[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Ha! Nope, wouldn't say that. ABC offered the lady a 50 grand-or was it 20 grand?- signing bonus. That was big money. Hard to tell someone to turn that down. With hindsight I figure that if she had gone somewhere more of a creative fit, she might not have gotten the most money upfront, but in the long run with hit singles and albums and concert dates, she would've made out better in the end. But again this is all hindsight.
    In her first book, Mary wrote that ABC paid Flo a $15,000 advance on a two-year contract.

I wonder if there were any other solo offers for Flo? I haven't read of any. It could have been interesting if say, Stax, Scepter, or Atlantic came to the table. But at each of those, she might have to step in line behind the other female singers they had on the roster. On the other hand, ABC did have r&b/soul success with Ray Charles, the Impressions, and B.B. King, so that combined with the $$ might have made Flo and Tommy sign with them.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In her first book, Mary wrote that ABC paid Flo a $15,000 advance on a two-year contract.

I wonder if there were any other solo offers for Flo? I haven't read of any. It could have been interesting if say, Stax, Scepter, or Atlantic came to the table. But at each of those, she might have to step in line behind the other female singers they had on the roster. On the other hand, ABC did have r&b/soul success with Ray Charles, the Impressions, and B.B. King, so that combined with the $$ might have made Flo and Tommy sign with them.
    15 grand, that sounds more familiar. I've always assumed that Flo went with the first label she and Tommy approached as I also have not read of any other labels being associated with her. Her contract with Motown was settled in February and within weeks, maybe days, she was signed to ABC. Doesn't sound like she had time to approach other labels. Bad fit or not, for someone most famous as one third of a trio who was mostly known for singing backup, to secure a solo deal so quickly, and with a major label, is some feat.

Would've loved to hear Flo paired with some stuff at Atlantic, but no woman had a real chance at Atlantic at this point as it was Queen Ree's house.

in regards to the terms of Flo's departure, i don't fault motown at all. Fans too often look at the terms of her exit from a sentimental POV. sorry folks - but it's business. Motown was looking after their own interests. Flo should have done the same.

there is no reason to assume that motown should simply turn over their intellectual property of the name "the supremes." Coca Cola certainly doesn't. McDonald's certainly doesn't. Look at all the digital and downloadable videos of tv show and movies that aren't free - that you have to subscribe them.

Motown was a record label that was in business to profit off of the sales and promotion of musical acts. in 1967 the name "The Supremes" was second maybe only to the name The Beatles in terms of value. To relinquish any ownership or usage of that name would be idiotic.

If Flo wanted to use the name she should have 1) stayed in the group or 2) negotiated it. she did neither so while unfortunate, it's perfectly reasonable.