[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Non-Motown releases

I'm a big fan of Gladys Knight & The Pips' Motown career but I know little about their pre-Motown recordings and even less about their recordings with Buddha and Columbia, among others during the 1970's and 1980's. What would you consider some good starting points in terms of what has been released on CD?

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_postman View Post
    I'm a big fan of Gladys Knight & The Pips' Motown career but I know little about their pre-Motown recordings and even less about their recordings with Buddha and Columbia, among others during the 1970's and 1980's. What would you consider some good starting points in terms of what has been released on CD?

Thank you in advance!
    There's a two disc CD titled The Way They Were or The Way We Were: Best Of that gives a nice overview of GK&TP recorded history at Buddah, Sony & MCA. It even features rare tracks like Seconds, which was written by BURT Bacharach, Feel Like Making Love, I'm Coming Home Again and Better You Go Your Way, a duet with Bill Withers. The mastering is excellent. It's available on Amazon.com.

GOLD, released a few years ago by Hip- O/Universal is also good because it features early recordings like LETTER FULL OF TEARS, 13 Motown tracks, hits from the Buddah period, as well as hits from Sony and MCA and a few Gladys Knight solo hits. It's almost essential.
    The Claudine ST is also a must have, as is Imagination. If you can find
    them at reasonable prices.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 03-15-2011 at 09:43 AM.

The best collection of their pre-Motown material is the Acrobat release "LETTER FULL OF TEARS: THE EARLY YEARS". It contains all of their pre-Motown material from Fury and Maxx, with the exception of their first Brunswick single.

Columbia has a recent cd THE BEST OF... that compiles the best of their output for that label. Individual albums from those years like ABOUT LOVE and VISIONS are also work seeking out.

Van McCoy penned a few of the tunes from the early days. Two of my favorites are Either Way I Lose and Giving Up. Yes, Miss Gladys did the original before Donny Hathaway, Jennifer Holiday and a host others.

Get an album with 'Come back and finish what you started' on. Fabalussss!

Mr Postman ..

A pre-Motown VAN McCOY written/produced gem from GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS :

"Stop And Get A Hold Of Myself" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRHlhEk2Q0

A Post Motown VAN McCOY written/produced gem from GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS.

"Baby Don't Change Your Mind"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loLtIHz6pvc

ENJOY ..

Roger

smark21 Guest
    I've always like the title song from their 1988 MCA album All Our Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSATbzyvYjQ

When the group were signed to Columbia, they collaborated with ace songwriter Sam Dees.
    So over those years they cut numerous great Sam Dees penned songs.
    Check out the tracklisting of CD's that feature their Columbia recordings to see which contain a few S.D. songs; you can't go wrong picking up a copy of any that do.