[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Supremes Dury Lane Theatre 1977

Can someone please post the song list from their final concert again please :-)

Everybody Gets To Go to the Moon
    Let Yourself Go
    Stoned Love
    Memories / Maybe This Time
    Sixties Hits Medley
    Knocks Me Off My Feet
    What About Today
    A Song For You / How Lucky Can You Get
    I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking

Thank you....Not a long list though.

I used to have the show on cassette tape [[the quality of the sound was only so-so at best). It did seem like a rather short show as I remember. Wonder if anyone else was on the bill with them?

Whats Knocks Me Off My Feet?

I think Billy Ocean was on the bill as well.

The cassette that's been making the rounds might be edited. I can't believe this would be the entire final performance. mary mentions some additional songs in her second book.

KNOCKS ME OFF MY FEET is a Stevie Wonder song from his SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE album. I believe Susaye sang it in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think Billy Ocean was on the bill as well.

The cassette that's been making the rounds might be edited. I can't believe this would be the entire final performance. mary mentions some additional songs in her second book.

KNOCKS ME OFF MY FEET is a Stevie Wonder song from his SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE album. I believe Susaye sang it in the show.
    Yes Billy Ocean was the opening act for Mary's Farewell Show.Mary is trying to get a copy of it from the company that taped it and broadcast it originally in the U.K.

Unless something was editied out, the program that I listed above was 50 minutes long. By the way, the 11 minute "Sixties Medley" was:

Someday We'll Be Together; You Keep Me Hangin' On; Baby Love; Love Child; Stop! In the Name of Love; and, My World is Empty Without You.

Actually, My World is Empty Without You was 4 minutes of the 11 minute medley.

I have the show on audio tape somewhere. It's been years since I've listened to it. There were clips of it on Youtube.

I believe the concert was broadcast on Capital Radio at the time.

It's been on Capital Radio a few times - but I've only heard excerpts which, as a fan, I would want to edit out all of the dj copmmentary.

The latest 45 was "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good" and I can still remember fans singing it with gusto outside the theatre to encourage the ladies to meet and greet. They didn't come out but it was still fun.

Billy Ocean was a superb support act.

They also sung 'Corner Of The Sky'.

Thx Reese. Was their publicity about this in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    There was quite a bit that ran in news columns and afterwards pictures from the show were released. We did not have the internet or these TV Entertainment Magazine Shows like we have today LOL! I remember the picture of
    Mary standing onstage with her toddler daughter and many pictures of the after party.

Here are a couple of shots from the Farewell Show in 1977:

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    There might have been, but I didn't see any. I didn't even really know that the group was disbanded until I walked into a record store one day, and saw Mary's first solo album.

I have a cd copy of this show and the playlist is:

[[Band and intro)
    Everybody gets to go to the moon
    Let yourself go
    Stoned love
    [[Dialogue)
    The way we were
    Maybe this time
    Someday we'll be together
    You keep me hanging on
    Where did our love go
    Baby love
    Love child
    Stop in the name of love
    My world is empty without you
    [[Intro Susaye): I don't want to bore you
    [[Intro Scherrie): What about today
    [[Dialogue: Mary)
    Your song
    How lucky can you get
    I'm gonna let my heart do the walking

It last about 50 minutes in all. The 'old' Supremes segment lasts about 10 minutes

Drew

I seem to recall some celebration and the ladies toasted that on stage. Can you remember who it was for and why?

Is this an audio cd rather than a video CD? I'd love to see myself with hair again! HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Drew

I seem to recall some celebration and the ladies toasted that on stage. Can you remember who it was for and why?

Is this an audio cd rather than a video CD? I'd love to see myself with hair again! HAHA
    There is nothing like this on my cd. It is an audio cd and I have no idea where it originated from. I got it via a mate and always assumed it was some kind of internet bootleg caper.
    So, were you and your full head of hair at one of those final concerts? LOL!
    I only listened to it last week and, to my mind, it is spoilt a little by Scherrie's vocals in places. Don't get me wrong! I love her voice. 'Chasing me into somebody else's arms' is on my Top 10 of all time [[and certainly the best thing to come out of Ian Levine's Nightmare/MotorCity stint), but she can tend toward 'shriekage' if not reined-in a little.

Drew and I have posted the same listing, so that must be the correct one. The main mention of this being their last show is Mary stating that she is "scared" but excited to be a solo act, while asking the crowd to support Scherrie and Susaye as they continue as The Supremes.

Live at Montreux May Be Better Quality Than Final at Drury Lane

When I was shopping for bootleg concert CDs on Ebay several years back, I was told by a seller who had both that the Supremes Live in Montreux [[sp?) set was much better quality than the Drury Lane final concert set. I did purchase the Montreux and I was satisfied with the quality though naturally it was not recorded professionally at the time. I don't have it in front of me but one notable difference in the song selection is that Montreux included a great version of "High Energy," one of my favorite post-Diana Supremes songs.

the boyfromxtown

Unless it was a completely different show [[and I wouldn't rule that out...!) wasn't mention made during the show [[by Scherrie, I think) of Mary being 'with child', or some very similar description...??

Mary then patted her bump with a beaming smile, to great applause.

Scherrie & Susaye seemed genuinely delighted for her.

Roger

I think you are right. Did that not precede Turkessa being brought on stage, and I think it was when Mary sung "How Lucky Can You Get". I thought that rendition by Mary was the highlight of the show.

Did you join the fans calling out to the ladies for a "meet and greet" type thing. That was hilarious.

Drew
    I didn't feel that Scherrie was shrieking. I was a big fan of Scherrie [[still am) and really enjoyed seeing here for the first time. I was hoping she might have done her Invictus material, but that was clearly wishful thinking on my part

My full head of hair WAS at that concert.....sadly , no more though!

theboyfromXtown

Yes, in turn, I think you also are right. Turkessa was then brought on stage...and I agree with you that Mary's "How lucky can you get" was a highlight. It was the first time I really heard Mary go for it, full blast. She plainly started to weep during the song [[similar to the way she was affected during 'Somewhere' in the late 60's, at the Palladium...) and, when she pulled the microphone away at the end, she could clearly be heard by all of us, up in the circle. Got a standing ovation.

The other highlights were [[a) Susaye's "Knocks me off my feet", a performance which gently spread its wings, and then took full flight. You could feel the audience willing her to just soar. Another standing ovation.

...and [[b) Scherrie Payne [['The Payne Killer'). I love Scherrie's voice, and her whole stage manner. Not only a great singer, but a real stage artist and entertainer..and the two don't always go hand in hand.

No, I didn't join the other fans for the singing. Knew nothing about it! Anyway, it was a Sunday [[I think...) so you'll understand that I would of course have been in a hurry to get to Church, before midnight....

Just like you, my full head of hair also attended that show. The teeth that accompanied me then are the same that accompany now wherever I go..and, yes, they still remain in my head each time they are cleaned!

Drew

Shrieky? Mmmm, no, I'm inclined to say not, although there is another, very talented Supreme lady who I do find can sometimes move into that territory.

Sure, Scherrie can give that voice full projection, whenever she wants...but she can also lob an emotion into the audience, as if using a feather, and still hit the mark full on, if she so wishes....

Is the Dury Lane Theater still there?

smark21 Guest
    When did Knocks me off my Feet replace He Ain't Heavy as Susaye's solo in the Supremes show?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Is the Dury Lane Theater still there?

Yes. Here is an interview Mary did earlier this month at the Drury Lane Theater in London. In it she reminisces about her farewell performace with the Supremes:

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist/IT...e=Save&v=0&a=0
    Last edited by marv2; 03-29-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes. Here is an interview Mary did earlier this month at the Dury Lane Theater in London. In it she reminisces about her farewell performace with the Supremes:

Thanks Marv. Nice interview and I see the Dury Lane is still there!

Roger...would that be the church at Hampstead Heath! And I don't believe you still have your own hair AND teeth, and the only way to prove it is to come out with us all on 7 May. *blows raspberry*

Hey guys, it's Drury Lane...not Dury Lane. The theatre is just a few minutes away from the [[very grand) Savoy Hotel.

Yes. Here is an interview Mary did earlier this month at the Dury Lane Theater in London. In it she reminisces about her farewell performace with the Supremes:

Marv....you're the man. Well done for finding this clip.

Marv thanks for posting! She is a beautiful woman and gives an articulate interview.

You're welcome. What I find most amazing is that the Farewell Show was held on June 12, 1977 and today is March 29, 2011 and I am listening to Mary Wilson's new record "Life's Been Good to Me"! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There might have been, but I didn't see any. I didn't even really know that the group was disbanded until I walked into a record store one day, and saw Mary's first solo album.

Once again, I agree with Reese. I don't remember reading much in American publications about the Supremes' farewell show aside from Carl Feurebacher's Supremes newsletters, some clippings sent over from UK papers and there was a cassette tape of the show that circulated among fans. There was no major media coverage in the US. Most of the American public didn't know the Supremes were still together in 1977, much less that they had disbanded. Heck, that same year, Tony Orlando's nervous breakdown and break-up with Dawn received more media attention in America.

The Supremes went out with a wimper...not a bang, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 03-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Once again, I agree with Reese. I don't remember reading much in American publications about the Supremes' farewell show aside from Carl Feurebacher's old newsletter, some clippings sent over from UK papers and there was a cassette tape of the show that circulated among fans. There was no major media coverage in the US. Most of the American public didn't know the Supremes were still together in 1977, much less that they had disbanded. Heck, that same year, Tony Orlando's nervous breakdown and break-up with Dawn received more media attention in America.

The Supremes went out with a wimper...not a bang, in my opinion.
    Wow......the reference to Carl Feurbrebacher's newsletter brought back a lot of memories. I think I used to get that newsletter....many, many years ago. Is Carl still around and is he still involved with The Supremes/Mary Wilson is any way? I haven't heard Carl's name mentioned in eons.

Carl Feuerbacher is still very alive & involved Motown/Supremes wise. Check him out on Facebook.

Here is Mary with Carl Feuerbacher and Scherrie Payne last September at the Catalina Grille.

You come up with the neatest pics, Marv. Was Mary performing there and Scherrie there to support her?

Yes Mary's departure from the Supremes was covered in U.S. Newpapers, Jet Magazine,etc,etc and yes in the fan club newsletter. There were also columns that ran in the press about potential replacements for Mary, I remember. Susaye can probably fill you in too on the articles. The only entertainment news in 1977 that I can recall that received MAJOR coverage was the death of Elvis Pressley.

I'm sorry you missed it, but in Detroit and Toledo were received the news coverage in the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    You come up with the neatest pics, Marv. Was Mary performing there and Scherrie there to support her?
    Thank you blueskies. Yes Scherrie was there along with about dozen or so of Mary's Hollywood buddies.

I really wish that i could have been at THE SUPREMES,MARY,SCHERRIE and SUSAYE'S farwell show,i have a copy of the show on cd, that was a fan gave me,he had a great copy on casette,and he put it on cd for me,we[[fans) never knew that,that was the ferwell SUPREMES SHOW,for even SCHERRIE and SUSAYE,They were great together.
    Please stay positive

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I really wish that i could have been at THE SUPREMES,MARY,SCHERRIE and SUSAYE'S farwell show,i have a copy of the show on cd, that was a fan gave me,he had a great copy on casette,and he put it on cd for me,we[[fans) never knew that,that was the ferwell SUPREMES SHOW,for even SCHERRIE and SUSAYE,They were great together.
    Please stay positive
    I forgot, Mary Wilson's departure from the Supremes might have also been given a page in Jet and written about in SOUL newspaper. But Mary herself was in with the editors and Walter Burrell of SOUL and she fed them news herself. BURRELL WAS THE ONLY COLUMNIST that I recall who mentioned possible replacements for Mary.
    I don't know about Detroit or newspapers in Toledo, but, DUH, why wouldn't the end of the Supremes have been news in those cities? But the Supremes' farewell was not covered in Life, Ebony, Time, Newsweek, People magazine or any of the major, national publications that I read. They tried, but Mary leaving the Supremes just didn't get the press attention that Diana leaving the Supremes generated.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 03-30-2011 at 08:58 AM.

I forgot, Mary Wilson's departure from the Supremes might have also been given a page in Jet and written about in SOUL newspaper. But Mary herself was in with the editors and Walter Burrell of SOUL and she fed them news herself. BURRELL WAS THE ONLY COLUMNIST that I recall who mentioned possible replacements for Mary.
    I don't know about Detroit or newspapers in Toledo, but, DUH, why wouldn't the end of the Supremes have been news in those cities? But the Supremes' farewell was not covered in Life, Ebony, Time, Newsweek, People magazine or any of the major, national publications that I read. They tried, but Mary leaving the Supremes just didn't get the press attention that Diana leaving the Supremes generated.
    No, Rona Barrett [[remember her?) she covered it, this national columnist Earl [[I can't remember his last name now) covered it. Billboard gave mention to it. I don't remember if we were even still reading Life Magazine in 1977. It may not have gotten the press that Diane's leaving in 1970 got, but there were more people with the opportunity to hear about Mary's departure in 1977 if they wanted to than in 1970. I think your point is to compare right? But the facts remain, it was a news story if not a Earth shattering one at the time.

No, Rona Barrett [[remember her?) she covered it, this national columnist Earl [[I can't remember his last name now) covered it. Billboard gave mention to it. I don't remember if we were even still reading Life Magazine in 1977. It may not have gotten the press that Diane's leaving in 1970 got, but there were more people with the opportunity to hear about Mary's departure in 1977 if they wanted to than in 1970. I think your point is to compare right? But the facts remain, it was a news story if not a Earth shattering one at the time.

Rona Barrett. That's a name people barely remember these days. Where is she? And Earl "what's his name?" You can't even remember his name. If you're referring to Earl WILSON. His time had come & gone by 1977. Who was reading his column?
    I don't revise history, but state what I remember and the Supremes' farewell in 1977 wasn't major news because most people didn't care by 1977. If it got such major press attention and masses of people around the world knew about it, why did Mary rehire two Supremes for that tour of South America or wherever?

Rona Barrett. That's a name people barely remember these days. Where is she? And Earl "what's his name?" You can't even remember his name. If you're referring to Earl WILSON. His time had come & gone by 1977. Who was reading his column?
    I don't revise history, but state what I remember and the Supremes' farewell in 1977 wasn't major news because most people didn't care by 1977. If it got such major press attention and masses of people around the world knew about it, why did Mary rehire two Supremes for that tour of South America or wherever?
    I couldn't say most people didn't care. I do know it was story of interest. Masses of people never really cared about Diane leaving.....it's just show biz! She hired Cindy Birdsong and Debbie Sharpe [[according to her second book), because there were Supremes contract obligations to perform in South American during the summer of 1977 that Motown was not going to honor.

Marv:
    I hope you have a sprinkler system in case of a fire to protect all your pics. Where the heck do get them all? Anyway, when I lived in Detroit, there was plenty of coverage and discussion that Mary was leaving the group. I remember her doing a radio show discussing the departure. Folks were suprised. I remember people discussing the fact that their last two albums were real good. Interesting, because it has been mentioned that their album sales were not stellar, but people were familiar with their latest material, especially High Energy and Let My Heart Do The Walking. A friend of mine owned a record store and stated that High Energy sold out, but was unable to get more albums. He put the display out in front of the store in the mall and proved to be a good marketing effort. There were other Motown releases at the sametime as this release. I can't believe we are still talking bout these wonderful ladies thirty five years later!

Why would Motown have had to honor a contract for a tour it was not legally obligated to uphold?
    The Supremes or Mary & her manager at the time signed the contracts, probably took the advance money and had to honor that obligation. Motown was a record business. It never toured.
    From what Motown historians have said, Scherrie Payne & Susaye Green decided against going to S. America with Mary because she had announced she was leaving the Supremes. But she wanted back in for this tour because she was legally obligated and could have been sued personally.

You could have great photos too if you searched the internet for them and appropriated them the way some people on the forum do without giving proper credit.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 03-30-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    Why would Motown have to honor a contract for a tour it was not legally obligated to uphold?
    The Supremes or Mary & her manager at the time signed the contracts, probably took the advance money and had to honor that obligation. From what Motown historians have said, Scherrie Payne & Susaye Green decided against going to S. America with Mary because she had announced she was leaving the Supremes. But she wanted back in for this tour.

You could have great photos too if you searched the internet for them and appropriated them the way some people on the forum do.
    You answered your own question without realizing it. The shows called for "The Supremes" to perform. Mary Wilson was no longer in the Supremes. Motown owned the name, trademark and Scherrie and Susaye Greene were still "The Supremes". Mary did not want back in "The Supremes" because of the South American tour. She did it because the contracts for the tour were signed well in advance of her leaving the Supremes officially. I have many photos that I have scanned from my own collection as well.

Marv

Are you sure Motown owned the name? There was a lot of stuff going on a few years later about Mary giving up her share of the name. Or was that all a smoke screen?

You answered your own question without realizing it. The shows called for "The Supremes" to perform. Mary Wilson was no longer in the Supremes. Motown owned the name, trademark and Scherrie and Susaye Greene were still "The Supremes". Mary did not want back in "The Supremes" because of the South American tour. She did it because the contracts for the tour were signed well in advance of her leaving the Supremes officially. I have many photos that I have scanned from my own collection as well.
    Yeah, right!