[REMOVE ADS]

smark21 Guest

Who is Esperanza Spaulding?

A very talented musician, that's who she is. Glad she was recognized by the Grammys, even if Justin Bieber fans are having meltdowns and tantrums.

topdiva1 Guest
    Great performer.

Yes she is an awesome performer and deserved the Grammy

I must say I never heard of her until the Grammy's

She is someone that everyone will claim to love now, in order to show they have good taste in music.

I discocovered her off this website and played some of her music. I really like her earlier albums, her latest is getting the most critical acclaim. I'm a big jazz fan but her latest album was a bit too experimental for me, but I can see why people like it. She is really talented. There are some great YouTube clips of her, she's pretty outstanding.

Or...some of us who really do have good taste in music have known about her for years, love what she does and thinks that, once again, Grammy is late to the party.

From my hometown of Portland, OR.

Another talent from Portland is bassist/vocalist Kate Davis who is only about 20.

It seems the jazz community here is very nurturing of young talent.

One thing that Portland has is a great jazz radio station, KMHD, which you can listen to on the internet.
    Last edited by john_c; 02-16-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Or...some of us who really do have good taste in music have known about her for years, love what she does and thinks that, once again, Grammy is late to the party.

Well said Chi..............

Well it wouldve been nice to see a thread about her b4 the Grammy's.Since u guys were hipped to her

She may or may not have had a thread, but she was discussed on the old forum as well. Oft times an artist will be discussed within a thread of another artist. The last time I recall talking about her on this forum was when she appeared at the White House Celebration for Stevie Wonder. Catwoman and GeeTee as well as Chi Drummer are and have been big fans, she is sort of like an adopted ChiTown girl. Speaking for my Chitown brethren, we may not be cutting edge but we are well versed on some of the more diverse and independent artists out there and we certainly give them their due. I really dont care for her latest CD, but she is a very talented young lady.
    Last edited by paladin; 02-16-2011 at 04:21 PM.

As a matter of fact, I happened to catch her in concert back in December of 2010. She was headlining a show with jazz violinist Regina Carter, at Symphony Center in downtown Chicago.

I want to thank Cat for giving my the opportunity to see this concert. Cat was originally scheduled to go ,but couldn't make it . She didn't want the ticket to go to waste ,so I was able to go. Excellent show,and thanks again Cat !

It's funny how so we forget when we have talked about her in the past on this forum. She performed at the White House for the Stevie Wonder tribute.

In case you forgot, take a look ! SMH !

Oh, and congrats for winning "Best New Artist. "
    Last edited by GeeTee(HPK); 02-16-2011 at 04:46 PM.

All those people who think Justin Bieber deserved the grammy over her just don't know talent!

pshark Guest
    I see the beiber fanatics as a bunch of miniature teabaggers.This has been going on for a long time. Every time a Black person beats out a White person, the White mob mentality sets in.
    Joe Louis, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Vanessa Williams, Barack Obama
    Congrats to Esperanza Spalding

Its a joke he was even nominated.

skooldem - I agree with you.

And I applaud AbbieFan for admitting...."Hey, new to me"......in light of aforementioned statement.

I've discovered dozens of people.....some of whom have become personal faves....from the people on SDF.....even from genres that I'm not particularly fond of....such as light/jazz/soul/fusion..... Richard Feldstead [[sic) turned me on to over a dozen songs from that genre that are on my personal playlist, that I would have never discovered on my own.

I had heard of her, but never listened to her until MsM sent me a few youtube links.

I turned my kids onto them......and my oldest grand took a strong liking to Overjoyed.....which she used to play everyday when she got in from school.

I look forward to checking out her latest.....

olamaebarto Guest
    Well the Grammy awards made me buy her CD.

Fuck the Justin Beaver fans.

pshark Guest

I am overjoyed that Esperanza Spaulding won a Grammy, AND that we were able to see it presented to her during the prime time ceremony She is someone we all should know [[to borrow a phrase once used by an esteemed former anchorperson here...). As some of my fellow SDF mates mentioned earlier, we have discussed her, here on the forum. Sometimes, topics do get buried here, but I guess it just comes with the territory. And, BTW, she has performed at the White House several times...

Anyway, I am very impressed with this young sister's musicianship [[is that a word?), especially because she's schooled on many of the jazz masters, e.g., Wayne Shorter, Milton Nascimento, etc. I think she has a very creative, refreshing style, working the old with the new, and so forth, and I hope that she goes far in her career. There are times when the Grammys do get it right If anyone hasn't seen her appearance on PBS' Austin City Limits from last season, I encourage you to go to the PBS Video website and check it out. There is even a brief interview with her, towards the end.

That is all... Oh, and, G., I'm still overjoyed that you were able to go see Esperanza! I'll be the one to go see her, next time she's here.

Cat

P.S. A big cheer from me, too, on Mavis Staples getting her Grammy this year! Too bad we didn't see that in prime time

I 've mentioned Esperanza Spaulding on this forum long before she won her grammy and
    I think only one or two people knew who I was talking about. Anyway I love her and think she'll have a long career and BTW, I don't a sh*t about the grammys...

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pshark View Post
    I see the beiber fanatics as a bunch of miniature teabaggers.This has been going on for a long time. Every time a Black person beats out a White person, the White mob mentality sets in.
    I wouldn't call most of his fanatical followers racists or teabaggers. They're just extremely horny young girls dealing with their first experiences with having orgasms. In a couple of years, most of them will have gotten over Justin Bieber, moved on to other things and start having sex with real boys. And another teen idol will be manufactured to whip up their younger sisters into a similar frenzy.

Do you really feel this way? We are talking about little kids up to the age of 12. Its not about race, its about their little crushes.

Quote Originally Posted by chidrummer View Post
    So true, as usual...I've followed her for some time now and even saw her at out Jazzfest last year...All of the negative feedback from the Beiber fans is catipulting her even closer to the forefront. God works in mysterious ways lol

She mentioned in the September 2010 issue of Down Beat that her next CD will be called "Radio Music Society." It was have a mixture of funk,hip-hop,and rock excursion. [[since her latest CD "Chamber Music Society" didn't appeal to some)

So you been warned what to expect from her next !

"Chamber Music Society" didn't work for me, but it was extremely well-received. I traded it back to the record store, which I rarely due on just-bought new CD's. It was too experimental for me. Her earlier CD's are top notch. No questioning her talent, however, she's worthy of each Grammy and honor she gets.

I thought she was-captain spalding's wife!!

My great grand daughter who just turned 4 last year know Justin and Lady Ga, Ga [[lol). I think most of the Kids that age are riding the wave and when they get older they will make up their own mind on what they like [[I hope so). Anybody who rides the wave and stays on it cause others are doing it is not their own person. Most of that music is light weight fluff with hardly any substance to it.

Always glad to see a top-flight MUSICIAN win such a high-profile award!!! But--now I gotta be fair: Esperanza's first major-label release came out in 2008; she also had an indie-release album out, "Junjo," in 2005.

She's not a "New Artist."

Charles

pshark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    Do you really feel this way? We are talking about little kids up to the age of 12. Its not about race, its about their little crushes.
    Racism come in all ages & color. Look the ugly comments that bieber fans threw @ 50 Cent:

http://popdirt.com/justin-bieber-fan...essages/80163/
    Quote Originally Posted by popdirt.com
    Justin Bieber Fans Bombard 50 Cent With Racist Twitter Messages

Several fans of Justin Bieber reacted to 50 Cent’s Twitter comments about the teen pop star by striking back with obscenity-laced racist Tweets at the G-Unit mainman. Among the Tweets, which along with the sender’s user names Popdirt has censored, include:

biebe****uper: @50cent FU** YOUUUU !!!!!! GET A LIFE !!! NI**ER ! -.

MaRi***2: @50cent Look bastard, stop picking with justin, look for a gayass mutherf***er and tell em to kiss you ni**er .l.

MaRi***2: @50cent NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER NI**ER .L.

jay****Z: @50cent ey bro @justinbieber has a bigger di** than you u jus mad cuz he make more monies than u your a ni**er and umad

robb****95: @50cent u mad ni**er?

Ste****s: @50cent you are the ni**er

Wolf5****und: @50cent Man you suck you little ni**er acic all kewl on twiter 2 lil kids yall. Lol

bieb****work: @50cent AYE NI**ER KISS MY LLMAO BUTTHOLE AND SUCK MY NON EXICSTENT DI**

justi*****ieber: @50cent FU** YOU YOU BITCH ASS MOTHERFU**ER NI**ER A**HOLE! GO DIE!

Biebe****nd: @50cent is a FU**IN NI**ER, y is he sayin those things?? Justin didnt do any fu**in things to him!!!

jbiebe****erxo: @50cent is a stupid coon. #realtalk

Ohio****ebs: @50cent go back to the zoo you belong in . The gorilla exhibit . My dead granny had more swagger then you

Bieb****AArmy: HI. IM @50CENT. IM A HUGE GORILLA, WHO WANTS TO KILL BELIEBERS, HAVE NO GOOD TASTE IN MUSIC, AND I LIKE SUCKING DI** BC IM GAY. KBYE.

iTe****ieber: you just wish you had the support Justin has.. @50cent. fu**ing gorilla man. go back to the zoo. and oh ya. get ur ass back in yo cage.[[:

xAl****ber: @50cent looks like a gorilla :/ lol

Purpl****ber**: @50cent = OLD MAN =JEALOUSY=BLACK GORILLA MAN =BAD RAPPER=BAD TWITTER=BAD SONGS=BAD GENTLE MAN!

xBieb****ast: @50cent your dog ran away from you xD Cause ur a fat gorilla.. Lm comeback but hey its worlks L

Biebe*****ssing: @50cent You look like an APE in your picture. #justsaying

Kiss*****rish_: @50cent its bieber not beave you ape

I discovered this young lady on the BET Awards show. Then she was at one of the PRINCE concerts I went to. Smashing to say the least.

psharkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk wowowowowowowow they sure use the Nwordddddddd and they r how oldddddd

Racism come in all ages & color. Look the ugly comments that bieber fans threw @ 50 Cent:

What the heck is wrong with these twerps!? Seriously going hard for someone who would not spit in thier direction if they were on fire.

Those little Beaver fans are sick.

lil sumpin 4 all u Non -BeBeibers.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2011/tv...violent-death/

The White House clip was very nice as was the first one. She has a good voice and her bass playing is excellent. I hope the next album isn't as experimental.

She eyeballs nicely. Thanks for bringing back big hair -- I've missed it.