[REMOVE ADS]

Impact Records question

Hey all. Not sure if this is too obscure of a question, but I was wondering if anyone knows who owns the rights to the old Detroit label Impact Records catalogue?

The label has been long-since disbanded, but those rights have to be floating around somewhere.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Harry Balk owns the publishing on Impact Records. A short while ago he was to sell the entire catalogue to a Europeon outfit and at the last minte, the sale fell through due to the realization that the vast number of songs in the catalogue were heavily bootlegged over the years rendering Harry's publishing nearly worthless. Harry took a major bath on this one and I will be discussing more of this soon.

I only remember the Shades of Blue and Edwin Starr on this label, although I am sure there were others.

There were others, Randy. Don and Juan and the Young Sisters come to mind.

This is the Impact discography on soulfulkindamusic

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/impact.htm

And a couple of tunes that made an Impact in England ..

NARBAY : "Believe It Or Not"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ekG0rRANQ

JOCK MITCHELL : "Not A Chance In A Million"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiwT...eature=related

Roger

honest man Guest
    wow ralph. don and juan as in WHAT I REALLY MEANT TO SAY ; In my all time top 20, cheers

Hey Ralph, thanks for the insight.

I wasn't aware that Harry was still around. Is there any chance you know of a way to contact him?

The reason I am asking is because I am a good friend of Jock Mitchell [[real name Jake Mitchell), who was interested in re-acquiring his catalogue from whomever owned the copyrights.

Any info is appreciated. You can send me a message here or feel free to email me at SpinningSoul[[at)Gmail.com.

Cheers.

SpinningSoul,
    I usually talk with Harry once a week or so. I put in a call and had to leave a message. If he approves my giving out his phone number, I will get it to you. Interesting prospect. It would be cool if things worked out for all involved.

Wonderful. Thanks so much. I had a feeling you or Dennis Coffey would have a line to him somehow.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again for the help so far.

spinningsoul

Have you asked Jock/Jake who owned Golden Hit Redcords - the label that put out his 'No Mad Woman' 45? Any info' on that would be great.

The song uses the track of an earlier release called 'King For a Day', which has Correctone roots.

TIA, Graham

Here are a couple of scans...
    Name:  aa aGolden Hit 1001a.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  26.9 KBName:  aa Golden Hit 101.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  16.3 KB

I forgot this one...
    Name:  aaaa Golden Hit 103.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  13.8 KB

Hey Graham,

Actually, Jake owned that label. If you look at the production label on most, if not all, the 45s, J. Mitchell is there. He did a lot of the leg work for the eight or nine Golden Hit releases. The publishing on all of the songs, Tine-De-Ar-Thelma Music is Jake's company also. He used his kid's shortened names in the company name.

One thing that's really cool, and very few people know... The one scan that you posted; James Barnes and the Agents - "Free At Last" is actually Jake on lead. He wrote the song and gave it to Barnes in hopes of grooming him and his band as his big attraction on the young label. Barnes couldn't get the song right, so Jake did it and still attributed it to Barnes. He later used the Agents on No Mad Woman... He also has a thing for the word "Fabulous." He's back to going by his Pre-Jock name "Little Jake" and his current band is "Little Jake and the Fabulous Soul Searchers."

If you listen to No Mad Woman, Not a Chance in a Million or any of his other songs, you can definitely tell that the Free At Last singer is him... Though it's a very different song that his other tunes.

Thanks for the note and for remembering Golden Hit. That stuff means a lot more to Jake that people know.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by acooolcat View Post
    spinningsoul

Have you asked Jock/Jake who owned Golden Hit Redcords - the label that put out his 'No Mad Woman' 45? Any info' on that would be great.

The song uses the track of an earlier release called 'King For a Day', which has Correctone roots.

TIA, Graham

Many thanks for these details, spinningsoul

You mention 8/9 releaess on Golden Hit, but I only know of four records on that label: Are you counting flip sides, too?

101 JAMES BARNES AND THE AGENTS

102 JAMES BARNES AND THE AGENTS / THE FUNKY FOUR PLUS THE AGENTS

103 JOCK MITCHELL WITH THE FABULOUS AGENT’S

1001 JOHNNY HARDTIME

Am I right in saying all these 45s date from 1968? The company 'Golden Hit Productions' is listed in the 1967 Yellow Pages, giving the address printed on the Johnny Hardtime 45 - 7555 Grand River. What was actually there - a studio or just a lock-up office?

I think "Free At Last" uses the same backing as The Reflections' song "Shabby Litle Hut" that came out on Golden World.

Also, "Good and Funky" uses the track of Andre Williams' "Loose Juice" [[Wingate label) that was also used by J.J. Barnes for "I Ain't Gonna Do It" [[Ric-Tic label).

So, it seems to me that someone had access to Golden World's vaults around the time Mr. Wingate sold the company to Motown. [["King for Day" was also a Wingate-funded track)

Thanks again, Graham

I'd have to look a little deeper into the Golden Hit catalogue. The releases you mention are the only ones I've ever been able to find, but Jake told me recently that there were eight 45s released. Maybe he has some unreleased stuff, I'm not sure. I'll look into it though.

It's funny you mention the 7555 address, I was talking about that building with Jake this evening before a gig he played. I brought the address up on google earth to show him what it looked like today. Not the same, to say the least.

He went into business with a young lady named Addie Strickland, a doctor's wife who took a an interest in Jake's music and wanted to help him along. They got that building [[the 7555 address) and built a small studio and had leftover room for a makeshift rehearsal hall and two offices [[one for each of them). Jake was married at the time to a lady named Rosa [[he owned two small nightclubs in Detroit around this time named "Jock Mitchell's Rose Room" - named after Rosa... Are they listed, by chance, in those yellow pages?). Jake and Rosa eventually divorced and the Golden Hit saga pretty much folded. Jake eventually bought out Addie's interest in the company, but wasn't able to release anything else. He technically still owns the name [[he's been diligent with all of his paperwork and legal stuff over the years) and is considering recording again under the name. I really hope he does, because - at age 66- his voice sounds as sharp as when he was 26.

As far as the connection with Golden World, you're right. The Shabby Little Shack track is the same as Free At Last. Jake told me not long ago that he had some sort of deal worked out with Ed Wingate to use the track. I'm not sure exactly what the deal entailed, but there were so many odd wink-wink back-room things happening in those times, it could be anything.

Eventually I'm going to get Jake to sit down with me and really let it all out. We've recorded several conversations already, but I plan to get much deeper.

Thanks again for your interest.

Many thanks for these details, spinningsoul

You mention 8/9 releaess on Golden Hit, but I only know of four records on that label: Are you counting flip sides, too?

101 JAMES BARNES AND THE AGENTS

102 JAMES BARNES AND THE AGENTS / THE FUNKY FOUR PLUS THE AGENTS

103 JOCK MITCHELL WITH THE FABULOUS AGENT’S

1001 JOHNNY HARDTIME

Am I right in saying all these 45s date from 1968? The company 'Golden Hit Productions' is listed in the 1967 Yellow Pages, giving the address printed on the Johnny Hardtime 45 - 7555 Grand River. What was actually there - a studio or just a lock-up office?

I think "Free At Last" uses the same backing as The Reflections' song "Shabby Litle Hut" that came out on Golden World.

Also, "Good and Funky" uses the track of Andre Williams' "Loose Juice" [[Wingate label) that was also used by J.J. Barnes for "I Ain't Gonna Do It" [[Ric-Tic label).

So, it seems to me that someone had access to Golden World's vaults around the time Mr. Wingate sold the company to Motown. [["King for Day" was also a Wingate-funded track)

Thanks again, Graham

Sounds like I need to get these when they are released..so I wish you good luck

Also in the 1967 Yellow Pages was a box advert for World Wide Promotions - with the same address on Grand River.

It states Jock Mitchell as President and Addie Strickland as VP.

Sorry - I don't have any pages for nightclubs, but have never seen an advert for the club you mention.

Did Rosa ever record?

Spinningsoul,
    I just spoke with Harry and he told me Jobette owns the copyrights.

Spinningsoul

Do you know if Jake was in a group prior to recording solo in 1967/8?

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Spinningsoul,
    I just spoke with Harry and he told me Jobette owns the copyrights.
    Ralph...Thanks so much again for all you've done. If Harry would ever be willing [[and if he remembers Jock Mitchell) I'd absolutely love to conduct a brief phone interview with him some time. By day, I'm a writer here at The Gainesville Sun in Florida and Jock [[real name Jake) is gaining a nice little following around town with his new band. I've wanted for quite some time to write his complete story, but I'd need more sources than just his word. Next time you're talking to Harry, if it crosses your mind, please float the idea by him.

Spinningsoul

Do you know if Jake was in a group prior to recording solo in 1967/8?

Graham
    Sure did. He performed [[but never recorded) with a group named the Skyliners [[this was before the well-known group by the same name) in Tampa, Florida. He also toured as a solo artist as young as 15 years old. He played the Apollo five times [[still has the posters) and toured with the likes of Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson and James Brown through the years all while in his teens.

In high school in Gainesville, Florida, he had a vocal quartet with some school friends named Little Jake and the Blenders. He's always gone by "Little Jake" [[his current band is Little Jake and the Soul Searchers). It was actually Harry Balk that said Jake Mitchell didn't sound like a hit recording artist and re-named him Jock Mitchell. Once Jock left Detroit, he started back up as Jake.

The cool thing about Little Jake and the Blenders is that in 1965, they were asked to perform at the big student-run pep rally at the University of Florida before the football team's homecoming game [[named Gator Growl). At the time, no black act had ever played the event and blacks weren't allowed to attend. He told them [[mind you, he's still in high school) that the only way the band will play was if they allowed black people into the event. After many days of deliberations, they approved the idea, set up a couple rows of bleachers in one endzone and officially integrated the event.

If you're interested enough, I filmed a city hall meeting here in Gainesville last year when they proclaimed it "Little Jake Mitchell Day" on the anniversary of the Gator Growl performance [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8nYl97pX8).

If you want to see ole' Jake doing his thing today, here he is last month performing his Impact cover of "Work With Me Annie" for the first time in more than 30 years [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqmof6S25E) and "Not a Chance in a Million" for the first time in 35 years [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHyN8WIsrNo)

Spinningsoul,
    I'll pass that information to Harry. I'm sure he would like to speak with you at some time in the future. Unfortunately, Harry has been under the weather for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Spinningsoul,
    I'll pass that information to Harry. I'm sure he would like to speak with you at some time in the future. Unfortunately, Harry has been under the weather for a while.
    Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll keep him in my thoughts. Hopefully he'll get better, not for my sake but for all of us music lovers that appreciate what he gave the world.

Spinningsoul

Many thanks for sending links to the videos on YouTube - Jake's sure looking and sounding good!

Were those videos done in Florida? He seems to have a following down there.

It seems strange he would be touring without having first had a record out. Most people I've interviewed only went on the road once thay had made a record.

So, reading between the lines, Jake was brought up in Florida and moved to Detroit as a boy? Does he recall where he cut those Impact songs - which studio?

Thanks again!

Graham

Name:  a Impact 1004a.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  19.0 KB
    PS: I have the release date for his first 45 on Impact [[#1004) as December 1965.
    Last edited by acooolcat; 04-08-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Spinningsoul

Many thanks for sending links to the videos on YouTube - Jake's sure looking and sounding good!

Were those videos done in Florida? He seems to have a following down there.

It seems strange he would be touring without having first had a record out. Most people I've interviewed only went on the road once thay had made a record.

So, reading between the lines, Jake was brought up in Florida and moved to Detroit as a boy? Does he recall where he cut those Impact songs - which studio?

Thanks again!

Graham
    Agreed on the recording thing. Jake's story is really odd and awkward at times, but being a journalist by day, I learned to check everything. One thing I've found in my years of interviewing musicians from this era, things get cloudy, confused and exaggerated regularly.

Part of what got him on the road was that he was discovered as a real youngster in a talent show in Tampa by B.B. King. King was playing a gig at Jake's school and instead of an opening act, they had a local talent show. King was offstage when he heard Jake sing and asked to meet him after the show. The two grew close and King adopted him as a Godson. I was present during a recent conversation and heard some really good stories between the two. King helped Jake get on the road, where he sang mostly covers of Hank Ballard [[hence the Work With Me Annie record) and other current artists. He wasn't a top-biller by any means, but his stage presence allowed him to warm up crowds early on... Plus, he was young, so that helped the crowd endear itself to him.

From what I've gathered [[the years aren't clear with me, but the places are)... He spend his childhood in the Tampa area before hitting the road. When he returned home, his mother and father had split and he was sent to live with his Grandmother in Gainesville, where he attended high school and cut a few local records and played parties with the Blenders. From there, the Blenders split up [[all over the country) and Jake moved to Detroit, where he recorded and started Golden Hit. After the divorce, everything kind of fell apart and he moved back to Florida. He continued to perform occasionally, but took up work as a chef at a college near Tampa. After 22 years there, he retired back to Gainesville, where he now lives with his current wife.

As far as the videos, all are in Florida. The Work With Me Annie was shot in Gainesville on March 24. The Not a Chance in a Million was three days later in Orlando during the U.K.'s SoulTrip USA.

spinningsoul - great details - many thanks.

Do you - or anyone else here - have mp3s of those Johnny Hardtime sides?

I have a couple of Detroit records by a woman named Rosa and wonder if there's a connection to Jake.

Cheers, Graham

I don't. Wish I did.

I'll take to Jake a bit more about Rosa. I very well could be mistaken, but he's never mentioned her singing before. I'll let you know what I hear.

spinningsoul - great details - many thanks.

Do you - or anyone else here - have mp3s of those Johnny Hardtime sides?

I have a couple of Detroit records by a woman named Rosa and wonder if there's a connection to Jake.

Cheers, Graham

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  21.1 KBI have The Johnny Hardtime record. I'll record it once I get a new stylus, and can set up my audio equipment. Both sides are Straight Blues, rather than Detroit Soul.

Robb - I haven't heard the Johnny Hardtime 45 in a long time, but thought it was Northern-R'n'B. Please let us know when you've transfered it to mp3.

Cheers, Graham