[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    This is a labour of love by David Nathan who was a friend of Aretha for over 40 years. As regards the 4 albums you mentioned it was Aretha herself who was not happy with the way those albums turned out, and it was Aretha herself who voiced her objections to them being remastered for cd release. The estate are merely honouring her wishes, but having said all that money talks, so don't be too surprised if they do turn up as a boxset before too long......
    Yes, I was aware of Aretha’s displeasure at those 5 LPs, but hadn’t she almost reached a deal to re-release them in recent years and backed out at the last minute?
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-30-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yes, I was aware of Aretha’s displeasure at those 5 LPs, but hadn’t she almost reached a deal to re-release them in recent years and backed out at the last minute?
    Yes she did back out at the last moment, and that is the main reason why they have not been issued - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes she did back out at the last moment, and that is the main reason why they have not been issued - yet.
    Interesting, Mr. B. Would be [[somewhat ...) interesting to know why. No one is a bigger fan of the lady than I [[as big, sure, bigger? Nyet) but even I can say that Aretha's business instincts were a tad ... whatever. There was SUCH a rush of joy when the final Atlantic lps were to finally be released on Aretha's Records. Then ... nothing. 'Twas then, and ever shall be, in Aretha World!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Interesting, Mr. B. Would be [[somewhat ...) interesting to know why. No one is a bigger fan of the lady than I [[as big, sure, bigger? Nyet) but even I can say that Aretha's business instincts were a tad ... whatever. There was SUCH a rush of joy when the final Atlantic lps were to finally be released on Aretha's Records. Then ... nothing. 'Twas then, and ever shall be, in Aretha World!
    I remember reading an article that mentioned a deal had been made to release those final Atlantic lps, each with bonus tracks. Maybe Aretha didn't get the $$ she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember reading an article that mentioned a deal had been made to release those final Atlantic lps, each with bonus tracks. Maybe Aretha didn't get the $$ she wanted.
    That was the unstated reason behind the delayed release of the Amazing Grace video which had an injunction issued just prior to a premiere at the 2015 Telluride Film Festival. The legal basis for the injunction was that Ms Franklin did not consent for the film to use her name, image, or likeness. The judge held that the quitclaim deed, through which the rights to the footage shot by Sydney Pollack were transferred from Warner Bros to Allen Elliot, prohibited broadcasting of the footage without such consent from Ms Franklin. Mr Elliott synched the footage to the recordings.

In order to properly get an injunction Ms Franklin needed to show not only that she had a significant chance at succeeding in the lawsuit, but also that the broadcast of the film caused her irreparable harm that monetary damages would not adequately address.

After Mr Elliot received the rights to Pollack’s footage from Warner Bros. and attempted to premiere the film in 2011, Ms Franklin sued and the parties eventually settled.

https://blog.jipel.law.nyu.edu/2015/...amazing-grace/

If David Nathan has a stereo mix of My Song on this package, it truly is a rarity that has never appeared on CD. FM radio in NYC played a poorly mixed stereo version of the recording as a two-sided hit with See Saw.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    That was the unstated reason behind the delayed release of the Amazing Grace video which had an injunction issued just prior to a premiere at the 2015 Telluride Film Festival. The legal basis for the injunction was that Ms Franklin did not consent for the film to use her name, image, or likeness. The judge held that the quitclaim deed, through which the rights to the footage shot by Sydney Pollack were transferred from Warner Bros to Allen Elliot, prohibited broadcasting of the footage without such consent from Ms Franklin. Mr Elliott synched the footage to the recordings.

In order to properly get an injunction Ms Franklin needed to show not only that she had a significant chance at succeeding in the lawsuit, but also that the broadcast of the film caused her irreparable harm that monetary damages would not adequately address.

After Mr Elliot received the rights to Pollack’s footage from Warner Bros. and attempted to premiere the film in 2011, Ms Franklin sued and the parties eventually settled.

https://blog.jipel.law.nyu.edu/2015/...amazing-grace/

If David Nathan has a stereo mix of My Song on this package, it truly is a rarity that has never appeared on CD. FM radio in NYC played a poorly mixed stereo version of the recording as a two-sided hit with See Saw.
    I do believe there are around 19 tracks new to cd on this collection. There would have been more, but the dreaded licensing issues reared their ugly heads.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I would guess that $ is indeed the reason, Reese. I think that like many heritage artists Aretha did not have a realistic vision of the monetary value of her material. Sad for the fans, for sure.