[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ....and what people like Michelle Obama is doing is simply repeating what they heard Oprah say. The local tv appearances are the hardests ones to come by. Even the ones they may have did in Detroit.

Diana Ross is a Beatles-sized legend: Time to give this diva her due

By Michael D. Clark
    03.01.11 | 06:49 am
    To understand the the enormity of having a true diva like Diana Ross playing the Verizon Wireless Theater on Tuesday night is to first understand some simple mathematics: Two is better than one.

As in two Hall of Fame careers worthy of immortality in the history of Motown, R&B, disco and pop — as Ms. Ross has enjoyed, first with The Supremes and the as a solo artist — is at least one more than most anybody else could ever aspire.

Beginning as the leader of The Supremes in the 1960s, Ross changed pop music, not only leading the way in making this youthful movement a multi-cultural art form, but a multi-gender one as well. At the height of The Supremes power in the mid-1960s, Ross and her harmonic peers owned the charts and radio scoring No. 1 hits and selling albums with a frequency and volume enjoyed only by their white, male, British mop-topped peers, The Beatles.

"Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Stop! In The Name of Love," "You Keep Me Hanging On," "Love Child." All of these are former top-charting songs and form the spine of a very large discography that makes the The Supremes the still-reigning most successful female vocal group of all time. Their 33 Top-40 singles has meant sales of over 100 million records [[and still counting).

And that only accounts for Ross' first decade in the music biz. Since going solo in 1970 she went back to the top of the charts with a cover of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" as well as songbird sonnets like "Touch Me in the Morning," and "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)." In the '80s she took disco dance floors by storm with the funky "Upside Down" and then melted hearts and helped couples make babies with her No. 1 duet with Lionel Richie, "Endless Love."

Along the way she earned Grammy nominations, an Oscar nomination and a Golden Globe for her 1972 portrayal of Billie Holliday in Lady Sings the Blues, and even a Tony award for a 1977 one-woman Broadway show. In more recent years she was honored with the very prestigious John F. Kennedy Center Honor for the Performing Arts Award and the Guinness Book of World Records declared her the most successful female music artist in history.

So, yeah, having Diana Ross in Houston is kind of a big deal.

If you can get to this show, then don't miss out. The opportunity to see an honest-to-goodness legend in person doesn't come around very often.

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-...-diva-her-due/

I saw the Supremes in 64 on Thaxton--I think I saw them on Bandstand--when oh when is Dick CLark releasing those shows??Oh to see Dee Dee, Supremes etc --I thought I read he was finally going to do so. Oprah has said she initially "wanted to be Mary" when she saw the Supremes on Ed. She needs to work on her memory a bit. Though Im not too concerned -Dremgirls, the new Flo movie etc.

I agree its time to give her the recognition as Lead singer of the Supremes and for her solo work.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Diana Ross is a Beatles-sized legend: Time to give this diva her due

By Michael D. Clark
    03.01.11 | 06:49 am
    To understand the the enormity of having a true diva like Diana Ross playing the Verizon Wireless Theater on Tuesday night is to first understand some simple mathematics: Two is better than one.

As in two Hall of Fame careers worthy of immortality in the history of Motown, R&B, disco and pop — as Ms. Ross has enjoyed, first with The Supremes and the as a solo artist — is at least one more than most anybody else could ever aspire.

Beginning as the leader of The Supremes in the 1960s, Ross changed pop music, not only leading the way in making this youthful movement a multi-cultural art form, but a multi-gender one as well. At the height of The Supremes power in the mid-1960s, Ross and her harmonic peers owned the charts and radio scoring No. 1 hits and selling albums with a frequency and volume enjoyed only by their white, male, British mop-topped peers, The Beatles.

"Where Did Our Love Go," "Baby Love," "Stop! In The Name of Love," "You Keep Me Hanging On," "Love Child." All of these are former top-charting songs and form the spine of a very large discography that makes the The Supremes the still-reigning most successful female vocal group of all time. Their 33 Top-40 singles has meant sales of over 100 million records [[and still counting).

And that only accounts for Ross' first decade in the music biz. Since going solo in 1970 she went back to the top of the charts with a cover of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" as well as songbird sonnets like "Touch Me in the Morning," and "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)." In the '80s she took disco dance floors by storm with the funky "Upside Down" and then melted hearts and helped couples make babies with her No. 1 duet with Lionel Richie, "Endless Love."

Along the way she earned Grammy nominations, an Oscar nomination and a Golden Globe for her 1972 portrayal of Billie Holliday in Lady Sings the Blues, and even a Tony award for a 1977 one-woman Broadway show. In more recent years she was honored with the very prestigious John F. Kennedy Center Honor for the Performing Arts Award and the Guinness Book of World Records declared her the most successful female music artist in history.

So, yeah, having Diana Ross in Houston is kind of a big deal.

If you can get to this show, then don't miss out. The opportunity to see an honest-to-goodness legend in person doesn't come around very often.

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/03-...-diva-her-due/

RossHolloway Guest
    Why is Darlene Love in the Rock in Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist, but not Diana Ross?

Well, all I can say is: Oprah may not get "it" but Diana did and does. Several times during her interview, when Oprah said that "you" blah blah blah, Diana corrected her with "we".

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I agree its time to give her the recognition as Lead singer of the Supremes and for her solo work.
    You have to be kidding? She has received all types of recognition. It is time give the newer generation of singers some play.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Why is Darlene Love in the Rock in Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist, but not Diana Ross?
    She is not going in as no soloist. You can forget that when she didn't even show up for the Supremes induction. She'll get a Grammy before that happens.

Perhaps Evan Ross will command those accolades that his mom should have got, time will tell. After all he is the newer generation.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You have to be kidding? She has received all types of recognition. It is time give the newer generation of singers some play.

She is not going in as no soloist. You can forget that when she didn't even show up for the Supremes induction. She'll get a Grammy before that happens.
    And Paul McCartney didn't show up for the Beatles induction, and they sure inducted him as a soloist in 1999. Although they slapped his hand by making him wait 4 years.

Diana will be inducted. Trust.

I believe you and it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    And Paul McCartney didn't show up for the Beatles induction, and they sure inducted him as a soloist in 1999. Although they slapped his hand by making him wait 4 years.

Last edited by captainjames; 03-01-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Lest we all forget that mary wilson herself, via her facebook page, told all of her fans to be sure to watch diana on oprah. If mary can let it go, why can't you?

This is all about semantics. Oprah is a huge mass market conglomerate responding to "the people". The people are not the committed fans ~ the people love Baby Love and we all can't stand it, in general.

Oprah is mouthing what the masses of people see and feel. They don't know who any of the Supremes were other than Diana. They don't even know if any of them sing anymore. Most people don't care about the politics of the Supremes, the Beatles, the Beach Boys etc. They know Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Diana Ross. The rest are incidental.

That is heartbreaking to some fans of Lynda and Mary and Scherrie and Jean. But it is also real life.

I'm ducking the rotten tomatoes already.

Just my opinion, but whenever Diana appeared at anything Supreme related, including Flo's funeral, Motown 25, etc., there was controversy. Maybe she declined to appear at the R&R Hall of Fame ceremony to avoid any controversy and to let Mary enjoy the spotlight and accolades since it is Mary who says that she was the one carrying on the Supreme legacy

No need to duck Rob, it is what it is !!! Each Supreme has made their own contribution, Diana, Flo, Barabra, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye, Cindy, Jean and Mary. The die hard fans know the contibutions but, it is the mass public that identifies Diana as "THE ONE".

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    This is all about semantics. Oprah is a huge mass market conglomerate responding to "the people". The people are not the committed fans ~ the people love Baby Love and we all can't stand it, in general.

Oprah is mouthing what the masses of people see and feel. They don't know who any of the Supremes were other than Diana. They don't even know if any of them sing anymore. Most people don't care about the politics of the Supremes, the Beatles, the Beach Boys etc. They know Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Diana Ross. The rest are incidental.

That is heartbreaking to some fans of Lynda and Mary and Scherrie and Jean. But it is also real life.

No need to duck Rob, it is what it is !!! Each Supreme has made their own contribution, Diana, Flo, Barabra, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye, Cindy, Jean and Mary. The die hard fans know the contibutions but, it is the mass public that identifies Diana as "THE ONE".
    I will always hold a soft spot for all former Supremes especially Barbara Martin. That great lady walked away from show business and became a Podiatrists nurse. Helping to heal people's feet is very commendable and very admirable. Your feet support the weight of your entire body.

Diana Ross is the only Supreme to become a global superstar but all ladies gave their God given all to the group.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Just my opinion, but whenever Diana appeared at anything Supreme related, including Flo's funeral, Motown 25, etc., there was controversy. Maybe she declined to appear at the R&R Hall of Fame ceremony to avoid any controversy and to let Mary enjoy the spotlight and accolades since it is Mary who says that she was the one carrying on the Supreme legacy

And maybe she did it maliciously out of anger for Mary's book. Who cares? Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    And maybe she did it maliciously out of anger for Mary's book. Who cares? Fcuk!
    I don't mean to offend but surely you can get your point across without cussing miss_lish?

miss_lish Guest
    Miss Lish is sorry Miss Roberta, but these folks piss Divalish the eff off; always up in this or that's Supreme's business like it's theirs. This Supreme is better than that Supreme because blather, blather...before you came, they were even discussing which Supreme's feet were more attractive; which now that I think about it, might have been right up your alley. LOL! I will tell you that Barbara Martin's feet didn't even receive an honorary mention.

Miss Lish will attempt to keep from cussing, butt do add her to your prayer list. Divalish will do better.

Miss Lish is sorry Miss Roberta, but these folks piss Divalish the eff off; always up in this or that's Supreme's business like it's theirs. This Supreme is better than that Supreme because blather, blather...before you came, they were even discussing which Supreme's feet were more attractive; which now that I think about it, might have been right up your alley. LOL! I will tell you that Barbara Martin's feet didn't even receive an honorary mention.

Miss Lish will attempt to keep from cussing, butt do add her to your prayer list. Divalish will do better.
    Bless your heart miss_lish. I should think after years in Podiatry Ms. Barbara Martin has the best feet of any living Supreme.

Paul was in a legal battle with Yoko and George Harrison at that time. Diane was not there because the word [[from Mike Love of the Beach Boys) was that she didn't want Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson inducted just herself!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That could be true..........in a nicer World.

Lest we all forget that mary wilson herself, via her facebook page, told all of her fans to be sure to watch diana on oprah. If mary can let it go, why can't you?
    Because we are not Mary?

topdiva1 Guest

LOOK Oprah had Diana Ross on because SHE CAN - it is her show - her final season - and as a fan of many = Oprah will have them all on - no more than a tribute to her own power.

topdiva1 Guest
    Mary Wilson is a very forgiven person. All she ever wanted was, what was RIGHT.

Mary has moved on years ago - try FAREWELL - and has suceeded - when most in the business said she would never.

GEE... I don't begrudge Darlene Love, who turns 70 this year, that Hall of Fame honor. Darlene Love is Rock 'N' Roll. Diana Ross is already a member and will probably be recognised for her solo music.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    GEE... I don't begrudge Darlene Love, who turns 70 this year, that Hall of Fame honor. Darlene Love is Rock 'N' Roll. Diana Ross is already a member and will probably be recognised for her solo music.
    And I agree - Diana Ross should be honored.

Marv, why CAN you not be like Mary? She does not approve of your bad behaviour on either here or YouTube; she says that these kinds of fans make it worse and have probably sealed the fate of any reunion. If she can celebrate the successes of other Supremes or Diana, shouldn't every fan of hers? Are they real fans then? Or is it just an obsession or illness?

Marv, why CAN you not be like Mary? She does not approve of your bad behaviour on either here or YouTube; she says that these kinds of fans make it worse and have probably sealed the fate of any reunion. If she can celebrate the successes of other Supremes or Diana, shouldn't every fan of hers? Are they real fans then? Or is it just an obsession or illness?
    No! Everyone shouldn't if they don't wanna.......! It's called free will, free thought. Ever heard of it?
    Last edited by marv2; 03-02-2011 at 02:02 PM.

You are funny as hell! LOL! Oprah was not "responding to the people" when she decided to have Diana Ross on for an hour long "PR- mercial" There weren't any people demanding to see Diane on tv for an hour talking about absolutely nothing! There is no other show that would have her on and have her talk about nothing, maybe that is why it has taken her 4 years to get a tv spot? Just asking......

Perhaps that is why she got on one of the highest rated shows?? I mean come on now this discussion is ludicrous. You don't like her and she doesn’t care so sir have a seat! listening to this logic is not even fun anymore its obvious and transparent as sludge on a red rose. let's get back to the music.

You are funny as hell! LOL! Oprah was not "responding to the people" when she decided to have Diana Ross on for an hour long "PR- mercial" There weren't any people demanding to see Diane on tv for an hour talking about absolutely nothing! There is no other show that would have her on and have her talk about nothing, maybe that is why it has taken her 4 years to get a tv spot? Just asking......

miss_lish Guest
    Perhaps that is why she got on one of the highest rated shows?? I mean come on now this discussion is ludicrous. You don't like her and she doesn’t care so sir have a seat! listening to this logic is not even fun anymore its obvious and transparent as sludge on a red rose. let's get back to the music.

LOL! Now get this Captain; when I axed Mary last year at the Razzz Room point blank and to her face if she knew marysfan and I also identified him by his given name; all I received was a blank stare. LOL! At first, I thought why is she looking at me so oddly? Later on, I realized she must have been thinking, "Oh god! Another fan thinking I should remember a particular fan, although I meet zillions of folks every month!" LOL! Eventually, Parnell muttered, "No, I don't know him." LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Mary just sat there diplomatically attempting to avoid the question. Miss Lish quickly moved things along. LOLOLOLOL!!

topdiva1 Guest
    So you spoke to Mary Wilson recently about someones personal behavior on the internet?

No, but as you well know, others have. And as you also well know, she would likely approve of you less. But she rarely gives it all a thought.

Look pal. Re-read the title of this thread. It is not about whether or not I like her, I don't care about her. What I do care about is truth and accuracy where we have the ability and tools to determine them. The truth is that Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard and Diana Ross appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show together, not Diana Ross alone.

~~~~~yawn~~~~

Look pal. Re-read the title of this thread. It is not about whether or not I like her, I don't care about her. What I do care about is truth and accuracy where we have the ability and tools to determine them. The truth is that Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard and Diana Ross appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show together, not Diana Ross alone.

Miss Lish
    I can understand that and I believe you.

LOL! Now get this Captain; when I axed Mary last year at the Razzz Room point blank and to her face if she knew marysfan and I also identified him by his given name; all I received was a blank stare. LOL! At first, I thought why is she looking at me so oddly? Later on, I realized she must have been thinking, "Oh god! Another fan thinking I should remember a particular fan, although I meet zillions of folks every month!" LOL! Eventually, Parnell muttered, "No, I don't know him." LOLOLOLOLOL!!! Mary just sat there diplomatically attempting to avoid the question. Miss Lish quickly moved things along. LOLOLOLOL!!

Who is Marysfan?

~~~~~yawn~~~~
    No problem. I use to yawn in History class too!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown_M_1056 View Post
    Who is Marysfan?
    Exactly! Mary who?

topdiva1 Guest
    And the topic is The Supremes on Ed Sullivan - or something like that friends,

Stay on topic.

Because we are not Mary?
    No, because YOU aren't Mary. Not even close, sister.

topdiva1 Guest
    LMFAO - that is so true - a cute hour of nothing be cuteness and a look at a legend aging - nothing more nothing less. It was Oprah having her say.

topdiva1 Guest
    No, because YOU aren't Mary. Not even close, sister.
    And as for you, Do you really know Mary Wilson?

In regard to the post on Dick Clark issuing a collection of American Bandstand performances...I was told they wouldn't do it
    because there are too many companies involved in owning the rights to the music that it would be too many deals to work
    out and wouldn't be worth it. What a shame! Those classic performances should be commercially available to the public
    and it is our loss that so many copyrights; owners of such work get greedy. What happens is that the music gets lost
    and forgotten eventually if it is not kept current.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    In regard to the post on Dick Clark issuing a collection of American Bandstand performances...I was told they wouldn't do it
    because there are too many companies involved in owning the rights to the music that it would be too many deals to work
    out and wouldn't be worth it. What a shame! Those classic performances should be commercially available to the public
    and it is our loss that so many copyrights; owners of such work get greedy. What happens is that the music gets lost
    Randy, that would have been a dream come true! Dick Clark had EVERYONE on his shows over the years and after the first airings, all we got was select little snippets on his Anniversary Specials. Now I wished we had VCR's back in the 60's!

Mary Brewster does know Mary Wilson and is in contact with her.

topdiva1 Guest
    Mary Brewster does know Mary Wilson and is in contact with her.
    As does Tony Turner - only in a real personal way.

The Phil Spector connection. Allegedly Phil Spector was the reason the Ronettes and Darlene didn't get in earlier. After Phil got locked up, the Ronettes got inducted.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    In my honest opinion, their excuses are ridiculous. What have they got to lose in releasing the stuff on DVD?!