[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I agree that Itchin was a bit more rough than some of the other Supremes "cutie pie" songs. It's a good song but i think it wasn't "special" enough when released in 66. A year earlier would have been better. By 1966, this sound just wasn't fresh enough. It's a very good representation of the earlier Motown sound along the lines of Sugar Pie, Back in my arms again, dancing in the street, nowhere to run, etc.

HDH started really pushing things to new levels in 66. You Keep Me Hangin On, Reach Out, Bernadette, I'm Ready For Love. They evolved the sound to keep it fresh

Itchin' was too "old school" in 66

and of course this is all relative. it's still an excellent dance track and went Top 10. just talking about varying degrees here
    Sorry to disagree but "I'm Ready For Love" sounds a lot more old school to me than "Itchin'".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Sorry to disagree but "I'm Ready For Love" sounds a lot more old school to me than "Itchin'".
    interesting. i see I'm Ready, Hanging On and Reach out as HDH pushing the envelop and working more with dramatic tension. of the 3 i agree that I'm Ready is more 'traditional motown' but it has such an interesting chorus. not typical at all IMO - the dynamic drops at the chorus, in a good. After these bigger verses, it suddenly falls to the chorus. You have the singer going into these big announcements of being ready for love, but then it's like she's second guessing herself a little at the chorus. very interesting IMO