[REMOVE ADS]

Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 37 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 3488
    If you're going to be out for a while, it's worth the effort of going back to check - not because you might have left the door unlocked, but because you'll remember going back to check and won't spend the time while you're away worrying about it.

Yes, it's to settle the mind. Having such thoughts is the combination of a certain degree of anxiety, coupled with distraction due to other things on the mind - generally, timekeeping.

The door, of course, is never unlocked when checked, and the mind knows it. It just needs reassurance, and for me to say 'done' to myself.

I'm reminded of that Joyce Grenfell sketch, where she's singing a hymn in church, before wondering with mounting alarm if she's left the gas on....

I used to love Joyce Grenfell's "Nursery School". I must check if it's on Youtube.

And while you're about it, don't forget 'The Awful Worrier'........or 'The School Reunion'....

Do you remember Flanders and Swann?

I'm a Gnu - spelt G.N.U.......

It was on the monday morning that the gas man came to call....

Transport of Delight [[London Omnibus)

Mud, Glorious Mud...

[[how am I doing?)

Just logged in again to answer you.

Those are the ones I remember. Classics.

See what I missed?

moe, just interested, do the names Joyce Grenfell, and Flanders and Swann, mean anything to you at all?

There is an American connection with Joyce Grenfell, but I imagine all would probably be regarded as very much a British style of humour, and which might not translate too well...

No, westgrand, I do not recognize the names at all. What I know about British humor is Mr. Bean [[who is funny). Then there's some of the one liners Jeremy Clarkson uses on Top Gear!

Just what I thought, Moe.

You'd have to go back decades to know Joyce G., and F & S..but there are no doubt many, many entertainers when you were young, who were at least one generation above you in age, who you may still recall with similar affection...

I understand........

Do you ever find yourself thinking, when watching current actors/entertainers , that they've drawn a lot of their characterisation and routines from acts who were around decades ago?

I can't think of anyone who have topped the Marx Brothers for madcap comedy. I've watched every one of their movies. For their time..........funny as all get out!
    I'm sure you have some acts over there whom you found hilarious.

Thinking about it, there aren't so many now that I do find laugh-out-loud hilarious.
    That might be because I'm now older, and have seen most, if not all, of it before in some form or another.

When it comes to comedy, it has to be professionally and skilfully presented, with clever and witty repartee and good timing, warm and knowing wihout being overly vulgar, and perhaps with more than a touch of the absurd. Something I can identify with, and not feel threatened or uneasy.

I don't watch as much TV as before, as so much of it is irritating 'filler' [[reality TV, people just giving their own opinions, etc - and repeats) - but what I do enjoy, I tend to watch with gentle amusement.

Yes, the Marx Brothers were extremely innovative, and more than a little anarchic. Groucho's wisecracks don't date. Timeless.....

And, they had the perfect woman in Margaret Dumond! I'm with you, westgrand: I don't watch TV that much anymore. I just don't have the time for it.

It's very reassuring watching double acts, or people who play 'foil' or 'stooge' to other entertainers. George Burns & Gracie Allen just sprang to mind.

As for current TV, it's on for background 'company' here in the evenings, but it's not often I sit and watch it for long, just dip in and out. The breakfast and daytime TV is very often more informative.

At work, we have the radio - which is more portable. It's pleasant, and there's no need to devote all attention to it, as with TV. It serves as a very helpful backdrop and 'soundtrack' to other activities - I find it puts me in a creative frame of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    When it comes to comedy, it has to be professionally and skilfully presented, with clever and witty repartee and good timing, warm and knowing wihout being overly vulgar, and perhaps with more than a touch of the absurd. Something I can identify with, and not feel threatened or uneasy.
    Though I wouldn't normally condone vulgarity, "Mrs Brown's Boys" is so outrageous that I find it irresistible.

I recall we discussed it before, and agreed. In this home, it ticks ALL the boxes, no matter how many repeats are shown. Even the theme song seems charmingly redolent of shows from bygone days.

Reports are that the stage show is far cruder, but I'm not sure I'd get as much from the performances, sat in a large venue. The intimacy of the TV show which draws in the viewer is one of its most beguiling qualities for me.

I have no idea what our good friend Moe would make of it!

I would probably enjoy the stage show. I saw "'Allo 'Allo" on stage, and though it was cruder than the TV series, it was just as enjoyable.

I have bought the DVDs of "Mrs Brown's Boys". The only other TV comedy I have ever bought is "Coupling".

I remember what a revelation it was to discover how talented the stage cast of "Hi-de-Hi" was, about 30 years back.

I find if I buy a DVD, I probably only watch it once, so have rented almost all of 'Mrs Brown's Boys' from LoveFilm [[formerly Tesco).

'Coupling' I've not seen.....

I can guarantee you both that I would probably love it!!

If you're meaning 'Mrs Brown's Boys', Moe, then you should definitely check out this show. While I can't guarantee you will love it, there is always plenty going on to involve and amuse you.

If you know nothing about the show, the central character is Agnes Brown, Irish mother of a large, extended but seriously dysfunctional family. Agnes is played by a man, Brendan O'Carroll, who created the idea, all the characters, and much if not all of the scripts. The TV show is generally set either in Agnes' living room, or kitchen, or at the pub.

It is played on a stage to an uproarious live audience [[NO canned laughter), and the show also includes shots of the audience. Agnes often speaks directly to camera, while the madcap family mayhem goes on around her. Brendan Carroll will often ad lib lines of dialogue, especially if someone else fluffs their own line, causing some of the other actors to 'corpse', but which is very often kept in the show.

Brendan/Agnes will also sometimes 'break the fourth wall' and literally step out from the scene, to joke with a cameraman, then go straight back to the script as if nothing had happened.

Mrs Brown's Boys also features bad language, for which some here in the UK use as a reason to dislike the show, and which is a shame. Without being prissy [[even if I am) I hardly if ever use the F word. Agnes does, and frequently, although normally pronounced as 'feckin' - but in this setting, it is justified, and I find it by NO means offensive - in fact, rather endearing.

Many of the main characters are played by members of Brendan O'Carroll's real-life family, or friends. His wife Jennifer plays his daughter [[!), his sister plays Winnie, the next door neighbour, his son plays his son, etc. A friend of the family plays Rory, Agnes' very camp gay son - but a 'straight' actor plays Rory's other half, Dino, and is just as convincing. It's stereotypical stuff, nothing too 'clever', but spontaneous.

At the end of each show, the cast line up along two or three stage sets, and take their bows directly to the audience, while the show's theme is played.

As a TV production, it isn't perfect. Some say it isn't professional [[it often plays like an enthusiastic amateur production) and when I first saw it, I hated it, but quickly became fascinated. Then came a scene when, in the middle of outright farce, Agnes turned to camera, upset, to confide in the viewer, and the audience sighed "aaaahhhh"- and in an instant, I felt my eyes start to moisten. At that very moment, I became a fan.

It's brash, raw, noisy, knockabout, extremely old-fashioned, vulgar. It's all over the place. It should be a disaster, an embarrassment - but it works. Check out the background details on wikipedia.

You might have to search hard to find another show with as much heart and love on display.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-21-2013 at 06:33 AM.

I'd probably get a bang out of that format, westgrand!!

I'm almost certain you will, moe!

I think the show is going well in Canada, but am unsure if it is currently going out in US.

I'll have to investigate!

Looking forward to hearing your findings, Jessica Fletcher...

Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d:d:d

Moe, if your dvd player[[s) can replay discs from any region [[if not,most can easily be converted) you should have no problem finding some on your forthcoming trip to the home city of 'Mrs Brown' - who, at one point, worked on a fruit and veg stall in a market there.

If you find none, just let me know....

The condom, The condom........!!

Ah. Series 2, episode 1, if I'm not veyr much mistaken.....

You've been peeking....

I could not stop laughing!! Yes I will look for it when I travel! Thanks for the advice!

Safe journey, moe. Hope you're sitting inside. It can get pretty cold, performing stunts out there on those wings...

Never fear, westgrand..........layered clothing will work!

Keeping my eyes firmly closed would work for me.....

You have no sense of adventure

Quite right moe, I'm far too sensible and conservative - but I do let my mind go on little adventures sometimes, and it reports back to me!

Sounds like the adventures of R&B in his shed, westgrand!!!

In a parallel life, Moe. I guess he's still in there, wherever it is.

It's been a while. Maybe someone has locked him in......

Or he locked himself in, westgrand!! One can never be certain [[when R&B is concerned).

His last post was August 28th. Hibernation? Rocket trip to another universe??

Looking for a new place to hide his still?

Still looking for a place to hide; what's new?, more like.....

Maybe he's working on a grand entrance...........like jumping out of the helicopter with Bond! Have to say I found that extremely hilarious!! And Daniel Craig is NOT tiring on the eyes!!!!!!!!

Yes, it was surprising that The Queen was keen to be associated with 'a stunt' like that- although she really just lent her persona to the occasion...but it was for the Olympics, and clearly it's still being mentioned, so made it all the more effective. Can you imagine the response when the idea was first put to her?!

Daniel Craig would indeed be a sight for sore eyes - although, when not acting, to me he seems reticent when being interviewed, perhaps even a little dull. Comes in the category of 'There to be looked at, but not listened to', maybe.....

I understand that nobody thought The Queen would agree, but that she enthusiastically insisted.

Yes, The Queen wished to be a part of the proceedings, instead of simply an interested onlooker. That was a clear indication that she may now , in exceptional circumstances, amend traditional customs which are, on all other occasions, observed as strict protocol.

Once the Queen Mother passed on, the Queen has tended to be more of her own person...but even the Queen Mother liked to have fun.

Even? The Queen Mother was always having fun. Look at the size of the overdraft when she went......

I would think the Queen Mother would've gotten a bang out of the parachute jumping!! It would NOT have surprised me if she would've been involved!