanted to say that, It's A Good Feeling by HDH and recorded by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, is in my top 5 Motown songs period! In my mind, I remember that even as an album cut, it was huge in Philly! Also that it was the only known song collaboration of Smokey Robinson and HDH. Talk about your dream team of writers! In this book, the writers are listed as HDH only. I just checked Don't Forget The Motor City, and the writers are listed as HDH, and Robinson. To be fair, I cannot remember if in the 2 recent books by The Holland Brothers and Lamont Dozier how the credit for writing the song was listed. In My Humble Opinion, there were a total of 5 inaccuracies in the book that in no way mar an excellent addition to my Motown Library.
    Motown4ever, HDH also produced The Miracles' "[[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need" 45 [[on album "Away We A Go Go").

Yes, Phillies/Motown Gary, Smokey is my favorite composer this side of Hector Berlioz, however, I think having a little HDH in his life benefited the group by having a different approach. Kind of like Mickeys Monkey, and I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying did previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    Yes, Phillies/Motown Gary, Smokey is my favorite composer this side of Hector Berlioz, however, I think having a little HDH in his life benefited the group by having a different approach. Kind of like Mickeys Monkey, and I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying did previously.
    You're right, Motown4ever -- "Mickey's Monkey" and "I've Gotta Dance...." were indeed HDH productions, too. I had forgotten to include those. BTW, you say you're a Berlioz fan? Me, too! I love his "Requiem". The version of his masterpiece on Telarc by Robert Shaw & The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus is among my favorites in my extensive Choral CD collection. It clearly earned every point of its perfect PERFORMANCE - 10; SOUND QUALITY - 10 rating!