[REMOVE ADS]

Sandra Tilley Alternate version of We've Got Honey Love

Here's a cool alternate version with Sandra on lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBzf0WGtBIY

The version on Motown Sings also with Sandra on lead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ajCPpLp8og
    Last edited by soulballad; 04-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.

really nice photos of this set of the girls! Martha once told me that Sandra and Lois are on most of the tracks recorded since Sandra joined; just somewhat drowned out by the addition of the Andantes. nice to know they are there somewhere.
    i hope another Motown Treasures comes out with more oddities like this!

I've never heard Sandra sing before, so this is a nice treat. Thank you.

A bit confusing... I assume the first link is in the books as a Martha Reeves & The Vandellas song, the second one as a Velvelettes song?
    It's nice to hear Sandra's voice loud and clear. But, it has to be said, like Cindy's, her voice is not lead material, at least not in these takes.

When and where were these takes found? Were they respectively on the Martha Lost & Found cd and The Velvelettes Anthology?

The track was never fully produced in my ears, the then released MR&TV song had too many 'sound holes' in it, especially evident in the instrumental break.
    I'm writing this all by heart, so maybe if I would have the Martha led song at hand, I might change my mind, after 40+ years... LOL
    Last edited by robbert; 04-05-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    The track was never fully produced in my ears, the then released MR&TV song had too many 'sound holes' in it, especially evident in the instrumental break.
    I'm writing this all by heart, so maybe if I would have the Martha led song at hand, I might change my mind, after 40+ years... LOL
    Robbert - What do you mean by "sound holes?"

O dear, I have to explain my sound holes... LOL.
    Like I said, the track never sounded to me as if it were a finished product, compare it with the 'accident' of releasing I Can't Dance To The Music You're Playing. The stereo picture of Honey Love was quite extreme left-right [[I'm still digging into my 40+ old memory here...) and it sounded to me if the producers [[Richard Morris? Dean & Weatherspoon?) didn't go for the full 100% Motown Sound. I also remember a lot of interference [[Dutch: ruis) on this track.

Okay, Robbert, thanks for the explanation.

Theboyfromcrosstown knows all about the Sandra Tilley track. He hipped us to it several years ago.

It all came from Cal. She has a remarkable memory. I was only the messenger.

Dear John... tell me all about the Sandra Tilley track, I'm the newbie here!
    Or maybe John posted his wisdom on the old forum, in that case someone could lead me to it...?

There he is... The Messenger!
    Please repeat what Cal said, do it for me.

"John...that isn't me! For some time, Sandy had been badgering the producers to let her sing lead...and I guess they must have tried her on that song...unbeknown to me..."

And only cos it's you! *smile*

I didn't recall all of the details, but John was involved in us having this track. Upon first listen, i thought it was Cal.

Kamasu

When I played it to her, I asked "Is this one of the songs where they made you sound a little different....it kind of sounds as though you're singing from the back of your throat...."

The producers tried all sorts of things to make her sound different. "Love Is Good" is being sung whilst Cal is pinching her nostrils.

I like Sandy's version. We don't know how many takes she had to put the lead down. It also sounds like the same backing track used by Martha Reeves. I also think Sandy had the goods to sing lead no matter what Martha and others said. Her voice was different it had a nice color to it imo.

I agree. I think the producers captured Sandy really well.

I want to clarify that the Velvelettes recorded the song prior to the Vandellas. In fact, from memory, I think even the Elgins had a try before Martha.
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 04-05-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Tho totally confused by all of this I dug Sandra's voice. She reminds me of someone-maybe a little Dee Dee Sharp?

I believe that Sandy came from Cleveland...is that in Philadelphia where Dee Dee comes from?

Yes Dee Dee a Philly gal.

would enjoy having another track from Sandra; perhaps another find in another set someday. I heard Annette had passed away. Did she come from another group? did she move on to another group?

stopinthenameoflove Guest
    I do like Sandy on here - it doesnt sound like its a final production, but she does sound good

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I believe that Sandy came from Cleveland...is that in Philadelphia where Dee Dee comes from?
    Cleveland is in Ohio and Philadelphia is in Pennsylvania for the folks in the UK. I believe Ann Bogan of the Marvelettes is also from Cleveland and lives there now. Who was the Annette that passed away that Chestersong mentioned?

Annette McMillian is the third girl featured in the above video. a latter-day Velvelette.

Quote Originally Posted by chestersong View Post
    Annette McMillian is the third girl featured in the above video. a latter-day Velvelette.
    Thank you for that info. For a minute I thought it was Annette from the Vandellas! Whew!
    Wonder if anyone out there knows much about Sandra in regards if she was married or had kids? I really liked her voice. I always wondered what she sounded like.

smark21 Guest
    She would have made a good replacement for Cindy Birdsong in the Jean led Supremes. She was very elegant and poised and would have worked well as a Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Thank you for that info. For a minute I thought it was Annette from the Vandellas! Whew!
    Wonder if anyone out there knows much about Sandra in regards if she was married or had kids? I really liked her voice. I always wondered what she sounded like.
    One of Sandy's girl cousins from Cleveland use to chat with me a few years ago. She was so amazed and happy that folks remembered her cousin. She talked about how Sandy was the oldest of the kids from their family and how they all looked up to her. She made sure they got into all the shows that played Cleveland. She said Sandy was a very lively person and a lot of fun to be around.

I wonder why Roz or Lois never did any solos.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    They could have, they both have great voices.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I can think of one good reason..and I am sure you can too Luke! LOL

Yes, I was sure the recording had to be a Velvelettes track. Martha wouldn't have anyone else sing lead on a Martha & the
    Vandellas track.
    But Sandy has a nice voice. She sounds terrific!

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Yes, I was sure the recording had to be a Velvelettes track. Martha wouldn't have anyone else sing lead on a Martha & the
    Vandellas track.
    But Sandy has a nice voice. She sounds terrific!
    Except Syreeta,but that was out of her control.

Ok I get it now!

I like to hear a sampling of each of a vocal group members voices because it makes it easier to pick them out in the background. You can hear Sandra and her phrasing on several Vandellas later recordings. It's just too bad that they were often blended with other singers.
    Last edited by soulballad; 04-06-2011 at 11:37 AM.

It would be nice to hear a live recording of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas with Sandra and Lois.

RossHolloway Guest
    Do we know when Sandra recorded vocals for this song? And does anyone know if the Elgins actually recorded a version of this song?