[REMOVE ADS]

Re-Visiting a Classic: O'Jays "Family Reunion" album

Back in the day, I couldn't O'Jays albums fast enough. A quick jog to the record store and back to see what was next from the terrific trio was a weekly activity when I was a young kid.

I gotta admit, after picking up previous O'Jays discs, particularly my favorite "Backstabbers" [[perhaps my favorite all-time album along with Spinners 1973 album), I looked at the song lineup and scoffed: "Huh, just seven songs? C'mon fellas, I want more!"

Well, I got more, as in fabulous long, extended songs that showed the group was still at its peak. There's a reason this 1975 album sold more than a million albums, it's simply a fabulous disc. Here we go:

Unity: A good upbeat tune to start off the album. Not a classic tune, but G & H's message music starts off on the right note.

Family Reunion: Title track is outstanding. I like everything about it, the great MFSB instrumentation to Eddie's long talk about the family late in the song. I flat out love this song.

You and Me: Nice album track that is somewhat hidden in the group's fabulous catalog. A nice album ballad.

She's Only a Woman: Like You and Me, another lost album track, but I like this one better. I think it's outstanding. The always rotating Walter and Eddie vocals make this a fabulous song.

Livin' for the Weekend: OK, one of my favorite all-time tunes by any group. The O'Jays wisely open their concerts today with this song, Walter walking on the stage with his hat and the slow lead-in vocals. It picks up tremendously, and what a fun tune, dissing on work, gonna take off early and a "cut in pay." Don't dismiss the slow drag ending, too, where they go back to the bluesy style signifying the return to the "J-O-B" on Monday. But Eddie notes that they'll be back the next weekend partying. Just a great, great song. Unfortunately, some of these compilations [[one I have) cut this great song in half, eliminating some of the intro and all of the outro. Just buy this album and you don't have to put up with that bad editing.

Stairway to Heaven: An epic ballad, better than the other "Stairway" by Led Zepplin, which I don't like. This one is great, a true, deep passionate love song. Mr. Levert at his best.

I Love Music: There's a reason this song sold a zillion copies, it's so damn good. A honor to all types of music and the joy of playing and listening to music. I thought Bobbi Eli played the guitar solo on this track, so I asked him on this board. He told me it was Norman Harris and what a fabulous solo it is. Oh yeah, I love that solo, it really adds to the track.

* I have the CD with the additional "I Love Music" remix by Tom Moulton, which is great, about 3 minutes longer, guitar solo intact. A nice re-mix, thanks Tom.

If you have this album, dust it off and put it on the turntable; or in your CD player, IPod, whatever. To me it stacks up as one of the all-time great soul albums.

I LOVE this album too. one of my all time favs.....Paulo xxx

Dead on point Tsull.....great retrospective review....its one of my Favorite Ojay's albums as well. This was one of G & H's perfect albums, like Motown in its hey day, they created an album of vocals and orchestration that would stand the test of time.

We got it around Christmas Season 1975. One of the Best Albums of the 70's in my opinion!

Hi Tsull,

For me this is the best O'Jays album; simply magnificent. She's Only A Woman and Stairway To Heaven are the cream cuts.

Best regards
    Heikki

I love this great album as well but I do find the rap on Family reunion to be dreadfully patronising and reactionary.

I guess i'm the only one who prefers "Survival" and "Backstabbers" more.

That album, this album is one of those very rare collections that frames a specific time in your life. The music it contains brings up some very vivid memories for me personally and they are all good! I haven't listened to it in quite some time, but this thread has given me the idea that maybe I should.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Soulster, I've said it before: We must have been seperated at birth. I'm tired of Stairway to Heaven, Family Reunion and I Love Music, three tracks that are over exposed for me. I was knocked out by this O'Jays LP. It's just OK, but not essential.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 05-03-2011 at 09:51 AM.

I agree that the tracks mentioned were certainly played to death but the construct and content of the album itself is exceptional and shouldn't detract from one's enjoyment of an exceptional performance.

this album is one of those very rare collections that frames a specific time in your life
    Exactly Marv.....exactly......

I love this great album as well but I do find the rap on Family reunion to be dreadfully patronising and reactionary.
    Then you better not listen to Jill Scotts version of this similar process, both told stories that are as familiar as a comfortable chair..........

I prefer "Backstabbers" which to me is one of the finest albums ever produced in any genre. "Survival" is up there for me but I think "Family Reunion" trumps it.

My favorites from the Canton, Ohio, gang are:
    1. Backstabbers
    2. Family Reunion
    3. Ship Ahoy
    4. Survival
    5. O'Jays in Philadelphia [[which I realize is a compilation of earlier material)

I also love Eddie's talk [[not rap), he wasn't trying to rhyme or be a bad-a$$, just talking straight.

I wish they made albums like these today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Soulster, I've said it before: We must have been seperated at birth. I'm tired of Stairway to Heaven, Family Reunion and I Love Music, three tracks that are over exposed for me. I was knocked out by this O'Jays LP. It's just OK, but not essential.
    I also should have added "Ship Ahoy".

I felt that "Family Reunion" was the PIR team getting soft.

I also should have added "Ship Ahoy".

I felt that "Family Reunion" was the PIR team getting soft.
    I agree. The Philly sound did get kind of disco/Easy listening-lite for a while from 1977 to about 1979.