[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't hear any resemblance between this and anything I've ever heard from the 5D. Their sound was completely different.

With the new Supremes was the goal was to keep the momentum of the first single. "Ladder" was great. "Everybody" just didn't cut it as a follow up. Motown was usually in the habit of attempting to follow up a big hit with a soundalike. So far as has been released, I don't think anything the ladies recorded sounded anything like "Ladder" except maybe...maybe..."Loving Country".

I can agree with passing over "Bill" in favor of something that doesn't sound like what the other groups were doing. But what song? I just don't see people running out to get "Everybody". At least with "Bill" it was relevant subject matter which resonated with the public. Maybe "Bill" wouldn't have been a number one- although with the changes I suggest, who knows- but I think it definitely would've been a top 10 cut. After that release "Stoned Love", whose impact surely wouldn't have been diminished by "Bill"'s success.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't hear any resemblance between this and anything I've ever heard from the 5D. Their sound was completely different.

With the new Supremes was the goal was to keep the momentum of the first single. "Ladder" was great. "Everybody" just didn't cut it as a follow up. Motown was usually in the habit of attempting to follow up a big hit with a soundalike. So far as has been released, I don't think anything the ladies recorded sounded anything like "Ladder" except maybe...maybe..."Loving Country".

I can agree with passing over "Bill" in favor of something that doesn't sound like what the other groups were doing. But what song? I just don't see people running out to get "Everybody". At least with "Bill" it was relevant subject matter which resonated with the public. Maybe "Bill" wouldn't have been a number one- although with the changes I suggest, who knows- but I think it definitely would've been a top 10 cut. After that release "Stoned Love", whose impact surely wouldn't have been diminished by "Bill"'s success.
    I think “Bill” as good a song as any to follow “UTLTTR”. Although ‘Right On’ is a solid album, there are not to many songs that scream hit single.
    As has been previously discussed before, a radically re-mixed “Everybody's Got The Right” is the best of few options. The song just needs more snap and oomph. Perhaps a shared lead with Mary might have lent the song a little more distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I think “Bill” as good a song as any to follow “UTLTTR”. Although ‘Right On’ is a solid album, there are not to many songs that scream hit single.
    As has been previously discussed before, a radically re-mixed “Everybody's Got The Right” is the best of few options. The song just needs more snap and oomph. Perhaps a shared lead with Mary might have lent the song a little more distinction.
    Now i happen to think nearly ever track had hit single potential. It's my absolute favourite 70's Supremes album, and in my top 5 of all era's.
    Personally i would have gone with an edit of Loving Country as the 2nd single, and then maybe Bill as the 3rd single assuming it had not been the B side to Ladder. It's an album that has brought me musical pleasure for several decades.
    Incidentally Ms Ross really rated this album. I was amazed that she could even name a couple of the tracks, which she could not do for a few of her own albums.
    Go figure.